Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 26
[0.00% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Jinxed
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 10:11:52 AM
How can I use Jinxed in real life conversations?
Topic: Rainbow
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 10:07:30 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
You can tell them;

Sunlight is the result of collection seven coloured rays i.e. Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red.
After rain, there are water particle in the sky. When sunlight passes through these tiny particles, we see all the colours of sunlight. Those separated colours togather are known as 'the Rainbow'.

Please don't state any unscientific explanation because it will be imprinted on his/her raw brain permanently and will very difficult to erase.Think

Awesome I explained it and kids understood well!
Topic: Rainbow
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 8:31:27 AM
?If a kid asks how a rainbow appears whats the best way to explain the kid. Because explaining about prisms would not make much good sense to them :) How would anyone explain ?
Topic: Distinguish and Disparity
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 8:09:49 PM
thar wrote:
No. Yes. Sometimes. Maybe looking at the opposite, 'parity', will help you see why.

You can distinguish something that is different from everything else, that stands out because of an attribute - colour, size, meaning, achievement....anytthing that makes it different.

But disparity is not about being different. It is about things not being equal. Parity is equality, fairness. X = Y

So,
There is a disparity between the sales receipts and the money in the till. They should be equal, but they are not. One is bigger than the other.

There is a disparity in exam success rates between male and female students. They should ideally be the same, but one is better than the other.

I understood very well. So an example could say There is a disparity of height in John and his twin brother.
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 8:04:21 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Also 'distinguish' is a verb and 'disparity' is a noun.

You can distinguish John from his twin brother by John's beard. That is their only disparity.

Thanks Thar and Dragon.

So can I use "distinctive" as well.

Example
John is distinctive by his twin brother because he loves to party a lot than his brother which makes them distinguish.

Correct me if I am wrong :D
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:59:24 AM
Does Distinguish and Disparity both can be used to show someone or something as different?

Or does both have different meanings?
Topic: Is Ambiguity used by native english speakers?
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:56:32 AM
Thank you so much for explaining me everything thoroughly!

What are some most common uses of Ambiguity? I have checked online but it's used in places which I cannot use more often. Nothing like getting a proper explanation from a native English speaker. If I want to explain about a particular character who is t open to other ideas. Can I say "Bill is very ambigious"?
Or can I say "Bills statements had so much ambiguity"

I just want to get use of this word and include in my vocabulary in day to day use.
Topic: Is Ambiguity used by native english speakers?
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:44:38 AM
Is Ambiguity used by native English speakers? I don't want to sound like a dictionary or an old book so before I add words to my vocabulary I need native English speakers help.

Ambiguity and Ambiguous. Are these words used? I am looking to beautify the way I speak by adding nice words. Don't want to sound very basic or too old.
Topic: Similar to something
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 4:12:14 PM
Thanks, everyone for helping me. I learned a lot from everyone's post. I was looking for a word like "Equate"

Now I know how I know how to use it. Why did you equate a $50 dollar perfume with a high-end brand like Givenchy!
Perfect for me :D
Topic: Obscured by fog
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 4:06:33 PM
Hi Experts :)

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

My car windscreen was obscured by fog,/
My car windscreen is fogging.

What would make more sense?

Thank you

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.