Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 269
[0.03% of all post / 0.70 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: to refuse something/to do something... and same with "deny"
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:41:59 AM
Thanks for a detailed response, Drago!

Yes, I do undertsand there are shorter ways to say this and the simpler you can say things the better as long as the intended meaning is there.

I just wanted to check just in case... Because I think I can imagine circumstances where "you did not help" would be too weak. You may want to say "you refused to help". Explicitely. Remeber I asked you to help and you refused. A situation of that sort. So I just wanted to check which of the two option s (refused help / refused to help) is gramatically correct and/or sounds more natural. I understand it's the second, and also thanks for explaining how "deny" differs.
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:13:27 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Yes - a slightly different aspect - just a bit 'stronger'.

To deny someone food is to stop them from getting any (from anywhere).
To refuse someone food is just to not give them any (yourself).

Thank you, Dragon, these examples are very clear.

So I understand to refuse someone food sounds fine, it only doesn't work well with "help", is this correct?
Then I'd like to test one more option if I may.. What about saying it in the passive voice? E.g.
I would help you, had I not been refused help last week.

Does this sound better?
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:04:18 AM
I see, thanks a lot!
Interesting aspect about to deny possibly having implications on other persons. I never knew it.
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:04:35 AM
Good morning!

I guess one can say:
I would help you if only you had not refused to help me last week.

I have two questions:

(1) Can the same thing be said this way:
I would help you if only you had not refused me help last week.

(2) Can the verb to deny be used instead of to refuse:
I would help you if only you had not denied me help last week.

d'oh!
Thank you very much.
Topic: the word order
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 4:35:03 AM
If I may advise, I would specify a little more what you mean exactly, e.g.:

The more inhabited regions become (or maybe even - The more populated regions become), the smaller becomes the gap between big cities and rural areas in terms of social facilities etc...
Topic: Why "worry"?
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 4:23:09 AM
... many people express concern that ...
Topic: idioms used to angrily tell someone something
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 9:50:10 AM
This whole business of swear words is nevertheless an interesting subject. Although the words themselves differ in different languages, they seem to have similar roots historically.

For example, if a Russian speaking man walking in the dark hits his leg against some heavy thing left on the floor, he usually exclaims a swear word that can be translated as "bitch + hoe". An English speaking man in similar circumstances says "f..k".

Think
The meaning of the word is different, but the underlining idea seems to be the same: Oh, If only I didn't need so badly all those bitches who have put this thing here for me.
Topic: Should the bold preposition be in upper case?
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:09:15 AM
On the other hand, "and" and "or" do seem to be normally left in the lowercase, like in "Me, Myself and I", "Love It or Leave It" ...
Topic: Should the bold preposition be in upper case?
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:00:10 AM
Really? I think I've seen them capitalised pretty often, at least in names of songs -
"As Tears Go By" (Rolling Stones), "Baby By Me" (50 Cent), "Lady In Black" (Rolling Stones? I believe so),...

But maybe all those are mistakes that have somehow become acceptable in the music industry.
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 5:48:34 AM
TheParser wrote:
No. 14

DEDICATED FLOORS

5. In my OPINION, if university students want to live on dedicated floors, they should have the right to do so.

Hmm... At first glance this looks as a measure to further foster divisions.
If, for example, people of different races don't feel safe living as neighbours, then that is the problem to be solved. Just inviting them to live on different floors doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible solution. Next time they'll say they can't eat in the same room or study in the same classroom.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.