Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 46
[0.01% of all post / 0.09 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ...since a child...
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:08:02 AM
Better: "since childhood" (and delete "always").
Topic: Is it wrong to say "am done or finished something" and "am done marking..."?
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:59:06 AM
"Done" is more colloquial, but it's definitely used in AE. However, you need to add "with" before the noun in 1b and 2b: "I'm finished with..." and "I'm done with..."
Topic: Shouldn't the verb be 'won' instead?
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:24:10 AM
Yes, I think "won" would be fine. But there are many more problems here:

"Chiak (Hokkien for “eat”) [you need a comma here] a local movie with a budget [of] less than $2,000, won the GV25 Film Shorts competition. Golden Village, host of the film competition [you need a comma here] funded this film, according to Joshuah Lim, leader of the three-person team. Each team member and cast [member] was given less than $200. [Or to avoid repetition of "member": each member of the team and the cast...]

"The 8-minute touching [odd syntax; "touching 8-minute" would be more natural] film had won the GV25 Film Shorts competition on Monday (30 October) evening, receiving a cash prize of S [delete the S] $3,000. Determined to win, the film director Joshuah Lim’s [no 's here] overcame the odds of his battle with leukaemia since August 2016. [of the leukemia he had battled since August 2016.]"

Topic: Should 'have' been used instead?
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:16:35 AM
Yes, "have." The subject is "others," so you need a plural verb.
Topic: Eugene Ng Ming Teck, a Ministry of Education teacher,...
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:13:48 AM
Yes, it would be better. The comma pair functions much like parentheses; the sentence should still make sense without the phrase enclosed by commas (or parens). Here it would make sense, but you'd be missing the crucial information (his name).
Topic: Is it OK to repeat 'Joshuah'?
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:06:26 AM
The repetition isn't wrong, but it's awkward and should be avoided. E.g.,

"Joshuah reported that from August to December of last year, he underwent..."

As for errors:

"underwent" is better than "went through," though the latter is not wrong.
"in hospital" is probably BE; AE is "at the hospital."

Missing articles in the rest, at least in AE:
[cancer treatment at hospital] > at the hospital
including bone marrow transplant I’ve gone through > including the bone marrow transplant I had
At earlier stage > At an earier stage, in the early stages.

Also, "due to," strictly speaking, should modify a noun:
I was very weak due to chemotherapy > I suffered weakness due to chemotherapy, Or: Chemotherapy made me very weak; I was very weak after/following/because of chemotherapy.
Topic: You must be logged in to do that/must log in to do that[a passive/active form]
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 2:03:30 AM
"Login" is correct for the noun (username); "log in" for the verb. Similarly "setup" (noun), "set up" (verb); "slowdown" (noun), "slow down" (verb); "buyout" (noun), "buy out" (verb), etc.
Topic: What song will you dance?
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:40:36 AM
You dance to a song: "What song will you dance to?" "To which song will you dance?"
In written English, you would avoid ending a sentence with a preposition (as in the first example), but in spoken English, it's done all the time.

Here's a song from the '60s that you can dance to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2PNlhvy8E
Topic: Should it be "forgot to bring her matrication card"?
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 4:42:12 AM
No need for "to bring"; "forgot" alone is correct. But I assume you mean "matriculation," not "matrication." I think this would be called a "student ID card" in the US.
Topic: The way it is
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 11:40:47 PM
Yes, you can say something like this, but it's more idiomatic to use the plural: to go on with things the way they are (or as they are now).

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.