Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Which word order is correct?
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:00:39 AM
In my opinion, the first one sounds much better. I think the second sentence would need to have "a" replaced with "the" to be grammatically sound, but even then it sounds a bit strange.

In addition, the sentence will have a silghtly different emphasis depending on the word order:

(1) Implies we're not certain whether there's a new volunteer among these students, so we're essentially asking whether there is one or not.

(2) Implies we already know there is one new volunteer, so we're asking who exactly it is among the students.
Topic: "Demand" and object?
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:14:57 PM
Thank you so much for finding the time to provide me with such in-depth answers, thar! I think I understand how to use the word much better now, and I need to keep in mind even native speakers make mistakes.
I'm pretty fluent in my own native language and I do tend to notice it when people use grammatically wrong expressions and vocabulary that have become commonplace despite being wrong. Language tends to evolve (or deteriorate, depending on how you see it), be it English, Finnish or whatever, right?

I feel like I now have the courage to tell my native speaker friend that even he might be wrong, instead of always silencing myself with the reasoning of "Of course he knows better, being a native speaker and whatnot." I'm at least trying to improve and learn from my mistakes in all languages, native or non-native, something that not everyone wants to do.
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:11:27 PM
thar wrote:
Sometimes there is an implied object.

But I think there is a confusion between demand and command here.

On its own, 'I demand you' means nothing. It is wrong without an object.

But when what you demand is clear, you don't need to repeat it.

So,
Respect me. I demand you do that. I demand it.

I demand you to...
no. Wrong.

I command you to do something.
I demand [that] you do something.

I command you to respect me. Respect me! I command you.
I demand that you respect me. I demand it.

I must say I wasn't expecting to get the first answer this quickly! Maybe I didn't phrase my question clearly because like I mentioned, my confusion stems from the language my friend uses. Since I can't really put my finger on why it feels wrong, I have trouble transforming my confusion into a question.

I guess my main question was whether the last two example questions are correct or not. Especially the very last one rubs me the wrong way (I heard my native speaker friend use a sentence like that), because it's not at all clear what is being demanded. I assume he meant something like "you can't make demands" (because you have no power to do so), but even that sounds a bit strange to me. Maybe "demand" isn't the best choice of word here?

Also, I would like you to elaborate on why "I demand you to..." is wrong. I'm pretty sure I have heard that phrase being used and even Google gives a lot of hits for the phrase from books and such. Perhaps is it something that a lot of people say without realizing it's incorrect?
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:41:12 PM
I'm confused whether or not the verb "demand" requires an object. For example, I know these sentences are correct:

- I demand respect (from you).
- I demand you to respect me.

But is it grammatically correct to use the word "demand" without any kind of object in the sentence, as in:

- Respect me. I demand you.
- You have no power here. You can't demand me.

I've been a regular user of The Free Dictionary for just over a year now, but I have barely ever visited the forums. I usually ask my English native speaker friend for advice, but sometimes I feel like even he's mistaken. He keeps using sentences like the last two of the examples I wrote (which I declare as questionable), and I can't help but feel like they just don't sound right.

I have a habit of brushing these nagging feelings to the side with an: "What do I know, I'm just a non-native speaker." But I've finally come to the realization it would be much more constructive for me to ask for second or even third opinions.

So please, provide me with some well-informed opinions. :)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.