User Name: Arcadia Rinses
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 'A murder-suicide' (a noun is modified by a hyphenated descriptor OR compound adjective)
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 4:49:00 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The order of nouns in compound nouns of this sort is mostly 'stylistic' (over time, "murder/suicide" was more popular than "suicide/murder", so "murder/suicide" is what most people say).

The use of a hyphen (-) or a virgule (/) is a personal choice. I have normally seen "murder/suicide", I think.

There are phrases in English which mean certain things.

It is useless and wastes your time to try to change those phrases to something different.

Saying "I can say 'murder-commit suicide' instead of 'murder-suicide'" is similar to saying "I can say 'dermur' instead of 'murder'".

1. You can't, it doesn't make sense.
2. Why would anyone want to do that?

From a strictly logical pdv, there is no such thing as suicide murder. The chronological gym is impossible.
Topic: One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything.
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:32:40 AM
I’ve never understood this quotation. Why shouldn’t we trust an open and honest woman?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.