Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 171
[0.02% of all post / 0.27 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Blast from the Past: Olly Olly Oxen Free
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:37:20 PM
Perry Cuomo? Any relation to Mario Como?

On a political note, the phrase was punned in song in reference to Oliver North by The Foremen as "Ollie, Ollie Out Scott Free".
Topic: loud and loudly
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 9:49:08 AM
towan52 wrote:
It is my sincere belief that, about halfway across the Atlantic Ocean, the crew of the Mayflower jettisoned most adverbs into the sea. On the eastern side of the midpoint, they sank slowly. To to west, however, they sank slow.

It happened before that on the Susan Constant, Discovery, and Godspeed.
Topic: Lion Pride vs Buffalo - Who Will Win?
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:13:19 PM
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
Topic: Donald Trump's shots
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:53:00 PM
thar wrote:
Nothing to do with guns - it is a common slang phrase

Its origins do have to do with guns.

World Wide Words: Big Shot
Topic: I ma call a few friends
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:47:07 PM
I keep repeating "I ma call a few friends" and I can't decide if I'm hearing "I'm a-call a few friends" or "I mi' call a few friends" (I might call a few friends). "I'm a-call a few friends" almost sounds like Italian dialect. "He is going to call a few friends" could come out "he go' call a few friends."
Topic: The go-ahead or a go-ahead
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:49:27 PM
sureshot wrote:
Jigneshbharati wrote:
I am confused about the use of definite article before the noun-go-ahead. The online dictionaries clearly uses "the" before the noun-go-ahead in all the example sentences.
My made-up sentence:
Did you get the go-ahead for something?
Did you get a go-ahead for something?
How do we know if a given noun is uncount or count?

The noun "go-ahead" means "give or be given permission to start doing something". Both the speaker and listener know what "go-ahead" is being talked about. It is identifiable. So, it is natural to use "the" before "go-ahead".

Except "give or be given" is a verb form. "The go ahead" is a phrase meaning "permission to do something". "Go-ahead" can mean, among other things, "a sign, signal, or authority to proceed". We would say "a sign" or "a signal".

"Is that something you can do on your own, or do you have to wait for a go-ahead?"
Topic: Life may be a vale of tears, all right, but there are some folks who enjoy weeping.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:51:07 AM
KSPavan wrote:
Quotation of the Day

Life may be a vale of tears, all right, but there are some folks who enjoy weeping.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

"When the reviews are bad I tell my staff that they can join me as I cry all the way to the bank."
- Liberace

Maria Theresa is said to have cried every time Austria took a part of Poland, causing Frederick of Prussia to remark cynically, "She wept, but she took nonetheless."
Topic: when elephants roost in trees
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:15:07 AM
A slightly cruder one:

When angels fly out of my arse.
Topic: usage of attenuate
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:04:54 AM
robjen wrote:
(ex) A lack of regular exercise and well-balanced diet can attentuate your immune system.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I looked through the thesaurus, and the words I would commonly use for 'immune system' would be:
Weaken, impair,
depress. (This one sounds (to me) a little more technical - something a doctor or immunologist might say.)

Another term I frequently hear in that context is "compromise".
Topic: Prison rape slang
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:03:51 PM
Possibly related to the concept of awareness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

First I'm going to sexually assault you rectally with my penis (to make your anus "aware" of its potential and my control) and then achieve orgasm by masturbating.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.