Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 189
[0.02% of all post / 0.23 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Frell ( slang words)
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:17:32 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Smeg is a diffcult one it's a shortened form of another word that's often regarded as taboo.

Good grief, it's a medical term! I guess some people never grow up. All together now, "Penis, vagina, testicles, ovaries, uterus, prostate, smegma, semen." Now we're going to keep reciting those words until no one in the class giggles.

(Really, it's not difficult because many minced oaths are variations on taboo words.)
Topic: 'past' Vs. 'passed'
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:37:47 PM
A cooperator wrote:
I passed by a man his father had stood up.

Just to make things more complicated, that sentence does make sense (although it's a bit vague without a noun to connect "his" to), it just doesn't mean what you're trying to express. "Stood up" means "failed to meet", so the sentence reads "I passed by a man his [John's?] father failed to meet." It sounds odd by itself; perhaps in some context it might make sense.
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:22:34 PM
It's been written that nearly all obscenities (as distinct from plain insults) refer to religion, sex, or scatology. Minced oaths follow the same lines, so we have gosh, darn, drat, dang, gee, jeez, jeepers, heck, holy cow, and jeeminy Christmas; frick, phooey, feck, jerk, and mother love a duck; shoot, pooh and baloney.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Red Dwarf's "smeg".

I'm sure we could come up with a lot more.
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 5:48:45 PM
RuthP wrote:
At any rate, SciFi was not "real" science fiction.

What irritated some people was the slanginess of the description. It was a take-off on the term "hi-fi" (for "high fidelity), which by the late 1960s sounded somewhat out of date. The joke ran that "sci-fi" should be pronounced "skiffy", to rhyme with "Skippy", a brand of American peanut butter, because it "sticks to the roof of your brain" (peanut butter is known for its quality of sticking to the roof of your mouth - that's why people give it to their dogs to control barking).

Topic: pls help on gondola lyrics
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 9:22:16 PM
Romany wrote:
Due to my peregrinations,

Oh, you poor wandering one!
Topic: millionaire
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 6:49:52 PM
Consider, too, that property comes with property tax. Where I live, the annual taxes on a million dollar property would be $21,520! That's over $4000 more than the yearly gross income of a minimum wage worker. The term I would use would be "land poor".
Topic: pls.help on this sentence
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:01:29 PM
M2: There's other ways of keeping an asset in play, aren't there?

M2's grammar is awful. He should have said "There're", or, better yet, avoided the contraction altogether and said "There are". I guess verb-noun agreement isn't something they teach in spy school.
Topic: singer, singing (pronunciation)
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:39:00 AM
BobShilling wrote:
Eoin Riedy wrote:
I can say fin-ger and I can say sin-ger.

No. It's /fɪŋ-gə(r/) and /sɪŋ-ə(r)/. You cannot split one sound, /ŋ/, into two parts.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I see.
We are hitting the difficulty of describing sounds in written words.
We probably don't really disagree.
Quote:
Not in standard BrE - check a few dictionaries. All three words have a medial /ŋ/.
Oh, you mean "In the English which very few English people speak but dictionaries say is 'normal English'."

Haha!

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It would be great to set up 'sound images' in this forum, to make it simpler for us to record what we really mean (even after a lot of discussion, describing "how I say the word" in words and IPA symbols isn't very satisfying).

Absolutely. Then I could let Bob hear how it is not "simply impossible" to pronouce finger as fin + ger. Consider someone saying, "I broke my 1957 Chevy's tail fin. Grrr." It doesn't use the word "finger", but it's not impossible to pronouce n + g as two separate sounds.

I pity the poor student trying to understand the differences between finger, singer, and hinger. They should all rhyme, shouldn't they?
Topic: singer, singing (pronunciation)
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:03:29 AM
BobShilling wrote:
In writing, one may split syllables in a word such as finger as fin-ger. We simply cannot do this in pronunciation.

Well, of course you can. I can say fin-ger and I can say sin-ger. I probably wouldn't unless I were a telephone operator, announcer, or talking to someone with a hearing loss. "No, Emily, I said that Queen Elizabeth is sin-ging, not sin-king."
Topic: by/to/with the naked eye
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 12:06:47 PM
The second sentence would have to be reworded "Microbes are not visible to the naked eye".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.