User Name: EnglishFanatic92
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 39
[0.00% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: To be accepted as a member is to have an IQ in top...
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 3:45:02 AM
Hello all.

Once when I was in Ireland I saw a kind of really bizzare sentence to me.

- To be accepted as a member is to have an IQ in top...

Do you use this kind of "structure" often? Is it colloquial? Because I would use something like "requires/means" instead of "is".

Thank you.
Topic: largely/mainly/mostly
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:42:14 AM
Really? "had got" is incorrect? I am really disappointed in my teacher then.
Topic: largely/mainly/mostly
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 3:09:04 PM

Hi all.

I have always looked up to Roger Federer, considered by many the best athlete in the world. The reason wasn´t my ambition to play tennis as well as he does. Mainly,Largely, Mostly, it was his motivation to work hard and give it everything he had got.

My teacher told me that the safest way to avoid making a mistake is to use "mainly". However she couldn´t tell me whether the other two are possible or not - in this context. :(

Topic: These are those..... would you ever say this? + context
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 6:26:11 AM
Hello dear forum :)

One last question for today, I promise :)

- These are those things I couldn´t see when I was younger.

The sentence above is the one which came on my mind first. Later, I realized it might be better to say: Those were the things.......

Even though I feel like the second sentence is slightly better I wonder whether I could use the first one.

Thanks!
Topic: advantages public transport offers/advantages of public transport
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 5:55:27 AM
Thank you very much thar.
Topic: advantages public transport offers/advantages of public transport
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 5:44:29 AM
Hi all :)

I wrote:

- But how often do we see advertisements encouraging people to travel by public transport? It is essential to highlight all the advantages public transport offers.

My teacher suggested: But how often do we see advertisements encouraging people to travel by public transport? It is essential to highlight all the advantages of public transport.

Is the end of the first sentence wrong? If so, what does it make a bad sentence?

Thank you.
Topic: I was one of those people seeing just the result without noticing the effort preceding it.
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:25:17 PM
Hello all.

I am afraid you have heard this question many times but ......I really can´t see what is wrong with this sentence.

- Those were the things I couldn't see when I was younger. I was one of those people seeing just the result without noticing the effort preceding it.

My teacher told me that "seeing" is simply wrong. She suggests that I write " who could see" instead. But what is wrong with "seeing"?

Thank you
Topic: I had to wait for my grandfather, being lost in the crowd.
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 5:00:54 PM
Hello.

I would like to know whether one of these sentences could possibly mean: I had to wait for my grandfather who was lost in the crowd.

1) I had to wait for my grandfather being lost in the crowd.

2) I had to wait for my grandfather, being lost in the crowd.

Thank you.
Topic: One sentence which is said to be incorrect
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 4:23:27 AM
Hello again.

It has been some time since I posted this question but let me ask you one more thing please.

- I ran through the crowd of people, hurrying to get to work. - Here I was told that the comma can change the meaning of the sentence. In other words "hurrying" can refer either to "people" or to "I" depending whether I use comma or not.

Why isn´t it possible to do exactly the same with: - I found her there, (?) having been waiting for her husband for three hours.

Thank you very much!
Topic: Use the verbs in brackets in their correct form to complete sentences.
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 5:30:31 PM
Hi guys!

From CAE book:

The....(reveal) that someone had robbed her of her most treasured possession was devastating. The right answer is THE REVELATION.

However I would use THE REVEALING as I know it sometimes is possible to use gerund as a noun.

Why isn´t it possible here?

Thank you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.