The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: lazarius
About
User Name: lazarius
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation:
Interests:
Gender: Male
Home Page http://bersao.livejournal.com
Statistics
Joined: Saturday, August 27, 2016
Last Visit: Monday, December 9, 2019 2:34:31 PM
Number of Posts: 566
[0.06% of all post / 0.47 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Spelling-bee.com
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 1:11:29 PM
Alibeartoes wrote:
spelling bee.com

This game is played using the keyboard.



-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: befriend
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:31:01 PM


Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: on outlawing innocent words
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:07:16 AM
BobShilling wrote:
Do people not have the right to have a say on the word used to speak of them?

I do not think all of them consider it offensive. And if today most do it's because they have learned it from new dictionaries. Most certainly it started with a few hysteric half-taughts and instead of curbing the disease you let it spread. They must have confounded this beautiful, precise word with another one which indeed is derogatory and is not mentioned in my favorite dictionary:



By the way I've been told the word niggard is in jeopardy nowadays. What will you say when in a couple of years from today you will learn that it is considered offensive (only) when applied to African-British? :)

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: on outlawing innocent words
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 5:35:01 AM
BobShilling wrote:
Perhaps that feeling was not present in the USA then, or perhaps the compilers of your favourite dictionary hadn't spotted it yet.

The compilers of another good dictionary (British) did not see it in 2014:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/gypsy

Quote:
n (sometimes not capital) , pl -sies
1. (Peoples)
a. a member of a people scattered throughout Europe and North America, who maintain a nomadic way of life in industrialized societies. They migrated from NW India from about the 9th century onwards
b. (as modifier): a Gypsy fortune-teller.
2. (Languages) the language of the Gypsies; Romany
3. a person who looks or behaves like a Gypsy
[C16: from Egyptian, since they were thought to have come originally from Egypt]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014


BobShilling wrote:
had the opportunity to remove a cause of offence. Don't you see that as a good thing?

No. Because I do not consider it a cause for offence and because the word African-American jumps out of the page and scares me in the 60s context.

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: on outlawing innocent words
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:03:40 AM
BobShilling wrote:
lazarius wrote:
If you keep outlawing innocent words at this rate it will soon be impossible to converse in English.

We don't outlaw innocent words. We merely show our strong disapproval of words that offensively label people whom users of such words believe to be 'different' in some way, almost always a negative way.

Here's what my favorite 1984 dictionary has:



This is not a lapse because offensiveness is mentioned in this entry:



Two months ago I read Airport, by Arthur Hailey. This is what he writes in the Foreword:

Quote:
One final thing. Two important story characters — Lieutenant Ned Ordway, the airport’s police chief, and Perry Yount, an air traffic supervisor — were each referred to in the 1968 edition as a “negro.” At that time the description was normal, acceptable and inoffensive and, with millions of book copies in forty languages, I have not received a single complaint. However, I concede that more recently the label “negro” has become offensive, and therefore is not repeated in this new edition. Instead I have used “African American,” a phrase seeming, to enjoy wide favor.

It would have been better if he had died earlier. :(

-





Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: befriend
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:03:15 AM
BobShilling wrote:
lazarius wrote:
I have never called into question the modern 'incorrect' usage. Neither have I questioned your education or thar's or Drag0nspeaker's or,

Note the S-V inversion required after a negative construction.

Thank you!

BobShilling wrote:
definition of gypsy

If you keep outlawing innocent words at this rate it will soon be impossible to converse in English.

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: befriend
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 8:42:57 AM
BobShilling wrote:
An irrefragable point if one is of the clerisy. We of the ruck, οἱ πολλοί, the plebs, 99% of native speakers, will probably continue with our 'incorrect' usage.

In Russian this is called thimble-rigging. I have never called into question the modern 'incorrect' usage. Neither I questioned your education or thar's or Drag0nspeaker's or, Heaven forbid, the Gypsy's.

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: befriend
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 6:10:53 AM
BobShilling wrote:
use of 'friend' and the associated 'befriend'

These two words in his use are scarcely associated just because Christ doesn't do whatever they command Him. He befriends them in His undertaking for them, in living and dying for them and, lastly, in judging them.

BobShilling wrote:
in 1725

I guess you would prefer a 2025 text as an example of the original meaning if you were able to find one. :)

BobShilling wrote:
how the general public used them then

This gentleman is remembered today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Boston

When I talk about correct usage I mean the way the word is used by the clerisy and do not care about the ruck.

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: befriend
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 3:02:10 AM
thar wrote:
You only befriend somebody once. After that you are a friend.

In the good old days it was possible to befriend somebody twice:

https://books.google.com/books?id=4AhOAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA246&dq=befriended+befriends+%22will+befriend%22



-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
Topic: lawsy me
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 2:05:49 AM
Thank you, Drag0nspeaker!

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.