User Name: Kirill Vorobyov
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 288
[0.03% of all post / 0.61 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Kinda, gotta, gunna, and all the elisions that appear in written English(Showing accent in writing)
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:09:33 AM
A cooperator wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I was told that "gotta", "gonna/gunna", "dunno", "hafta", and all the elisions that appear in written English, don't represent "bad" English. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong, or incorrect, or substandard about these contracted forms.

In my humble non-native's opinion, the validity of your statement highly depends on the register and the circumstances. Certainly these contractions ARE bad English and ARE wrong if used, for example, in a formal letter to the Secretary General of the United Nations.

There are rules that people must learn and follow where appropriate. Then of course there's spoken language that in an intimate circle can deviate from those rules for the sake of simplicity and brevity, as long as other people understand what you mean to say.
Topic: Robert Mueller files first set of charges
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 7:48:51 AM
Andrew Schultz wrote:
This is just the first few pieces of the puzzle. I'll give our, umm, skeptical posters the benefit of the doubt and explain that this isn't how grand jury indictments work in the USA. Often, there are smaller charges at first, indicating that the prosecutors know what's up and are giving people time to flip. Giving away too much would be like yelling "I HAVE FOUR OF A KIND!" at the poker table. Robert Mueller isn't one to brag. He's a smart man.

Okay, the poker face is there, the deuce is on the table, may we see at last what his hand is.

Andrew Schultz wrote:

And as for Ukrainian interests? Those were about bringing Viktor Yanukovich to power and keeping him. Yanukovich, the crooked pro-Russia former president. So all this is already known, and in fact, it doesn't seem to help any claims Russia is simon-pure.

Unfortunately Yanukovich is as pro-Russia as Artur Mas and Putchdimon are pro-Spain. Slow cowardly desintegrators.
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 7:41:57 AM
almo 1 wrote:

Is it such a big deal?

What a relief Japan stays streight. Dancing
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 7:33:33 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:

Last night the UKs Defense Minister resigned in a scandal were he has been accused of inappropriately touching a journalists knee.

Journalists keep the whole British Defense Ministry on the hook... Well, not as scary as if it were the United States, but feels rather uncomfortable anyway.
Topic: When did Venusian become an acceptable synonym for Venerian?
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 6:59:31 AM
And what is the Genetive for curriculum vitae in plural?

These ... (CVs') layout would have to be modified in line with the model.

d'oh!
Topic: And me in me prime!
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 6:49:12 AM
Thank you very much, Thar!
Topic: And me in me prime!
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 5:29:56 AM
Hello!

This is from "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell:

“And who is it takes your eye?”

“Miss Ellen Robillard,” said Gerald, trying to speak casually,
(...).

“And you old enough to be her father!”

And me in me prime!” cried Gerald stung.

I don't understand the underlined part. Could you, please, explain.
Thank you!
Topic: Donald J. tRump: Murderer
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 5:46:02 AM
Micky Mouse
Topic: hair trigger of temper
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 5:38:01 AM
Thank you, Thar!
Topic: acquire a good head for whisky
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:40:58 AM
Wow, thanks! I know what you mean.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.