Statistics
Number of Posts: 15
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Razor?
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 2:10:43 AM
redgriffin wrote:
It appears to be an old Gillette Model

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the style does seem similar to some of Gillette's current disposable razors, e.g., https://tinyurl.com/y7uhl2qs. It's probably easiest to just buy something new. Eh?

JJ
Topic: Razor?
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:22:48 AM
Does anyone know who made this razor? I need to get new cartridges for it and there are no brand markings on it anywhere. I tried a Google image search, but it didn't find it. I've also looked through pages of razor listings on Amazon. Nada.

Thanks, JJ.

Topic: Prez Elect Trump
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 11:02:44 PM
Romany wrote:
The President of Am. lives in the White House where security has been honed to ensure his - and everyone else in the Whitehouses - safety.
Trump refuses. It's going to cost the taxpayer millions to ensure security in T.T. (the exact cost per day is available through many sources) as well as affecting the citizens of the city in which he lives by making his place a target. Why is he able to change it as he goes along and endanger an entire city?

He is only "president elect" and not "president" at this time. He can't be in the White House yet because President Barack Obama, his family and staff are still there. He won't be president until/if he's inaugurated.
Topic: Russian interference in US 2016 election is akin to an act of war.
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:48:27 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Wasn't the USA's interference in the elections in Iran in 1953, Guatemala in 1954, Indonesia and the Lebanon in 1958, Chile in 1970, Iraq in 1972-1975, Afghanistan in 1980, (all of which were to assist rebels in the overthrow of democratically elected governments) similar (if more violent and overt) to any Russian intervention here?

Yes, Henry Kissinger's actions as Richard Nixon's secretary of state against Chilean President Allende's government which lead to September 11th 1973 were crimes against humanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Chilean_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

Then there was Donald Rumsfeld's overtures to Saddam Hussein as part of the Reagan administration.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

But Americans have a national Alzheimer's Disease problem. Everyone wants to cheer "Go Red, White and Blue!," but they forget the dirty deeds their own country has done. Just "give me convenience or give me death" to paraphrase a famous quote. So, Russia's flag is also Red, White and Blue. It will look nice on The Donald's desk and perhaps elsewhere.
Topic: Prez Elect Trump
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:20:56 AM
snafu22q wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Will Trump prove to be good and efficient president ?

No.

Let me start this by stating some demographics - I am a white male in his mid-60s. I have a lot of college hours, but no bachelor degree. I've traveled extensively, but when living in the States, I have almost always lived in Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. I worked on the railroad for 15 years, and have been in high tech (technical writer) for the last 24 years - so I've been both blue & white coller.

I state that only to point out that, from that bit of information, you would think I am a prime candidate for being a Trump supporter. Nothing could be further from the truth. I might also state that since this last election, I have never been more ashamed or pessimistic about my country.

From the beginning, he was an embarrassment, a clown, a carnival barker. At every slight, or even statements of fact about his past, his only solution was to attack his critics with name-calling, insults, and bizarre rants (and tweets, of course). He single-handedly devolved campaign behavior to a low I didn't think possible. And this in a country that has seemed to revel in 2 & 4-year cycles of constant bombardment of half truths and assertions. Now it has been made worse by the new Cretin in Charge, still tweeting in the night how he feels that a popular TV show portrays him unfairly, but chooses not to attend the daily security briefings. His priorities are clear...

Thank you!

That was all very well written.

Please allow me the privilege of summarizing it by saying...

Having the Donald for a president will likely be analogous to hiring a chainsaw wood carver for an upcoming brain surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptxjrmqo2Xo

But the Donald can shave your head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I
Topic: Defending Democracy
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:40:10 AM
progpen wrote:
Another item in there should be:

21. Protect the vote.

Yes, people need to vote. Almost half the population of eligible voters in the US sat on the sidelines and didn't exercise their right to vote. A different twist on an old saying, but if you don't use it, you'll lose it. Or, in the case of voting, it might get taken away, e.g., thanks go to the Supreme Court for gutting the voting rights act.
Topic: Frightened by Donald Trump?
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:15:27 AM
Frightened by Donald Trump? You don’t know the half of it.
by George Monbiot

Many of his staffers are from an opaque corporate misinformation network. We must
understand this if we are to have any hope of fighting back against them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/30/donald-trump-george-monbiot-misinformation

"Over this time, I have watched as tobacco, coal, oil, chemicals and
biotech companies have poured billions of dollars into an international
misinformation machine composed of thinktanks, bloggers and fake citizens’
groups. Its purpose is to portray the interests of billionaires as the
interests of the common people, to wage war against trade unions and beat
down attempts to regulate business and tax the very rich. Now the people
who helped run this machine are shaping the government.

