The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: olddogg eleventy2
About
User Name: olddogg eleventy2
Forum Rank: Member
Interests: languages, music, arts, history and stuff like that there.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 45
[0.01% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: in one blow
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:10:29 AM
i always heard growing up "one fell swoop."
Topic: The American Civil War Ends at Appomattox Court House (1865)
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 10:08:42 AM
for some reason my life has been greatly affected by the american civil war. when i was a child i took great interest in it. most of my historical reading is about or related to the civil war. i have found that i did have relatives on both sides. one was with the cavalry in grants army of the west from kentucky....two others with lees army under beull... and were at gettysburg.... i read some of these stories about the actions of some of these men, both good and bad, and i some time well-up and get a little blubbery.....i have know clue why i feel so drawn to this event in history. i'm a veteren myself, vietnam, but i still look at the american civil war for some reason.....weird!
Topic: In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is...
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 6:34:45 PM
when capitalism is allowed to go unregulated...it throws a big wrench into the machinery of democracy....being an american, my experience with our system is primarily well meaning but very easily corrupted by corporate money, agendas, and life philosophy...... which is only concerned with its perpetuity and of course profit. the images that most democratic societies want to portray is that of equality, harmony and a fair share in its blessings. and i believe that for the most part that is attainable. but i fear it may come to an end, and possibly an abrupt one. the events that are occurring in the world today are a direct political thrust of a global corporate agenda. to keep costs down and have an available cheap workforce make it harder and more expensive to obtain an education. and to keep evey one on edge make sure there is media sensation of some kind to keep people from focusing on real issues.....there are other things that i see...and i'm sure others see it also...if real everday people from every where could some how get together that would be wonderful.......it just makes me shake my head when i talk to some people and they know more about the kardashians than they do about their own futures.......to steal a line from the unfortunate choice of a president, trump......sad, so sad
Topic: First Monday Trade Days
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 5:53:08 PM
well it is in texas, they probably still have the hangings for traditions sake.....gotta suggestion for them,.. have trump for a special guest hanging...that oughta draw a good size crowd!
Topic: Eric Patrick Clapton (1945)
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:53:48 AM
one of my heroes....like fine wine...he aged...and got better.....loves his blues and some of his more popier stuff to....but he really shines playin' the blues.....happy birthday to mr. clapton.
Topic: Less direct
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:17:49 AM
you must be a riot at dinner parties...lol
Topic: Trump signs order at the EPA to dismantle environmental protections
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:14:08 AM
this....man,(and i use that term very loosely) has no soul...he is, seriously, a danger to humanity....it appears that he looks from one place to the next to see what he can do to make life miserable for the day to day "everyman" person. he really has no business being POTUS. he may very well bring this nation and perhaps the world to the brink of chaos and/or destruction. looking around for the anti-christ? you may very well be looking at him.
Topic: go to hell in a handcart
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 8:24:17 AM
i was thinking more of the handbasket as symbol of innocence and simplicity, something used say, for placing flowers while strolling through a field or, i guess, easter eggs! no matter how seemingly innocent or pure, chances are you're still bound for the bad place. also with hand cart, even the easy way can still get you to where you would rather not be. i think a lot of the old religion was pretty much the premise of damed if you do and damned if you don't. that's just my take on it.
Topic: Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:56:49 AM
one of my favorite mark twain quips, and i am para-phrasing,....when i was seventeen i thought my parents were the most stupidest people in the world, but when i turned twenty-one i was amazed at how much they had learned in four years! classic and appropriate for all the generations.
Topic: World Day for Water
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:20:19 AM
though we have had our problems with water,(i.e. flint, mi) the great state of michiigan, u.s.a. has been more than blessed. with our wonderful and beautiful great lakes. also all of the surrounding states and canada.we are also blessed with a bounty of inland lakes, rivers and streams. god truly smiled on this piece of earth.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.