Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ripening magic?
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:13:51 PM
Thanks for your fast replies palapaguy and NKM. You've been so helpful.
Topic: ripening magic?
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:13:39 PM
Hi,

I've met usage of "ripenning magic" in some sentences and some of them (ones about ripeninig of fruits/vegetables) make sense for me. But in some texts, I think it's more of an idiom.

Examples;

A young girls ripening magic . . . the last hope of a doomed land.

She’d expected more red, but everything was green instead, glowing like ripening magic.

In those sentences, what does "ripening magic" mean?
Could anyone help me understand?

Topic: Center won't hold?
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:07:09 AM
Thanks for your explanation.

pjharvey wrote:
As a grammar point, the use of "won't" in the place of "cannot" or "doesn't" expresses irritation on the part of the speaker. If you say so, it is as if you attributed to the centre a malignant spirit of its own, who pertinaciously refuses to hold; as if you said, "I want this centre to hold, but the damn thing refuses to cooperate".
Apart from grammar, however, I am not sure what you are referring to.
Topic: Center won't hold?
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:53:20 AM
I met this usage and couldn't understand it's meaning. "Center won't hold" or as in W. B. Yeats’s famous line, “Things fall apart, the center cannot hold.” Could someone explain it to me?
Topic: other way?
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 8:35:11 AM
Clyde of Oz wrote:
I'm having trouble with understanding this sentence: "All who now refer to it distinguish it from at least one other way that we deal with, digest, and use our mental experience."

Especially, "at least one other way" confuses me.

Could someone explain this sentence's meaning to me?

'at least one' just means 'one or more'

So they distinguish it it one way, but they might distinguish it in more than one way.

"Other" between one and way had confused me. I thought it may have a unique meaning as an idiom or phrase.
Now I'm clear. Thank you. You've been so helpful.
Topic: other way?
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 3:06:26 AM
I'm having trouble with understanding this sentence: "All who now refer to it distinguish it from at least one other way that we deal with, digest, and use our mental experience."

Especially, "at least one other way" confuses me.

Could someone explain this sentence's meaning to me?
Topic: precede ... into?
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 3:10:30 AM
Ah! I thought it has a meaning like "preceding divisions" but now I understand "the source of the self that precedes" is the subject in that part. Thank you, you've been so helpful.
Topic: precede ... into?
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 2:53:17 AM
Hi,

I have trouble to understand that sentence: "The essence of the quantum self is that it describes that source of the self that precedes divisions into mind and body, into the mental, the emotional, and the spiritual, and that precedes the self ’s identification with existing ways to be."

Usage of "precede" along with "into" confuses me. Could someone explain its meaning to me?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.