I first encountered the machine when writing about climate change. The
fury and loathing directed at climate scientists and campaigners seemed
incomprehensible until I realised they were fake: the hatred had been paid
for. The bloggers and institutes whipping up this anger were funded by oil
and coal companies.

Among those I clashed with was Myron Ebell of the Competitive Enterprise
Institute (CEI). The CEI calls itself a thinktank, but looks to me like a
corporate lobbying group. It is not transparent about its funding, but we
now know it has received $2m from ExxonMobil, more than $4m from a group
called the Donors Trust (which represents various corporations and
billionaires), $800,000 from groups set up by the tycoons Charles and
David Koch, and substantial sums from coal, tobacco and pharmaceutical
companies.

For years, Ebell and the CEI have attacked efforts to limit climate
change, through lobbying, lawsuits and campaigns. An advertisement
released by the institute had the punchline “Carbon dioxide: they call it
pollution. We call it life.”

It has sought to eliminate funding for environmental education, lobbied
against the Endangered Species Act, harried climate scientists and
campaigned in favour of mountaintop removal by coal companies. In 2004,
Ebell sent a memo to one of George W Bush’s staffers calling for the head
of the Environmental Protection Agency to be sacked. Where is Ebell now?
Oh – leading Trump’s transition team for the Environmental Protection
Agency
."

So now, not only is the fox guarding the hen house, but the Devil is teaching Sunday School.
Topic: Defending Democracy
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2016 6:18:48 AM
A Yale history professor’s powerful, 20-point guide to defending democracy under a Trump presidency

http://qz.com/846940/a-yale-history-professors-20-point-guide-to-defending-democracy-under-a-trump-presidency/

Americans are no wiser than the Europeans who saw democracy yield to fascism, Nazism, or communism. Our one advantage is that we might learn from their experience. Now is a good time to do so. Here are twenty lessons from the twentieth century, adapted to the circumstances of today:

1. Do not obey in advance.

Much of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then start to do it without being asked. You’ve already done this, haven’t you? Stop. Anticipatory obedience teaches authorities what is possible and accelerates unfreedom.

2. Defend an institution.

Defend an institution. Follow the courts or the media, or a court or a newspaper. Do not speak of “our institutions” unless you are making them yours by acting on their behalf. Institutions don’t protect themselves. They go down like dominoes unless each is defended from the beginning.

3. Recall professional ethics.

When the leaders of state set a negative example, professional commitments to just practice become much more important. It is hard to break a rule-of-law state without lawyers, and it is hard to have show trials without judges.

4. When listening to politicians, distinguish certain words.

Look out for the expansive use of “terrorism” and “extremism.” Be alive to the fatal notions of “exception” and “emergency.” Be angry about the treacherous use of patriotic vocabulary.

5. Be calm when the unthinkable arrives.

When the terrorist attack comes, remember that all authoritarians at all times either await or plan such events in order to consolidate power. Think of the Reichstag fire. The sudden disaster that requires the end of the balance of power, the end of opposition parties, and so on, is the oldest trick in the Hitlerian book. Don’t fall for it.

6. Be kind to our language.

Avoid pronouncing the phrases everyone else does. Think up your own way of speaking, even if only to convey that thing you think everyone is saying. (Don’t use the internet before bed. Charge your gadgets away from your bedroom, and read.) What to read? Perhaps The Power of the Powerless by Václav Havel, 1984 by George Orwell, The Captive Mind by Czesław Milosz, The Rebel by Albert Camus, The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt, or Nothing is True and Everything is Possible by Peter Pomerantsev.

7. Stand out.

Someone has to. It is easy, in words and deeds, to follow along. It can feel strange to do or say something different. But without that unease, there is no freedom. And the moment you set an example, the spell of the status quo is broken, and others will follow.

8. Believe in truth.

To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power, because there is no basis upon which to do so. If nothing is true, then all is spectacle. The biggest wallet pays for the most blinding lights.

