Statistics
Number of Posts: 18
[0.00% of all post / 0.10 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: trickling stop
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:44:35 AM
thar

OOoooh,,, okaaay. I get the picture now. Hahahaaa. Thank you, thar

I get screeching stop; I can easily imagine it's something stopping with a screeching sound. But I didn't get trickling stop because the definition of trickle in this site is basically small flow,, I couldn't imagine something stopping but also still flowing,,, d'oh! I thought maybe trickling stop is like intermittent stop so in a way it's a flow of many stops,,, hahaa,, Anxious

So in short, when an action/movement/occurrence comes to a trickling stop, it means the action/movement/occurrence drops in intensity/speed until it finally stops altogether. Correct?

-__-
Topic: trickling stop
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 8:06:36 PM
I came across this phrase a few times, usually in the form of "....came to a trickling stop..."

What does it mean? What kind of stop is a trickling stop? How does a trickling stop stops (how does it work)?
Could anyone elaborate, please?

-__-
Topic: my sentences I made , correct or wrong? thank you.
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:49:41 PM
Today I want to try adding some content. A few friends suggested that I record an interpretation of the course without Chinese. I decided to do it right now. I hope you'll like it.

I'm no native or an expert in English, though. I might be wrong myself.

-__-
Topic: as if you are/were .... ?
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 3:25:01 AM
I've heard that type 2 conditional is also used to express hypothetical / unlikely situations. So when I say "If I were smart enough I would be doing another job" that means I am not smart and I am doing a job that I don't like.
So if I met someone and talked about my current job in a way that suggests that my job was really awesome and I loved it, and then secretly scoffed at myself, I would mumble to myself
"As if my job is cool" or "As if my job was cool" ?

Answers would be much appreciated~!

(or Answers will be much appreciated?)

-__-
Topic: she let me ate/eat ??
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 9:28:04 PM
a. She let me eat/ate her dinner.
b. The girl let him walk/walked out the door.
c. She let him do/did that to her.
d. The princess let the knight help/helped her.
e. I was watching when he let the girl fall/fell down the cliff.
f. The man lay unmoving, but I knew he was still breathing when I let the monster finish/finished him off.
g. He looked away as he let me inspect/inspected his wound.

I was going to write "She let me eat her dinner." but then I hesitated and googled, and my search for "she let me ate" returned many instances of the exact same form. Now I hesitate even more. So which is correct?
A let B V1 or A let B V2 ?

-__-
Topic: someone who sets up a couple
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:25:17 PM
wow, thanks everyone! Pray

-__-
Topic: someone who sets up a couple
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:13:00 PM
The one who introduce someone to another, hoping that they would end up dating. (Not that it's their job, it's more like a close friend who's asked to introduce another friend to another friend)
What is they called? Middle man? Cupid? Matchmaker?

-__-
Topic: Font change?
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:16:46 PM
ppppfffftt~

Ahahahaaa,,, XD

-__-
Topic: Font change?
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:47:28 AM
Is it just me or the font in the dictionary has changed???
I don't know what the font name was but when I looked up words this morning the font was still sans serif, and when I checked just now it's already changed into serif, like the font that appear as we type a post in this forum (which changes into sans serif once the post is submitted, or seen in the preview).
Is it just me?

update: apparently it was just me. It's back to normal now, hahaa. Maybe it was my slow internet connection or something.

-__-
Topic: How come & How could
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 11:22:35 PM
Quote:
The short answer is yes, they both mean the same thing. "How come" is more often heard in the Southern part of the US, I believe, though it has spread far across the country now. It appears to be a shortened form of "How (did it) come (to be that...)", or "How (did it) come (about that...)". As such, it is very informal speech, and not really correct usage. "How could" would be the proper wording to use.

Examples:
How come you didn't call me when you said you would?
How could you not have called me when you said you would?

How come you spent so much money over the holidays?
How could you have spent so much money over the holidays?

How come I can't think of more examples?
How could I not think of more examples?

wow~ thanks, FounDit

-__-

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.