Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 107
[0.01% of all post / 0.80 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: hard-luck story
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:25:55 PM
Unlike "Down on one's luck", a tale told by the pitying others.
Topic: beer muscles
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 1:06:05 PM
Beer muscle goes well with bird brain.
Topic: Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing, and dancing sooner than war.
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:10:02 PM
Daemon wrote:
Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing, and dancing sooner than war.

Homer (900 BC-800 BC)

No sooner do they get tired of war, having lost much sleep over it, with no lost love for what made them go to war,
than they start singing the praises and dancing to the drumbeat of the next one.
Topic: Peace of Riga between Poland and Soviet Union (1921)
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:30:15 PM
The sins of the (fore)fathers still visited on the nationalist sons.
Topic: Teach him to think for himself? Oh, my God, teach him rather to think like other people!
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 6:37:58 PM
Daemon wrote:
Teach him to think for himself? Oh, my God, teach him rather to think like other people!

Mary Shelley (1797-1851)

Oh, my God, teach him first how to think so he may think like other people, before he can think for himself.
Topic: Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid.
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:14:33 PM
Daemon wrote:
Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Things weighty and solid have a way of keeping to the high ground where fame can't reach.
They may be left high and dry, of course.Think
Topic: Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:10:29 AM
Daemon wrote:
Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Next to trying is doing, next to winning is enjoying your doing, there is no second best.
Topic: idiot mittens
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:47:12 PM
Daemon wrote:
idiot mittens

Mittens or gloves that are attached to one's sleeves by a length of yarn or string so as to prevent their being lost. More...

They still got lost with the advent of idiot texting.
Topic: be (someone's) huckleberry
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 3:37:25 PM
Daemon wrote:
be (someone's) huckleberry

dated To be well or perfectly suited to someone's job, need, or purpose. Primarily heard in US. More...

A patsy will do.Boo hoo!
Topic: Why Trump Needs to Pay Attention to Russia (and I don't mean his scandal)
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:52:17 PM
Hope123 quoting from cbc.ca: "It's been reported that Russia has developed plans to deploy 80,000 troops to the Far North in a crisis."

I wonder if The Parser was the source of this reporting and CBC just up and ran with it, eh? Eh?
Seem to remember him being chastised in this forum for having used similarly vague manner of attributing--though for different reasons, methinks. Let's watch for the proverbial beam in the eye, shall we?

To be more specific, and seriously, isn't "It's been reported" even worse than news originating from "senior officials" and other pettifogging anonymous sources we've been copiously fed lately?
It should be, since probably it's been reported already as coming from such sources, and now for good measure, it can be claimed that "it's been reported". Why quote something like that?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.