Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 367
[0.04% of all post / 0.64 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Addition to the British Royal Family
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:18:49 AM
progpen wrote:
looks like this little one is 5th in line to the throne.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_British_throne

Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince George, Princess Charlotte (love that name), then the new baby.

Is it so? I thought she gave birth to two boys before (so this one is the third child), so those two I would guess would come first in line?

Edit: OH, sorry! I was completely wrong, the second was a daughter Charlotte (lovely name - true!). For some reason I thought they had two boys, so I thought you were talking about some collateral lines.

So you are quite right with your succession tree.
Topic: Addition to the British Royal Family
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 8:25:07 AM
Good Afternoon!

Just heard the news.

Congratulations to British friends on the new addition to the Royal Family.

Kate Middleton proves to be a good wife. Angel Thanks to her Brits will have a lot of choice in selecting their future monarch at some point, when the time will come for this newest generation to take over.
Topic: Roger water’s reaction to syria attack : false propaganda
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:15:38 AM
towan52 wrote:

When certain people upset certain people, the second lot of certain people get certain other people to smear a poisonous nerve-agent (novichok) on a certain door handle.

Ah, that...
I think I can do without gloves...Think As a mortal man I don't expect to be fully protected from whatever some jerks can think of doing, anyway. And hardly a man of any sense can hope to never upset anybody, either. So I am prepared to take that natural risk.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:02:30 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Even within the UK . . .

I see. But within the UK I assume you can have access to all these channels you mention, so you can compare and take note of the differences in stories each of them is telling.

That's exactly my point - I think it would help a lot if there was more overlap in TV coverage internationally. So whenever there seems to be a problem that involves two or more countries, people can see the picture of events as it is presented on the other side(s), too.

This would limit the room for sheer lies and help to filter out at least such disagreements that are quite artficial, i.e. based on lies and provocations.

Then of course there may remain disagreements of substence, i.e. where actual national interests may come into conflict. Those will still have to be addressed, but even there - more numerous and broader channels of communication would be favourable for early and peaceful resolution.

Just like nations send diplomatic envoys and missions on the reciprocal basis, I think it is important to maintain similar reciprocal exchanges in the area of information and media. At the moment it doesn't workthis way, as far as I can see.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:53:15 AM
Y111 wrote:
Reasons? Cannibals have their reasons too, don't they? ;)

I never said "good reasons", I said "reasons" Angel

Anyway, I want to join Drago and Progpen on that important point of access to competing sources of information, including foreign sources.

Besides providing the consumer with a more balanced and true picture of events, such access also has a disciplining effect on the media themselves. Since what they like to do is to tell different stories to people in different countries, thus provoking and "managing" conflicts at their will (spreading "manageable chaos"). It would not be as easy if more media, especially TV, operated across borders.

My immediate concern in this regard is what we hear about Brits considering banning (de-licensing) the RT in the UK. Not only do I feel sorry for the fact that British people will have less diverse choice of sources of information, but I am even more concerned about our own guys here, who are sure to push for retaliatory measures. So I won't be able to watch BBC, if they go with it. Not that I think that BBC is any less politically biased that Russia24, for example, but I do appreciate access to that source.

"Devide and rule" is their motto...

Topic: Reform of the Calendar
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:18:39 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Four-week months would just ruin the whole thing. I'd end up sleeping when I should be working and eating when I should be sleeping - most confusing!

Why is this? Your work schedule is organized in 7 days intervals, that's Okay. Why would the four week months be any less compatible with this than the current chaotically organized "months" that have come from who knows where?
Topic: when elephants roost in trees
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:10:08 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

"When hell freezes over" is the one I know.
It's similar to "Yes, sure you'll get a dollar a pound - and pigs might fly!"

Thanks, I will remember these two. Angel
Topic: when elephants roost in trees
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:56:44 AM
Hello! This is from "Gone With The Wind".

("they" are bales of cotton that Rhett had bought before the war started)

Rhett: I’m holding them until the English mills have to have cotton and will give me any price I ask. I wouldn’t be surprised if I got a dollar a pound.”

Scarlett: “You’ll get a dollar a pound when elephants roost in trees!”

I think the phrase in bold means "You will never get this price", but I would like to ask whether this is a common idiom, or just a one-time invention by Margaret Mitchell (the author).
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:04:23 AM
Y111 wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

One equates all western leaders with cannibals.

Why all? There are only three of them in the picture.

Again, each of them had their reasons. Picturing them in this way doesn't help anything. Today you picture political leaders of three major coutries as cannibals. Tomorrow they will want to retaliate and publish a picture of Russians eating Syrian children.

I mean, this is all bullshit. Trading insults instead of serious talk. It's just not the right way to handle things.
Topic: Digital is a noun or an adjective
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:50:27 AM
I seem to have heard it in business talk like that on Bloomberg TV channel.

I think they say "digital" for either "digital economy" or "digital equipment industry", as Drago suggested.

I sense some might even have wanted to capitalize it in writing:
the magnitude of the disruptive economic force Digital has become.

Hence the absence of the article, as with proper names.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.