The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: EnglishFanatic92
About
User Name: EnglishFanatic92
Forum Rank: Member
Occupation:
Interests:
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Last Visit: Friday, July 14, 2017 8:04:02 AM
Number of Posts: 50
[0.01% of all post / 0.12 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: indefinite article after in terms of/as for -when is it posssible?
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:26:59 AM

Hi all :)

In these sentences below I was told it wasn´t possible to use indefinite articles...however I would like to know when it is possible :) Does it depend on if there is "as for" or "in terms of" ?

- In terms of (a) genre, Agatha Christie is the best.

- As for (a) genre , it is often underestimated by critics.

Thank you.
Topic: I thought he did ....I thought he started....
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:17:09 AM

I have found a transcription:

Q. Talk us through what changed between the first and second sets, so different.
ANDY MURRAY: Well, I thought the beginning of the match he started (had started?) out well. I was a little bit tentative at the beginning and getting used to his ball. He hits the ball extremely hard and flat. At the start I felt like I was on the back foot a little bit. Towards the end of the first set I started to come into it more, be more aggressive. Then second set I just picked up from how I was playing at the end of the first. I felt like I could have won the first set. Obviously had some chances there. I was extremely aggressive in the second set. Managed to run away with it.


Q. Five sets in four hours. Do you feel that wasn't a reflection of the way you dominated the match?
ANDY MURRAY: I wouldn't say I dominated the match; didn't necessarily feel that way.
I obviously had more breaks of serve and stuff by the end. Because of that I assume I probably would have won significantly more points. I don't know, though, exactly.
But, yeah, I thought I did (had done/was doing?) a good job tonight. I think I did all the things I needed to do. I did them well. Even, like I say, after the second and fourth sets, which were tough to lose, because, you know, I wasn't comfortable, but I was in, you know, good positions in both sets.
To lose them was tough. I was just happy with the way I responded after both those sets.

Topic: I thought he did ....I thought he started....
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:38:48 AM
Hello all :)

I have recently came across with Andy Murray (a tennis player) and his English. However, there are two sentences which I consider wrong.

1) - 0:45 VIDEO

He says: Well, I thought the beginning of the match he started well.... - IN MY OPINION it should have been - had started

2) 2:28 VIDEO

He says: I thought I did a good job tonight.... IN MY OPINoON it shoudl have been - was doing or had done depending on whether he meant during the match or after the match or so.

What do you think?

Thanks.

EDIT: Can you see the links? I can not see them here but I can see them in my history.
Topic: The world would be a little fuller of nicer girls.
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:56:07 PM
thar wrote:
'would' implies a conditional, but you have no 'if.....'

So I don't​ get what you mean.


Do you mean 'should'?



I wrote an essay about "Living at the same age until we die" and one of my ideas was that if every girl could decide the age she could live until she dies - the world would be a little fuller of nicer girls (because of the fact that they would decide at what age they want to stop aging - which would lead (hopefully) to having more beautiful girls ) :D I know, weird. I was given this task.
Topic: The world would be a little fuller of nicer girls.
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:11:56 PM


Hello all :)

Is this sentence correct?

- The world would be a little fuller of nicer girls.


It might not be something you say every day but still, is it correct and idiomatic sentence? Of course, if I wanted to play it safe I would say/write (I wanted to use the original sentence in my essay) "There would be more beautiful girls in the world".

Thank you very much. Can´t wait for your asnwers :)
Topic: I´ll have my hair cut.
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 5:28:01 PM
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
thar wrote:
Dats poss. Whistle

Twice today you have said something I do not understand. The other was 'tungnastics'. I thought it could be 'tongue gymnastics' but still have doubts. And who are freedelphians?

Please explain yourself, sir!


I was going to ask the same but I believe it means "It is possible" :)

freedelphians - I didn´t know what it meant either but Google helped. I am sure you will find it in a second too.
Topic: I´ll have my hair cut.
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 3:22:48 PM
Thank you very much for your support. It really helped even though I didn´t reply to it immediately.

One more idea :)

Is it possible that people might prefer to use "will" instead of "going to" when "tweeting" on Twitter? On Twitter I think you have limited number of words you can put in one post which might make "will" far more prefarable? What do you think?¨



Btw, did I use "put in" correctly here? It was supposed to mean "insert".

Thanks
Topic: To be accepted as a member is to have an IQ in top...
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:20:30 AM
Thank you very much for all your help, really appreciate it. Even though it might not be totally wrong in the end I think I had better avoid this structure as there are safer ways (at least for me, a non-native speaker) to express exactly the same.

Maybe one more thing I asked on that forum. Do I have to put there an article before TOP 10?
Topic: To be accepted as a member is to have an IQ in top...
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:01:23 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It may not be very common, but it is an ordinary 'is' sentence.

"To be accepted as a member" (infinitive phrase)
is (linking verb)
"to have an IQ in the top ten percent" (infinitive phrase)

"To live is to eat."
"To be rich is to be happy."
(not necessarily true, but . . . )


Is it possible that some native speakers may consider this sentence unnatural? I have posted this sentence on different forum (asking different question, not the one I asked here) and everybody found the sentence odd/unnatural. So I guess it might not be a good idea to use it na exams like FCE/CAE?
Topic: I´ll have my hair cut.
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:13:13 AM
thar wrote:
The first part is fine.

But the second part is a future plan. For that you use the present progressive.

I am going shopping tomorrow. Would you like to come with me?

Sorry, I can't go shopping with you tomorrow.
I am having my hair cut.

(You could say
you are having a hair cut
or
you are having your hair cut [where you are using the structure 'to have something done' meaning you are paying someone to do it]
either way the meaning is the same).


This is exactly what my teacher told me. I believe you both are right. Then, there is the question why native speakers often use WILL even for future plans! I can give you plenty of examples:

-We will do it later. (interviewer tells this Taylor Swift during one interview when she starts speaking about something what the interviewer intended to do (discuss) later on)
-Federer will play in Miami. (this is an obvious future plan - written by a native speaker - not by Federer himself))
-It´s true. Taylor Swift will return to Austin this year! (announcement on her webpage)
-Today I´ll hold a press conference. (Maria Sharapova on her Twitter - Okay, this is not a good example as she is not a native speaker)
- Taylor Swift during a concert (at the beginning): Hey. Today we will make this.... Again....I don´t really see how this (these but especially this one) examples differ from the my original one.

Don´t get me wrong. This all above might make it seem I don´t believe either you or my teacher. That´s not true! I am just really confused because I though I knew how the things worked.

Thank you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.