User Name: Afflatus Eagle
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:29:07 AM
Daemon wrote:
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)

In all probability, Lance Armstrong could not have agreed more with this pithy saying in private.

And Irish sports journalist David Walsh more or less laid bare the seven deadly sins in his eponymous book on international cycling's worst disgrace on record.
Topic: "My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying,...
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:47:23 AM
Daemon wrote:
"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/G.+K.+Chesterton (1874-1936)

A patriot, if it really came down to that, would first ensure that those leading his nation to what he believes to be perceived injustice to his nation itself or to other nations, are made to mend their ways or removed from their positions of power or influence. While it does feel intellectually appropriate to compare one's country to one's mother, a drunk mother does not bring about intentional harm to others unless her inebriated state itself is a result of external influences for which she probably needs help in the first place.
Topic: All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by one Workman; and however we deceive ourselves, as dear unto God is...
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 1:23:50 AM
In reality though, we would be deceiving ourselves and live in fool's paradise if we were to consider this quote verbatim.
Topic: One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him.
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:38:29 AM
I am afraid that may not be quite correct. One may, standing way back above a ditch, hold one down in it using a long pole. Drool

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.