User Name: EnglishFanatic92
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 137
[0.01% of all post / 0.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: - By 2050 people will survive on the last remaining pieces of dog land. /By 2050 people will be surviving on the last remaining
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2019 12:28:12 PM
Hello all :)

- By 2050 people will survive on the last remaining pieces of dog land.

- By 2050 people will be surviving on the last remaining pieces of dog land.

Is it correct to use these two sentences (tenses) interchangeably or in some context would you prefer one over another?

Thank you!
Topic: -I ran through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker's speech.
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:41:12 AM
Thanks!
Let me ask you two more questions please :)

1)

I am running through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker. CORRECT
I've come to watch some of the matches being played here. CORRECT

HOWEVER:

I have to look for my grandpa being chased by the police for running round the city all naked. INCORRECT

I know that you said you didn't know why, dragonspeaker. However, for me this is crucial to know. Why is it so the third sentence doesn't work? How do I know I can create similar sentences without making a mistake? I wish I had something to hold on to since I love these structures and very often it would be correct. This incorrect example, however, worries me a bit.

2)

Quote:
There are some circumstances in which "wait" and "___-ing" can be used, colloquially.
These would be cases in which the action is occurring and you are waiting for it to be completed.

Does it apply to the passive too? Since it is exactly what I intended to express with my original sentence which was marked as incorrect - I had to wait for my grandfather being transported from the hospital.

Would it help if I changed "transported" for e.g. "being driven from/being taken from/being brought from hospital" ?

- I had to wait for my grandfather being brought from the hospital.
- I had to wait for my grandfather being taken from the hospital.
- I had to wait for my grandfather being driven from the hospital.

This is a reaction to dragonspeaker's posts. May I ask you both (dragonspeaker and FounDit) to help me with this? Even if you were to share the same opinion, it would help me a lot to know that :) Thank you very much for all your help you have and sill are providing me with!

Topic: -I ran through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker's speech.
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 5:08:32 PM
It helps a lot!

May I ask you to check something for me please? In my opinion in the two sentences below I should use "being" if that "thing" is
happening at the moment I am speaking. As I speak now, the people are being hypnotized and my grandpa is being chased.

1) I am running through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker.

2) I have to look for my grandpa being chased by the police for running round the city all naked.

Whereas these two snetences below without "being" would rather be used for something that happens regularly, wouldn't they?

I.) I run (I wouldn't use "I am running" either) through the crowd of people hypnotized by the speaker.

II.) I have to look for my grandpa chased by the police for running round the city all naked.

Topic: designed/had designed - past perfect issue
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 9:33:28 AM
Thank you!

As it is about the same, let me ask you one last question here.

What about this:

https://ibb.co/jhJBcmH

"...which was released in.."

Is it correct to use past simple here?
Topic: designed/had designed - past perfect issue
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:32:35 AM
Hello all :)

Intimidation isn't what I'm going for", Ms. Swift, eighteen, said earlier in the days in the Zen-like bus she and her mother, Andrea, designed, from the leather on the sofas to the faux peacock feathers on the bathroom wall.

- My question is - shouldn't there be a past perfect? I understand that it may be possible not to use past perfect, yet I guess if I was sitting an exam I should use had designed (as it seems to be more accurate) in this context/situation, shouldn't I?

To see the whole context, see the link below!

https://ibb.co/yqBM6R9

Thank you :)
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:18:00 AM
Thank you! Yes, I did mean "wait" and not "with". :) Sorry for that!

-I ran through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker's speech. = I ran through the crowd. They were being hypnotized. CORRECT
-I had to wait for my grandfather being transported from the hospital. =INCORRECT

Why is it so the latter sentence is incorrect? Is it possible to specify that? Isn't it really only because of the "wait" (that goes with the infinitive TO) in the sentence? At the same time, to me, it would make sense if "being transported" modified "grandfather". As no one would say this sentence, I guess it might really be the "wait" causing the trouble. What do you (and others) think?

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:05:40 PM
Hi all!

I have been told by one native speaker and my non-native teacher one sentence can be understood two ways:

- I ran through the crowd of people, hurrying to get to work. = I ran through the crowd. I was hurrying.

