Statistics
Number of Posts: 78
[0.01% of all post / 0.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Piadas
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:11:18 PM
Gostei! Sobre tudo das piadas da empregada e do sem-abrigo. Applause
Obrigada (desde Califórnia)!

My replies to grammar questions are based on American English (AE), of which I'm a native speaker.
Topic: One doubt
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:50:06 PM
Carrying.

My replies to grammar questions are based on American English (AE), of which I'm a native speaker.
Topic: Unofficial survey on varieties of English in TFD forums
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:29:50 PM
Romany wrote:
The reason I specifically ask which English a student is studying is because, as an examiner, I've seen tearful students failing - when their spoken English is really good - because they used the wrong kind of syntax, grammar or vocabulary for the exam.

Already "English" exams are divided between AE and BE. As Xap explained, except for TOEFL, the majority of International English exams use BE. THATs the reason we so often ask - a person's whole future can go down the tubes because they used BE in an AE exam, or vice versa!

Romany (and Xap), thank you for clarifying about the exams; that would explain some of the mind-numbing questions I’ve seen here! Other language forums in which I occasionally participate are geared more to language lovers and the linguistically curious than to test takers, and respondents aren’t considered “teachers.” I have a feeling I should probably stick to those forums, but if I don’t, you’ll find me here as Nebra.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:26:36 PM
thar wrote:
I am not here as a professional teacher on call for learners. I know your post isn't about that, so I'm not criticising it, just making a natural progression. But who I am is my business. If I were being paid to be a professional teacher giving answers to learners on a site, they would have the right to know what English I speak. As it is - I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day, posters on a free forum have to take pot luck with the responses they get.

Thar, I feel much as you do but began to wonder what the expectations were. Personally, though I’m an editor and translator, I answer questions solely in my capacity as a procrastinator... because I always have this page open while working : )

Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:24:04 PM
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
You can not demand this from those who ask questions - they come and go. But I expect the relevant information in the profile of those regulars who reply. Yes I've noticed your signature but I would prefer to see San Francisco in your profile.

I hope no one felt I was “demanding” anything. In my short time here I’ve seen questions from a regular group of people, with whom others seem to be acquainted. Since I’m not, I have to wonder whether the answers I give are the ones they need; that’s all. And I agree with thar that the usefulness of one’s current location is limited and potentially misleading. I think my new signature is more to the point (thanks again to Sarriesfan for the inspiration!).

There are AE learners’ dictionaries too, such as http://learnersdictionary.com from Merriam-Webster. I especially like Collins because it is gives three sets of definitions in succession—learners, BE, and AE—followed by example sentences.

The only ESL tests that are considered internationally are Cambridge tests and IELTS. TOEFL is strictly American.

Thanks, that’s good to know.

rroselavy wrote:
--In the US, in my experience at least, the variety of a foreign language taught in schools tends to be the one with the greatest number of speakers.

This is a flawed approach if applied to English. I love Canadian - just about 30 million speakers. And I already stated my opinion in this thread:
https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst161633_-Which-variety-of-English-should-I-learn--.aspx

That’s an interesting thread, though I agree with many of the respondents that no one variety is “superior” to another. As for Canadian, I’m impressed that you can tell the difference from AE; most of us can’t. For me the one giveaway is the pronunciation of “about"!

Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:13:50 PM
almo 1, I’m glad you shared the story of the Nebra disk (BE: disc!). The image you posted is at about 70% of the actual size. (I prefer it rotated 90 degrees clockwise, to suggest a winky face ; )) And thanks also for the BE/AE links.

To everyone else, thank you for participating in my “survey.” It’s been helpful to me, and perhaps it may be to others as well. Below I'll give a few replies.

Topic: Santa Claus
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:40:47 PM
I'm late to the party (bah humbug!), but I clicked on this topic because I read a fun ethnographic story in the NY Times (accompanied by a video), "Santa Is a Psychedelic Mushroom." It traces the origins of Santa to the shamanic rituals of the Sami people in Lapland:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/opinion/santa-christmas-mushrooms.html

Ever heard of this, Jyrkkä Jätkä?

Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 3:19:49 AM
No worries--I was sick of that icon. So now it's the Nebra Sky Disk, the earliest known map of the heavens, discovered in Germany in 1999. Looks like a friendly place ; )

Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 3:00:39 AM
Thank you, Sarriesfan. I agree that it's useful to specify, but it's tedious to repeat. I think I'll take a tip from your "witty signature" line and indicate it in my signature line.

I still would love to know what those who ask questions expect or need in terms of varieties of English. I hope some of them will answer.

(p.s. My icon is the Golden Gate bridge, and I live near San Francisco. But now that I'll add a signature about AE, I think I'll change my icon!)

Topic: Which is the correct sentence?
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 2:47:59 AM
They're both fine.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.