User Name: georgew
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 25
[0.00% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Should the comma be inside or outside the close inverted commas?
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:11:38 PM
Hope123 wrote:
"In Canada the American style predominates: periods and commas go inside closing quotation marks; all other marks go inside if they belong with the quoted material, outside if they don’t."

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2guides/guides/pep/index-fra.html?lang=fra&page=punct_6_coping_quotation_marks

"The British style commonly treats periods and commas like other punctuation marks: if they’re part of what’s quoted, they go inside the closing quotation marks (remember, with British style it’s a single mark); if they’re not, they go outside. However, the British style makes an exception for any punctuation that divides a sentence of quoted speech. Such punctuation (usually a comma) always goes inside."

Yep. That's my understanding.
Topic: Is 'Youths' correctly used?
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:51:45 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, georgew.

Since 'youths' means 'young people' in American English, would it be correct to say/write "Youths' Division"?

I think it would be grammatically correct, but strange. "Youth Division" would sound much better since the Division (presumably) is for Youth as a class rather than youth as specific individuals.
Topic: Is 'Youths' correctly used?
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:10:45 PM
thar wrote:
Same problem with meaning as the last example of 'youths'.

In BE at least, that is a term for plural individuals - two youths. Not a group in general. That is 'young people'.

This may be local usage, but it sounds wrong wrt BE.

"Youths" is common in AE, meaning multiple individual young people.

But, also in AE, "this time around would be used.
Topic: Us / Our ?
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:34:44 PM
"X was suspended immediately upon us receiving this information."

This is from a British news source today. Shouldn't it be "our?"
Topic: You can do an elastic that has buttons.
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:30:44 PM
bihunsedap wrote:

The school uniform pants are a little loose.

I suggested to the teacher.

"You can do an elastic that has buttons."

"You can do an elastic with buttons." (as image above)

Do they sound natural?

Yes, they sound natural. That's an example of extremely casual use of the word "do" nowadays.
Topic: Using 'Between/Amid' As 'While'
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:10:02 PM
Tella wrote:
I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to use 'between/amid' as particles of simultaneity, as follows:

1. "The medicine is in the cupboard." said mother (from) between her coughing.
2. "The medicine is in the cupboard." said mother amid her coughings/coughs.

Note: I am not fumbling for ways to say "while" as I have plenty enough. All I want to know is whether the above forms are possible. Thanks :D

"Between" and "amid" may be used to describe a temporal or physical place relative to discrete, not continuous/ongoing, events. Therefore, "coughs" works better than "coughing."
Topic: because she was really a schoolteacher
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:19:26 PM
thar wrote:
No, but why was she not climbing over the fence (an unladylike thing to do).

There is a context here we don't have, so we really can't help.

It will be in wheat is happening in the story, and the motivations of the characters.
It is bigger than that single action.

A 'schoolteacher' obeys the rules of society and acts with decorum, if that helps.

Well, it helps the schoolteacher. That's for sure.Whistle
Topic: 'A murder-suicide' (a noun is modified by a hyphenated descriptor OR compound adjective)
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:10:44 PM
A cooperator wrote:

However, if I am going to compose my own sentence, I really will be faced with an issue ordering the words. To translate into my own Arabic language, words in English are translated from the right side(from the end) to the left side(beginning). Each thing written in English is translated into Arabic invertedly. I hope you have got me.

No, you should NOT be faced with any issue of ordering those words. The only valid order that is used is "murder-suicide". Prove it to yourself by Googling.

You must learn English by learning the meanings of words and phrases. Don't try to create your own rules.

Each thing written in English is translated into Arabic invertedly. No. English is written according to English grammar and usage, and without using any other language as an aid.
Topic: The family gaming team
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:22:12 PM
Joe Kim wrote:
Thank you.

Actually, I am not so much into finding what is making sense.

My question is more about where to put gerund and how does it change its meaning.

If someone can understand my meaning and the meaning of a all these posts, then can you make a conclusion on this?

So you want someone to understand the meaning of something that might not make sense?

That's a tall order Joe, even for native speakers. Whistle
Topic: Is the comma after 'man' needed and why?
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 1:04:54 PM
It's not needed(,) IMHO.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.