Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,227
[0.14% of all post / 2.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Natural English
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:27:08 AM
Hello respected teachers,

Is the following natural?

Our company has originally been based on honesty.

Or should it be:

"Our company was originally based on honesty'"?

I am looking forward to your answers.
Topic: Natural English
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:12:40 AM

Please consider this letter as carefully and seriously as possible.

Is the above natural? If not, how would you say it with the same emphasis?

Topic: Sentence structure
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:22:49 AM
Thank you both.

Topic: Meaning difference
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 5:40:04 PM

Do the following sentences mean the same?

Filled with cans of paint, vans travel around the city.

Filled with cans of paint are vans that travel around the city.

Topic: Sentence structure
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 5:31:26 PM

Which of the following is preferred?

There are vans that travel around the city filled with cans of paint.

There are vans filled with cans of paint that travel around the city.

Topic: Tense choice-future time
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 8:28:03 AM

Have I used the best tense to express the future events? The tenses I have chosen are in red.

This semester ends one month from now. My roommate and I are going to the Bahamas for our summer vacation. I will be happy to get away from grammar tests for a while. At the moment we are studying for a grammar test that we have tomorrow. After the test everyone is meeting at Pedro's apartment for a party. The party starts at 5. Tomorrow is Pedro's birthday; he will be 21. All our classmates are helping him to celebrate this happy occasion. He told us not to bring birthday presents, but everyone is buying him something. I don't know what I am going to give him yet, but I will get something before I go to the party.
At the party I will not worry about my grammar test. It begins at 3 tomorrow and ends at 4. I am not thinking about it after 4.

Also, have I used any of the tenses incorrectly? I particularly wanted to use present simple and present progressive to express future time, but I don't know how successful I have been. I appreciate your answers and evaluation.

P.S: I don't know what happened to the other thread; I was recording my voice (since the length of the text was beyond my patience to write) for the system to write in my phone, but it has probably made some typos. That may be the reason for the thread not to open.

Topic: CAMHS choice_future time
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 8:18:59 AM

Have I used the best tense to express the future events? The tenses I have chosen are in red.

This semester in one month from now. My roommate and I are going to the Bahamas for our summer vacation. I will be happy to get away from grammar tests for a while. At the moment we are studying for a grammar test that we have tomorrow. After the test everyone is meeting at Pedro's apartment for a party. The party starts at 5. Tomorrow is Pedro's birthday; he will be 21. All our classmates are helping him to celebrate this happy occasion. He told us not to bring birthday presents, Bart everyone is buying him something. I don't know what I am going to give him yet, but I will get something before I go to the party.
At the party I will not worry about my grammar test. It begins at 3 tomorrow and ends at 4. I am not thinking about it after 4.

Topic: gerund vs infinitive
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:35:12 PM

This Practical IELTS Strategies book is above all (as the name suggests), practical and strategic, giving a clear and achievable framework to maximising your score in the IELTS Writing Task Two.

Why is it "maximising" and not "to maximise"? How could I realize which structure I should use in such cases?

Topic: Tense choice
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:31:43 PM
I thought so, thanks a lot.

Topic: work
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:30:14 PM
Aha, that's it. Thanks for the clarification.Applause

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.