- I ran through the crowd of people hurrying to get to work. = I ran through the crowd. They were hurrying.

I wonder whether it is possible to do the same with a passive construction in the following example:

-I ran through the crowd of people being hypnotized by the speaker's speech. = I ran through the crowd. They were being hypnotized.

I have already been told that:

I had to wait for my grandfather being transported from the hospital. =INCORRECT
I had to wait for my grandfather to be transported from the hospital. = CORRECT

In my opinion, these two sentences using "wait" aren't the same since "with" is (in similar structures, not every time) followed by "to be" infinitive - e.g. - I waited for him to arrive.

Thanks for any help :)
Topic: with...being
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 7:35:09 AM
As far as I know, as far as you have told me,

1)

Quote:
- With more people informed... = refers to people who were previously informed earlier (and still are).
- With more people being informed..... refers to people presently being informed.....

Here, BEING emphasizes the continuous aspect. It is not necessary to us BEING here.

2)

Quote:
....with socal media and access and people's opinion being heard. For the first time,... ( HERE- 4:10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-Dc9Vkv-s)

Here, BEING doesn't emphasize the continuous aspect, but the sentence does NOT work without BEING.

3)
Quote:
- Twenty different drugs including alcohol, were ranked, ending with alcohol being ranked as the worst overall - above heroin- meth, tobacco and more.

- Twenty different drugs including alcohol, were ranked, ending with alcohol ranked as the worst overall - above heroin- meth, tobacco and more.

- Drugs such as alcohol which have a major effect will rank more highly in the ISCD analysis, with tobacco being ranked lower because its harms are mainly personal.

- Drugs such as alcohol which have a major effect will rank more highly in the ISCD analysis, with tobacco ranked lower because its harms are mainly personal.

In these two sentences, it is possible to use either option. Sentences work with or woithout BEING. If I choose to use BEING, it does NOT add the continuous aspect.

So sometimes I have to use "being" in similar sentences with "with" to emphasize the continuous aspect (see 1) and sometimes "being" is necessary just for a stylistic purpose (see 2) ? + sometimes it will be pefectly fine not to use "being" at all - especially when I don't need/want to emphasize the continuous aspect (see 3)? My first question is: What's the difference between sentences in 1) and 3) ? In 3, if I decide to use "being" - it does not add the continuous aspect. However, if I decide to use "being" in 1), it does add the continuous aspect to the sentence.

My second question is

- Our audience could be provided with a presentation being given by one of our best historians.

How does this structure differs from all the examples above? It includes with+being too, yet, as you have told me, BEING is NOT possible here at all. Why isn't BEING optional here as it is in the other examples?!
Here is the link where you told me so - https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst189742_Our-audience-could-be-provided-with-a-presentation--being--given-by-one-of-our-best-historians.aspx

Will be grateful for any help. Thank you very much!
Topic: infinitives/gerunds as subjects
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:40:16 PM
Thank you very much for all your help. It helped.

However, I am not 100% sure about the status of these two sentences using gerunds intead of infinitives.

So, please, would you consider them ok to use or not at all? I know you have provided me with some reasoning why you (probably) prefer the infinitve versions, but I'd like to know if the gerunds forms are, in these two entences, really bad and not possible to use. Thanks!

- Pushing through turnstiles of a Taylor swift concert is entering, as the saying goes, a women's space. Swift has the power to turn a hockey arena into a room of one's own.

- Walking in nature is experiencing one of the greatest simple pleasures of being alive.
Topic: infinitives/gerunds as subjects
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 4:37:57 PM
It's interesting. It seems to me that if a sentence has two subjects, the infinitive is used.

- To push through turnstiles of a Taylor swift concert is to enter, as the saying goes, a women's space. Swift has the power to turn a hockey arena into a room of one's own.

- To walk in nature is to experience one of the greatest simple pleasures of being alive,

However, gerund seems to always sound wrong in these kind of sentences. Or am I wrong? I know there may not be a rule, but it would come in handy to find some clues what it is so....

- Pushing through turnstiles of a Taylor swift concert is entering, as the saying goes, a women's space. Swift has the power to turn a hockey arena into a room of one's own.

- Walking in nature is experiencing one of the greatest simple pleasures of being alive,

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.