Interests: English Language
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 604
[0.07% of all post / 0.94 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A Tribute For Educators...
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:06:16 PM
I feel good reading it because I have been a teacher already.

We can't deny that teachers are not as valorized as they used to be.
Maybe when people realize that they couldn't be doctors nor engineers if a teacher hadn't taught them to be one, then we will make progress.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Topic: That she is
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:36:40 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
The sweet and strong girl that she is, Janhvi, on her birthday, visited an old age home to celebrate it with the children and oldies. We got our hands on a photo, where an emotional Janhvi is seen closing her eyes before cutting her birthday cakes
Sridevi's daughter Janhvi Kapoor celebrates her 21st birthday at an old age home - Times of India ►
Is "that she is" a noun clause with "that" as a relative pronoun functioning as an adjective describing the noun "girl"?

Hello.

"That she is" is a relative or adjective clause, which is used to describe a noun, in that case, it's discribing the noun "girl".

"That" is a subordinate conjunction that is used to start noun, relative and adverbial clauses.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Topic: ConditionaL sentence
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:22:00 PM
D00M wrote:

Thank you.

But which of the conditionals does the following belong to?

If the tile factory burned down completely last week I can't finish tiling my bathroom this coming weekend.

Actually, it belongs to none of them since it doesn't follow any of the permitted patterns.

I can understand your sentence as a second conditional.

Because to me, it sounds like you are trying to convey a hypothetical situation (you are imagining a situation that didn't happen and saying what would happen if that had really happened), so since you are trying to express that, the second conditional would be the right choice:

If the tile factory burned down completely last week,, I would not be able to finish tiling my bathroom the next week

Topic: ConditionaL sentence
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:00:29 PM
D00M wrote:
If human language did emanate from a divine source, we have no way of reconstructing that original language.

If so, the following would also be grammatical.

If you did come with me, I go to the cinema.

Is it grammatical?

Well, no.

Neither grammatical nor idiomatic.

Conditional sentences follow a set pattern, which is:

Zero Conditional: Facts that are always true and always happen:

Structure: If + subject + verb in present tense, subject + verb in present tense

Ex: If you don't exercise, you get fat.

1º Conditional: Situations that may happen in future under certain circunstances

Structure: If + subject + verb in its present form, subject + will/is/are going to + verb

Ex: If you work hard, you will found your own company.

2º Conditional: Hypothetical situations (imagining a situation that didn't happen)

Structure: If + subject + verb in its past form, subject + would/could/should/might + verb

Ex: If he did his homework, he would play with his friends freely

3º Conditional: Hypothetical situations that happened in the past

Structure: If + subject + past perfect verb form, subject + would/should/could/might + have + verb

Ex: If he had talked to me, I would have accepted his invitation.

Each one expresses a particular thought and situation and has its unique form.

Topic: clause
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:37:16 PM
Hello Dear.

The underlined part is a complete sentence, as Dragon said.
A complete sentence containing a subordinate clause (whatsoever Adam called every living creature) acting as the subject of the independent clause (that was the name thereof)

"That" replaced the real subject, which is "whatsoever Adam called every living creature", which is a subordinate (or dependent) clause acting as a noun. And a noun, as you know, can be the subject of a sentence. Such subject inversions happen a lot; I will provide more examples later.

Normally, the sentence would be rewritten as following: Whatsoever Adam called every living creature was the name thereof.

Being:

Whatsoever Adam called every living creature the subject of the sentence
was the verb
the name - complement
thereof - adverb (considered to be an adjunt because it is not necessary for the sentence to be complete, that is, it is an optional part)

However, sometimes you can make an inversion, other examples of inversions are:

What I did, that was what he talked about - He talked about what I did.

Such inversions are normally made to emphasize a specific part of a sentence.

Hope it's helped.

Topic: Well rounded
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:02:30 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:

Well-rounded is a VERY COMMON expression, simply meaning that the person in question has a set of skills or a background that includes a wide variety of skills/experiences related to the topic at hand. It's a Very Positive thing to say.

One might disagree with you on your statement, more specifically, one from a different region.

The linguistic diversity is a characteristic of languages that seems not to have been mentioned here before; also, it is undiscussable since it varies from region to region; while some might consider such an expression to mean: smart, others, from different regions, might disagree and claim that it has a slight sexual connotation.

Therefore, while I may be correct about the meaning of that word, you can be as well. It's the famous "inverted six looked at by two different people, from two different angles".

Topic: Well rounded
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:29:04 PM
Hey guys.

I had exactly the same reaction as Hedy did as soon as I saw the title of the topic; the only thing that popped into my mind was: a woman who has sexual relation with many men.
Interesting fact: such an expression is commonly used in Portuguese, which is my mother language, and I quickly associated it to my language, and indeed, it seems that both languages use such an expression alike.

Topic: age
Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:01:04 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Which are/is correct and natural?

1) Preference will be given to candidates of under 40 years old.
2) Preference will be given to candidates under 40 years old.
3) Preference will be given to candidates below 40 years of age.
4) Preference will be given to candidates who are under 40 years old.
5) Preference will be given to candidates below 40.
5) Preference will be given to candidates of under 40.

Hello, D00M.

Only 2, 4 and 5 are correct.

1 - doesn't make sense since there are two prepositions of and under; in some contexts it is correct, but not in that one;
3 - is grammatically correct but doesn't sound good since below implies a more physical or locative context;
5 - again there are two prepositions, which isn't grammatically correct.

Topic: I won't count it as read
Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:45:23 PM
Joe Kim wrote:
Your kid is reading a bbok.

And ypu say: I won't count it as read.

Is this correct?

It depends on what you want to say.

From my perspective, it sounded like you meant: I will not consider it as reading.

Maybe because the book which your kid is reading is not a book which needs much effort to be read. If so, the correct would be what I mentioned above:

I will not consider it as reading

Topic: the other
Posted: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:47:19 PM
If you study defined article, you will get it more easily.

Quick response:

"The" implies that they are unique, or as the name says: Defined.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.