Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,036
[0.24% of all post / 0.64 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Possible US Constitutional Amendment Brewing
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:36:44 AM
The fundamental essence of a corporation is that the members/owners of the corporation are protected from personal liability from acts of the corporation. If a corporation can't pay its bills its assets are sold and the corporation can then dissolve/disappear. As long as the members/owners didn't personally sign any papers then (with rare exception) they're not personally liable. The corporation thus allows the owners/members to take greater risks. That's also why its advisable for corporate officers to include their corporate status (Pres, VP, Treasurer) etc next to their signature - so it's clear they're signing on behalf of the corporation and not themselves.

But there is always a trade-off (quid pro quo). It is because corporations give their members/owners this protected status that corporations are treated differently (pay different taxes; arguably can not be involved in politics in the same way as humans). Most unions are more akin to partnerships(where the members/owners)are personally liable - except that some do incorporate and they then have to abide by the local and federal rules that other corporations do.

Topic: The Balfour Declaration (1917)
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:13:46 AM
So so much for those who state that the Holocaust was the only basis for the creation of a Jewish homeland.
Topic: He that hath a satirical vein, as he maketh others afraid of his wit, so he had need be afraid of others' memory.
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:44:31 AM
On the other hand, you might be honored for your satire as Will Farrel was last night in accepting the Kennedy Center Mark Twain prize
Topic: Laurence Stephen Lowry (1887)
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:41:58 AM
Nice pictues. Thanks thar!Applause
Topic: There are only two styles of portrait painting, the serious and the smirk.
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 7:55:59 AM
Is that then the genius of Davinci's Mona Lisa - that's she has a serious smirk?
Topic: Michael Landon (1936)
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 7:54:46 AM
Who knew Little Joe would turn out to be such an inspirational guy!
Who knew he was bar mitzvahed!
Topic: Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all.
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:14:27 AM
I love Gilbert Chesterton's writings.
Topic: Ruth Gordon (1896)
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:12:35 AM
She was such an engaging person. I remember her performances later in life. Here's the part that interests me from her bio. I did not know this.

Gordon and husband Garson Kanin collaborated on the screenplays for the Katharine Hepburn – Spencer Tracy films Adam's Rib (1949) and Pat and Mike (1952). Both films were directed by George Cukor. The onscreen relationship of Hepburn and Tracy, seen in those films, was modelled on Gordon and Kanin's own marriage. I always thought the onscreen relationship was modelled on the offscreen relationship of Hepburn and Tracy
Topic: Fanny Brice (1891)
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:02:37 AM
Not too lucky (smart) with the men!
Topic: pigeonhole
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:00:02 AM
What did pigeons ever to do to deserve this moniker?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.