The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: olddogg eleventy2
About
User Name: olddogg eleventy2
Forum Rank: Member
Interests: languages, music, arts, history and stuff like that there.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 52
[0.01% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Joseph Warren (1741)
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:52:13 AM
this is one of the reasons i love the free dictionary by farlex, i had never heard of dr. warren. he was not even brought up in school when i was a kid. after reading this article i got a chill (really). he is one of the bravest men i have ever heard of. the word hero is used a lot these days, but i dare say this man is still a true hero in my book. bless his memory!
Topic: Mel Blanc (1908)
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:28:17 AM
one of my favorite people. a wonderful talent that brought a lot of laughter and joy to the world. a sense of humor even in death. god bless him.
Topic: political agenda
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:04:34 PM
my opinion is that news broadcasting is over. press releases are done. abc, cbs, nbc, upi, api, npr ....whoever...it's all propaganda. it's all one sided opinions of what's going on. walter cronkite, edward r, murrow, huntley & brinkley.....those days are gone. it's about who shouts the loudest. listen to any of these morning "news shows" they contstantly talk over each other. they interrupt their interviewee, lose the train of thought of most of the story.it is what is now called "INFOTAINMENT". 20 people died today but they looked great doing it......thats whats on.
Topic: keep (one's) slate clean
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:51:51 AM
funny, i always took it to mean to keep yourself available if needed. how naive am i. an old dog too!...lol
Topic: Toshogu Haru-No-Taisai
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:57:13 AM
now that would be something to see. i would enjoy seeing the samuri and their display with bow and arrow.
Topic: Salvador Dalí (1904)
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:35:00 AM
what a strange man. surreal indeed.
Topic: John Wilkes Booth (1838)
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:26:28 AM
this is just a skimming history of JWB. for an enjoyable and informative read on this subject , i recommend the book, "My Thoughts Be Bloody" by Nora Titone. surprising info. that gives rise to other reasons mr. booth acted as he did. he wasn't really the great actor that his brother Edwin was considered. in fact, according to Titone, he was held to be a second and even third rate actor. it's a very well researched book and enlightening in many areas. it's forwarded by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a well respected author and historian.
Topic: in one blow
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:10:29 AM
i always heard growing up "one fell swoop."
Topic: The American Civil War Ends at Appomattox Court House (1865)
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 10:08:42 AM
for some reason my life has been greatly affected by the american civil war. when i was a child i took great interest in it. most of my historical reading is about or related to the civil war. i have found that i did have relatives on both sides. one was with the cavalry in grants army of the west from kentucky....two others with lees army under beull... and were at gettysburg.... i read some of these stories about the actions of some of these men, both good and bad, and i some time well-up and get a little blubbery.....i have know clue why i feel so drawn to this event in history. i'm a veteren myself, vietnam, but i still look at the american civil war for some reason.....weird!
Topic: In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is...
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 6:34:45 PM
when capitalism is allowed to go unregulated...it throws a big wrench into the machinery of democracy....being an american, my experience with our system is primarily well meaning but very easily corrupted by corporate money, agendas, and life philosophy...... which is only concerned with its perpetuity and of course profit. the images that most democratic societies want to portray is that of equality, harmony and a fair share in its blessings. and i believe that for the most part that is attainable. but i fear it may come to an end, and possibly an abrupt one. the events that are occurring in the world today are a direct political thrust of a global corporate agenda. to keep costs down and have an available cheap workforce make it harder and more expensive to obtain an education. and to keep evey one on edge make sure there is media sensation of some kind to keep people from focusing on real issues.....there are other things that i see...and i'm sure others see it also...if real everday people from every where could some how get together that would be wonderful.......it just makes me shake my head when i talk to some people and they know more about the kardashians than they do about their own futures.......to steal a line from the unfortunate choice of a president, trump......sad, so sad

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.