Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 144
[0.02% of all post / 0.29 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: reluctant vs. unwilling
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 5:57:39 PM
While Wilmar's answer is true to a certain extent (the fact that the examples *indicate*) - it isn't necessarily true in example 1 that she eventually did. I look at 'unwilling' as the next step to 'reluctant'. Consider the following:

Jane was initially reluctant to provide her address on such a public forum and indeed, after much discussion about the wisdom of such an action, she decided she was unwilling to do so.

So 'reluctant' might turn into acceptance ... but it might well not.

FWIW

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson
Topic: missile
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 12:26:24 PM
Is there any chance the missile reference is speaking of the bottle? That was my first inclination...I mean, some bottles look like a missile.

But I defer to the other responses - simply because I've never heard the term 'missile' refer to shots, doesn't mean it isn't true, despite my considerable time in bars/pubs over the years - both as a bartender and a customer. :)

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson
Topic: in or on?
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 5:25:28 PM
Someone like Thar will have to provide you the rules of what you're asking, but I believe 'in' is referring to 'where' on the table .... the middle. If the author omitted the (relative) location, he/she *should/would* have used 'on'.

As always with responses from me ... fwiw :)

And no, I'm NOT a teacher ... especially not in grammar! But I have been speaking English for almost 65 years.

Topic: A Hand And a Finger
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:56:17 PM
It's apparently true ... per Wikipedia ...

"The banana fruits develop from the banana heart, in a large hanging cluster, made up of tiers (called "hands"), with up to 20 fruit to a tier. The hanging cluster is known as a bunch, comprising 3–20 tiers, or commercially as a "banana stem", and can weigh 30–50 kilograms (66–110 lb). Individual banana fruits (commonly known as a banana or "finger") average 125 grams (0.276 lb), of which approximately 75% is water and 25% dry matter (nutrient table, lower right)."

Topic: contextually distant
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 2:48:39 PM
Not positive about this, but I imagine it means that the nurse and patient view the same situation completely different. Due to their place *in* the situation (their context), each has different motives, concerns, & priorities - hence, their view is different (or distant).

FWIW

Topic: coversational
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 1:08:42 PM
In this instance, 'conversational' is referring to, essentially, the manner in which they communicated. It was limited - but it was persistent.

Which goes to your second question - the phrase you wrote could be rewritten to say, "...reminiscent of the persistence of a housefly" (that lands repeatedly despite being shooed away again and again). Actually, the phrase you wrote is actually referring to the word 'persistent'. Capice?

Hope this helps in some small way.

Topic: Paragraph
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:34:09 PM
I agree w/Romany - I know you were all waiting for that! ;)

Topic: pick up
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:29:41 PM
the wind speed increases

Topic: My sister is/was a former nurse.
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:16:45 PM
Hi Elaine - just another thought - removing the word 'former' from your second example works as well.

Essentially, the second example is redundant - 'was' and 'former' both relegate the noun to the past.

Hope this helps somewhat - ciao

stv

Topic: mean
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 2:50:02 PM
There are a number of words or phrases, but what is most suitable might depend on *what* you're trying to convey - by that I mean the definition of a word, the explanation of a concept, or maybe even a short discourse on a flowchart, drawing, or image. And this is certainly not an all-inclusive list.

If it is something like a definition, you might say "...is defined as..."; you might use 'encompasses' if the subject is involved and might take a lengthy or extended explanation; or for some type of image or drawing, you might use '...is illustrated...' or '... is shown...'.

Hope this helps somewhat.

steve

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.