[0.01% of all post / 0.66 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The use of SIR and MA'AM
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:00:32 AM
TheParser wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:

I am going to States any time soon.

Bon voyage, Kirill.

Thanks, but unfortunately that was a typo: it should have been "I am not going any time soon".Brick wall
Topic: The use of SIR and MA'AM
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:49:56 AM
Thank you for the advice, TheParser!

(I am going to States any time soon, I am afraid, but will keep this advice in mind for future reference).

What about Britain? Is it Okay to address strangers "sir" (males)? And what would be the most appropriate word for females these days? I mean, in formal situations, like when talking to a customs officer, bank or postal clerk, etc?
Topic: i.e vs viz.
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:00:06 AM
Can it be that e.g. intruduces one or several examples out of a longer list, while viz. introduces the complete and exhaustive list?

E.g.

There are nine planets in the Solar system, viz. Mercury, Venus, Earth,..., and Pluto. ("e.g." doesn't seem to work here, and "i.e." doesn't seem to be a good option either)

Some planets are gas giants, e.g. Jupiter.

Some planets are gas giants, i.e. believed not to have a solid core.
Topic: (Expression) That water is old!
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 8:43:06 AM
hedy mmm wrote:

Frosty X Rime wrote that 'Tony is an amazing guy', and I agree...it means Tony has a FORGIVING spirit...he didn't reward 'Evil for Evil'...he is amazing!
hedy

And that despite the fact that Tony did have a good pretext for not hiring Raul. The fact that Raul "almost fainted" at seeing his interviewer would have been a great excuse for disqualifying him from an "important job"..
Topic: Which is the correct sentence?
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 6:52:24 AM
I'd guess "have been" is correct since you are talking about many people here (one in nine out of a great number), but let's see what others say.
Topic: past perfect with emphasis
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 6:47:16 AM
Thank you very much, Dragon!

I think maybe the first one "violates" the standard pattern of tenses, that may be (Think ) the reason why it grates on a native's ear... Just a non-native's guess.

But #2 (and #3) do work, it's great to know. Thanks a lot!
Topic: ... behind saying it
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 5:00:57 AM
I wonder whether it means: You've got to put a bit more effort to support what you are saying with action.

But this is only my guess, I have not seen the show, and I am not a native speaker. So like yourself I'm looking forward to see what natives say. Angel
Topic: past perfect with emphasis
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 3:55:14 AM
Hello, dear English speakers!

I've made up the dialogue below. I wonder whether the underlined part of it works:

A: When I met with X in London last year we discussed his book "YYY". He had just written it and seemed quite interested to discuss it.

B: This can't be, he had not written it yet by the time you went to London.

A (version 1): What are you talking about? I tell you, he did have written it by then.
A (version 2): What are you talking about? I tell you, he did have it written by then.

Do version1 and version2, or any one of them, work? d'oh!

Thank you very much!
Topic: Do you like to follow English grammar rules?
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 6:57:31 AM
TheParser wrote:

b. I personally wish that we could still use "his" as the gender-neutral pronoun ("Everyone should bring HIS book tomorrow"). I am very sad that it is no longer socially acceptable (except in personal correspondence). We are now forced to say "Everyone should bring THEIR book tomorrow."

I wonder whether combined with lgbt+ requirements this renders:
At the end of the ceremony the groom kisses their bride and takes them on a honeymoon.

I was advised on another forum that this whole thing is politically motivated, so it may turn out to be short-lived after all.
Topic: Don't draw outside.
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 6:52:11 AM
This turns out to be a difficult question, after all d'oh!
Thanks for the question.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.