9. Investigate.

Figure things out for yourself. Spend more time with long articles. Subsidize investigative journalism by subscribing to print media. Realize that some of what is on your screen is there to harm you. Learn about sites that investigate foreign propaganda pushes.

10. Practice corporeal politics.

Power wants your body softening in your chair and your emotions dissipating on the screen. Get outside. Put your body in unfamiliar places with unfamiliar people. Make new friends and march with them.

11. Make eye contact and small talk.

This is not just polite. It is a way to stay in touch with your surroundings, break down unnecessary social barriers, and come to understand whom you should and should not trust. If we enter a culture of denunciation, you will want to know the psychological landscape of your daily life.

12. Take responsibility for the face of the world.

Notice the swastikas and the other signs of hate. Do not look away and do not get used to them. Remove them yourself and set an example for others to do so.

13. Hinder the one-party state.

The parties that took over states were once something else. They exploited a historical moment to make political life impossible for their rivals. Vote in local and state elections while you can.

14. Give regularly to good causes, if you can.

Pick a charity and set up autopay. Then you will know that you have made a free choice that is supporting civil society helping others doing something good.

15. Establish a private life.

Nastier rulers will use what they know about you to push you around. Scrub your computer of malware. Remember that email is skywriting. Consider using alternative forms of the internet, or simply using it less. Have personal exchanges in person. For the same reason, resolve any legal trouble. Authoritarianism works as a blackmail state, looking for the hook on which to hang you. Try not to have too many hooks.

16. Learn from others in other countries.

Keep up your friendships abroad, or make new friends abroad. The present difficulties here are an element of a general trend. And no country is going to find a solution by itself. Make sure you and your family have passports.

17. Watch out for the paramilitaries.

When the men with guns who have always claimed to be against the system start wearing uniforms and marching around with torches and pictures of a Leader, the end is nigh. When the pro-Leader paramilitary and the official police and military intermingle, the game is over.

18. Be reflective if you must be armed.

If you carry a weapon in public service, God bless you and keep you. But know that evils of the past involved policemen and soldiers finding themselves, one day, doing irregular things. Be ready to say no. (If you do not know what this means, contact the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and ask about training in professional ethics.)

19. Be as courageous as you can.

If none of us is prepared to die for freedom, then all of us will die in unfreedom.

20. Be a patriot.

The incoming president is not. Set a good example of what America means for the generations to come. They will need it.

Topic: Can democracy survive a trump presidency?
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2016 5:25:12 AM
Democrats will botch the resistance against Trump
Liberalism is not built for moments like these.

https://thinkprogress.org/democrats-will-botch-the-resistance-against-trump-1f8c211c7b68#.9nea714ek

"... in the early days of the Obama presidency, Republicans set out to undermine the very system that allowed the new president to govern. Republicans on the Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act. Republican state lawmakers enacted a wave of voter suppression laws. Republican governors backed legislation designed to hobble unions, dismantling a major base of Democratic support in the process. Gerrymandering locked in Republican control of the House of Representatives, preventing Democrats from governing even after their House candidates received more votes than their GOP counterparts in 2012. And similarly gerrymandered maps locked in control of state legislatures.

In 2013, for example, Democrats swept all three statewide offices in the Commonwealth of Virginia, but Republicans captured a 67–33 supermajority in the state’s House of Delegates. Pennsylvania elected a Democratic governor in 2014, yet Republicans enjoyed a 120–83 majority in the state house and a 30–20 majority in the state senate.

And these trends are only likely to continue under President Trump. With both houses of Congress and the White House under their control, GOP lawmakers could pass national legislation similar to the anti-union bill Gov. Scott Walker (R) signed in Wisconsin, or even ban unions altogether. They could enact the most aggressive state voter suppression laws at the federal level, conduct nationwide purges of voter rolls, criminalize common types of voter registration drives, repeal what remains of the Voting Rights Act, and supply Attorney General Jeff Sessions — a man who knows something about voter suppression — with an army of lawyers and federal agents tasked with intimidating Democratic voters and activists.

Meanwhile, they could cut off much of the information voters need to participate in a democracy. As my colleague Ned Resnikoff warns, agencies like the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which are tasked with providing accurate data about issues such as job growth, could eventually be staffed with cronies who report baked numbers. In the worst case scenario, as Vox’s Matt Yglesias lays out, Trump could use his regime to reward companies that treat him well and punish those that displease him — eventually turning America’s entire economic apparatus into a means of preserving his rule.

