User Name: yummyspringroll
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 51
[0.01% of all post / 0.09 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: People now, they hit the pitch we throw.
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:01:57 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
I think it is an analogy that refers to the (mostly) American sport of baseball, a pitch is the ball that the pitcher on the mound in the middle throws.

He can choose to throw a variety of types of ball a slow one, a fast one etc. the opposition players with a bat must adjust their swing to compensate.

The people will change their mindset to match whatever the insurance companies try to do.

Thank you, Sarrriesfan ~~

By the way, I like your unwitty signature :D

-__-
Topic: People now, they hit the pitch we throw.
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:01:04 AM
Has anyone watched the new documentary "Escape Fire - The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare"?

Quote:
People now, they hit the pitch we throw. If we change the pitch, they'll hit that one, too.

This line comes out around min. 53 when the film is talking about how a large amount of money is involved as big corporations govern the healthcare system, how the insurance industry try to form a public mindset to its advantage, and how there's a huge gap between the healthcare system we have now and the one we could have.

What does the line means?

-__-
Topic: have, have been, or present tense?
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 5:42:03 AM
I just realized something ugly about myself and I kinda felt bad but I wasn't sure if I will ever be able to change or want to change at all. I'd say"

a. "I've been putting on shows my whole life."
b. "I've put on shows my whole life."
c. "I put on shows my whole life."
d. "I keep putting on shows my whole life."

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

which is correct and why?

thank you~

-__-
Topic: to vs for
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 7:53:50 PM
When to use to and when to use for? Or are they just interchangeable?

Example:
1. For/To me, this is the best comment so far.
2. You are the only one for/to me.
3. She is like an angel for/to me.
4. For/To me, their performance was a complete trash.

-__-
Topic: speak vs talk
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:59:54 AM
Which is more correct:
1) How dare you speak to me like that!?
2) How dare you talk to me like that!?

thank you

-__-
Topic: but for
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 8:20:49 PM
This is a comment on the recap of an episode in a k-drama series. Faith is the title of the show. http://www.dramabeans.com/2012/10/faith-episode-19/

Quote:
It’s no secret I pretty much hated last week’s episodes (so much the boring), but today’s episode really picked things up. There are a ton of development on all fronts, and the story finally picks up the plodding pace and makes it feel like stuff’s happening again. Hurrah for movement and speed that surpasses snails playing chess!

Who else would’ve loved to see Faith just put our two lovers on the run the whole way through? They could joke, bicker, tease, and flirt all the live long day, and let the king hold up the politics front back in the palace. Ah, but for the what-ifs…

What does "Ah, but for the what-ifs…" means?

thank you

-__-
Topic: predict one's act in a negative manner
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:59:46 PM
Is there a word for predicting one's act/situation in a negative manner or having unreasonable suspicion towards someone? Like out of jealousy or prejudice.
Like,
"I bet she must be <some negative thing>" or
"He must think that <some negative thing>" or
"If that happened he would <some negative thing> for sure." or
"As things stand now, he's gonna <some negative thing>. There's no way he won't"
etc.

Is there a verb for that?
And is there a word for someone who always do that? Judgmental? Or simply jealous?

thank you

-__-
Topic: did or had done
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:19:04 AM
whoaaa,,
this has become really long,,
thank you EVERYONE for your answers~~ Pray it's gonna take some time for me to read all this and finally get it (hopefully) Anxious

-__-
Topic: put a stop to
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:15:07 AM
instead of Let's put an end to this, is it okay to say Let's put a stop to this?

Which is more common?
Which sounds more natural?
Are there other similar expressions? Similar one that's more stronger, more imperative, with more sense of urgency,,,?

thank you~♥

-__-
Topic: decided it is/was the truth
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:54:41 AM
I did my research and decided it is/was the truth.

a) If I was talking about a proven/established fact (like 1+1=2 or the sun shines everyday or some complex, advanced physical theory that will remain valid forever) should I use is or was?

b) If I was talking about any other thing (like gossip, alleged extramarital affair, mandela effect, some debatable issue, etc.) should I use is or was?

She did her research and decided it is/was the truth.

a) If this is a sentence in a fiction with a third person point of view and the character was talking about a proven/established fact even in the real world (like the examples above), should I use is or was?

b) If this is a sentence in a fiction with a third person point of view and the character was talking about any other thing in the fictional world, I should use was, correct?

Thank You~

-__-

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.