Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 21
[0.00% of all post / 0.27 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What is "fine him a quarter"?
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:40:24 PM
.... or, perhaps, as seen in a report from the Sheep Dipping Committee (Great Britain) in 1904: 'I would fine him a quarter of the value of his sheep — 10s. a head.'
Topic: Doubt about Such
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:10:53 PM
yup, this works for me.

Your interpretation of the predeterminer/determiner thing makes perfect sense for the word such, YKWIA (sorry I was so tempted to try an acronym here ;)

(Now I just realized I use this 'predeterminer' on a daily basis when I tell myself "I'm such an eejit".)

But for what it's worth, I also found this other example for the 'determiner' situation:
It is the only such course in the UK. (i.e. the only course of that kind)

I hear there are other types of predeterminers, then, such as the multipliers and the fractional expressions (so they say):
He makes double my salary; yet he does half the work. (I just wanted to say that somewhere)
Topic: Be well
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:34:16 PM

"to be well" is an infinitive phrase, Jigneshbharati.

An infinitive phrase consists of an infinitive (the root of the verb preceded by to) and any modifiers or complements associated with it - in this case the adjective well.

Infinitive phrases can have various functions; they can act as nouns, adjectives or adverbs.

As DragO explained, what you have here (overall) is a compound predicate: two or more verbs or verb phrases that share the same subject.

Like:

My cupcakes look pretty and taste great.

In your sentence, "well" is predicative. You can piece things together this way too:
it takes quite a while / to / be well

As for your question 'How do I know', well... to be honest, I think it's all about context. Surely, the word 'well' does not always call for the verb 'be. A student can 'do well' at an exam, and patients could 'do well' with a certain therapy. However, in this context, "well" appears to be the end result, so to speak. If this helps, it could be replaced by another adjective, e.g. 'be healthy'. I hope this is helpful.

Topic: Confusing sentences
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:18:32 PM
I'd get rid of the in "There are the four forms of" and "there are the four types of".
Thus:
There are four forms of... and there are four types of...

I have no knowledge about this other thread you refer to.
Topic: Good night to you all
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 6:22:04 PM
That's a lovely post, Robert, thank you.
Good night and sleep well - oíche mhaith!
Topic: Is 'can realise" OK and should it be "one's" instead.
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 6:11:32 PM
A small addition, if I may, dear Koh Elaine: I doubt that the problem with using his out of the blue like this is limited to British English.
"One" is gender neutral; "his" is not.
Topic: meaning of "rather"
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:55:31 PM
Ah thanks for that, drag0.
Tír na nÓg was my first choice too, as it happens. It's only after trying Magh Meall that I realized accented characters weren't the issue at all.
Topic: A Fictitious Character.
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:37:06 PM
Isn't this a wee bit like the signifier (Koh Elaine the username) and the signified (Koh Elaine the fictitious character) - and that third one, with flesh, blood and soul? Will Koh Elaine please come to the stand.

Never mind. I just realize i need to hang on to something, anything.
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:23:45 PM
I s'ppose, yes, Drag0nspeaker (any shorter form of your pen name? it's rather long). The Morrigan is a bit of a dark horse, isn't she though.

Anyway, I must confess: half of that location is not true (sorry for lying, TFD).

I wanted to change because US was there by default. Then I thought, hold on, I'm not so keen to reveal where I actually live. Maybe I'm paranoid, but anyways, I put in the correct country, but not my town. I wanted to add Magh Meall, or Mag Mell - the plain of delights, plain of joy or plain of honey. Unfortunately, the system wanted a "real" place. So I chose the next best thing - Knock.
Knock, Knock, Who's There? - Not me ;)

It's silly, I know.
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 7:01:01 PM
Glad to hear, Romany, and thar, thanks for this Icelandic addition.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.