Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The approachment of day no. 347
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:00:39 PM
This Monday is the 347th day of the year. You think anything significant - having, perhaps, to do with Donald Trump and his relationships to his family or colleagues - is going to happen?
Topic: Throwaway essay
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:10:02 PM
A few months ago I attempted to write this essay but never managed to complete it. Anyway, if anyone's interested, you can find it here. It is about cancer and how it is related to family and social relationships.
Topic: Shouldn't names of scientific or scholarly fields not be used for things they study?
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 1:49:21 AM
Well, ok, but if one says "biological equipment" then that is precisely the kind of equipment that one is trying to refer to - used for the study of life. But hunger as a "biological need" doesn't really make sense - it is not something which is something that pertains, directly, to studying biology.

Physics is an exception - it doesn't not make sense to say "physical" process, but it wouldn't for "cosmological" (or any other form of word derived from the name of a scientific or scholarly field) process.
Topic: Shouldn't names of scientific or scholarly fields not be used for things they study?
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:44:40 PM
Whenever one uses a form of a word derived from the name of a particular field of science or scholarly study (such as "biological", "psychological" etc.) to name things the area actually studies (such as hunger or thirst, for example) doesn't that lead to a certain conceptual mis-fitness? A biological need might be a need to buy a set of biology-related books for the library or scientists in the university laboratory being precluded from carrying out experiments because there is a shortage of equipment for doing so, but whenever words formed from names of scientific/scholarly areas are used to refer to things the areas study, it seems to me misplaced.

I cannot think of words the usage of which would be an acceptable enough alternative for saying something like "hunger is a biological need", saying "bodily" would seem to rob one of one's awareness of one's wishes (which is a psychically injurious result and happens, among other things, whenever one chooses a way of wording what one wants to say that is overly cleaned), and the word "physical" would seem to me better to be reserved for phenomena which physics studies.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.