Would such efforts be unconstitutional? Many of them would be. But that won’t matter much if Trump controls the judiciary. And he’ll have a head start in that regard thanks to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-KY) successful tactic of holding open a seat on the Supreme Court until a Republican was elected to the White House.

All of which is a long way of saying that the tools of American liberalism, and the Democratic Party that relies on these tools, are poorly suited to the particular threat Donald Trump presents to democracy — and that the Republican Party frankly began to present almost immediately after Barack Obama took office. By propping up Trump’s constitutional legitimacy despite his democratic illegitimacy, Clinton and Obama appealed to the rule of law. But what happens when the rule of law is turned against itself?

What happens when the president may owe his victory to a longstanding Republican campaign to undermine the sanctity of our democracy? And what happens if that president perfects that campaign?

The biggest danger of a Trump presidency and a Republican Congress isn’t that they may enact terrible policies. It is that they might entrench their own rule in ways that cannot be easily undone."
Topic: Hamilton Electors Seek to Stop Trump
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2016 7:07:27 AM
There may be hope yet...

Meet the 'Hamilton Electors' Hoping for an Electoral College Revolt

The presidential election officially ends in December once the members vote. Two want to convince their colleagues to withhold the White House from Donald Trump.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/meet-the-hamilton-electors-hoping-for-an-electoral-college-revolt/508433/

Although the presidential election was called for Donald Trump on the night of November 8, it’s not actually over until the 538 members of the Electoral College vote on December 19. In the weeks between now and then, two Democratic electors are hoping to convince their colleagues to select someone other than Trump for the presidency.

Michael Baca of Colorado and Bret Chiafalo of Washington state call themselves the Hamilton Electors, in a nod to Alexander Hamilton’s explanation of the Electoral College’s necessity. The founding father and first U.S. Treasury secretary once said that the body exists to ensure that “the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” By Baca and Chiafalo’s reckoning, it exists to prevent a Trump presidency.
Latest from Politics

“We’re trying to be that ‘break in case of emergency’ fire hose that’s gotten dusty over the last 200 years,” Chaifolo told me. “This is an emergency.”

In every other presidential election in history, the members of the Electoral College have voted in accordance with the popular vote in their respective states. Because Trump has more electoral votes than Hillary Clinton does—290 to her 232—his November haul should translate to a win in December’s election. But Baca and Chiafalo argue that this isn’t like every other election in history—and thus electors should feel empowered to break tradition.

Baca described their best-case scenario: uniting 135 Republican and 135 Democratic electors behind a moderate Republican candidate, thus securing that person’s position as president with the required 270 votes. If that doesn’t work, and it’s highly unlikely it will, they’re hoping they can at least convince 37 of the Republican electors whose states went for Trump to default and support the compromise candidate. That would bring Trump’s count below 270, and the election would then go to the House of Representatives. While there’s a strong chance that, in that hypothetical scenario, the Republican-controlled House would nevertheless vote to install Trump, Baca and Chiafolo would hope that, given the opportunity, they would support a more conventional Republican instead.

This would be in the legislature’s best interest, Baca said, because a different Republican candidate who “actually knows what they’re doing” would be able to more smoothly enact a Republican Congress’s agenda. Though Baca and Chiafolo’s states voted for Clinton, they said they would both gladly support a moderate compromise candidate from the GOP; Chiafolo, a Bernie Sanders supporter during the Democratic primary, previously told a Seattle Times reporter that he hadn’t “ruled out” withholding his vote from Clinton.

College of Charleston political science professor Claire Wofford explained to me that the founding fathers were actually quite afraid of direct democracy; they put the Electoral College in place as a fail-safe to protect the American presidency from a candidate who’s popular but unfit for office. “Several features of our government are designed to ‘filter’ what the [constitutional] framers saw might be the irrationality and emotion of the populace, including the Electoral College,” she said. “So you could argue that the election of Trump is just such an instance, in which a demagogue has somehow managed to ‘sway’ an easily misled public.” Wofford said “there is no explicit federal or constitutional ban on electors selecting candidates as they wish, even if that means departing from the popular vote of the state.”

http://www.hamiltonelectors.com/

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.