User Name: Sarrriesfan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 359
[0.04% of all post / 1.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Advice? Where to Travel in the UK and Europe in Summer?
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:01:02 AM
One place I would suggest visiting is Avebury.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/lists/avebury-world-heritage-site

It's a stone circle and henge complex that's about 30 minutes drive away from Stonehenge but less well known, and has some advantages over its cousin. Stonehenge is busy so much so now that people have to buy tickets with time slots to see it, with only a certain amount each time.
Avebury is less busy, when I was last there it was only us and 3 other families.
At Stonehenge everything is regulated you get on a shuttle bus at the visitors centre are driven up to the site, walk along the path with everyone else take your photographs then get on the bus again. At Avebury you can get close enough to the stones to touch them if you wished to.

One thing to bear in mind is that wherever you are in the UK you are not too far away from the Sea, unlike the vast distances in countries like Canada or Australia, off the top of my head I think the furthest point inland anywhere is around 130 miles drivable in a few hours.

I would consider hiring a car to drive around, there are so many places to visit as Romany says.
The Roman baths in the city Bath which are quite close to Stonehenge, although parking is a problem there you need to,use Park and Ride.
The drive along Hadrians Wall is great you can visit a number of Roman sites such as Corbridge Roman Town, Vindolanda fort Sycamore gap and Housteads.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/housesteads-roman-fort-hadrians-wall/
Housteads is an intresting place, and the views around Scyamore gap are spectacular.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: beer muscles
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 6:15:35 PM
'Beer muscles' is alright 'beer googles' have caused a friend of mine a few problems.

'Beer googles' is the term for when you have drunk enough beer to find a person attractive who you would not normally.

Topic: St Patrick's Day
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:04:36 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
he was a hero because he saved the Finnish grape crop from the grasshoppers . . .

Finnish grapes? A special cool-weather breed, I presume.

I can't see anything about England/Ireland soccer - you probably heard of the 6-nations Rugby game on Friday.
Ireland won by 13 - 9.

Rugby is a bit more 'geltlemanly' than soccer.

I don't really know Marylebone - except as a space on the Monopoly board!

Apparently, Marylebone Village is part of the manor of Tyburn (of gallows fame).
The manor in total was valued at fifty-two shillings in 1068, in the Domesday Book.
The church of St Mary at the Bourne was built a few centuries later, and the village took on that name.

Charles Dickens and Edward Gibbon lived and wrote there, Oxford Street and Regent's Park are in the village - and of course the cricket team which some people mistakenly consider to be the England team is actually the MCC - Marylebone Cricket Club.

The Rugby Union football,match was on Saturday not Friday but that's a minor point, Ireland beat England stopping them completing a ' Grandslam' victory they had won the championship already and them getting a world record wining streak.

The M.C.C. is the home of the governing body of worldwide Cricket, but the England and Wales team is controlled by the ECB not Lords.

Topic: Spring Equinox, Eostre, Persian New Year
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 2:49:33 PM
There are two first days of Spring officially here, Meterological and Astronomical Spring.
When does Spring Start?

For Metrologists it starts on the 1st of March as they use the calendar months to,base their calculations on.
Astronomical Spring varies slightly this year it s the 20th of March, but sometimes it the 21st, as the year is not exactly 365 days long, it's the same reason we add a leap year every 4 years.

Topic: Bank Clerk or Bank Worker
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 2:38:29 PM
Here I have to disagree with DragOnspeaker.

My elder brothers first job was as a bank clerk for the then Midland Bank it is used in British English quite commonly, the term for a bank teller is the American title for the same job.

Topic: cheeky little monkey
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 3:09:04 AM
Catherine's meaning is more that a hyphens use is very inconsistent or random, sometimes the same word has a hyphen in one dictionary and does not in another one..
In this context she is using the aspect of something that does not behave as expected, that Progen mentions in his explanation.

Topic: Do You Know about the Golden Fruit?(27)
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 3:12:54 PM
One thing I was told on a tour of a pineapple plantation in Hawaii was that the bromelain enzyme that breaks down proteins would leak on the fingers and eat away the finger prints of the people employed to pick them.

I do not know if this is true or just a story for tourists though.

Topic: A calm, intelligent definition of "DEEP STATE"
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 11:10:16 AM
Kunstniete wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
In Britain, the continuity of government depends on "civil servants". These are not the elected or appointed 'Minister of Transport' or 'Minister of Agriculture' - who is an MP and will only hold the job for a year or two - but are career clerks and so on.
These are the "Permanent Under-Secretaries" for the various departments of government, and are the ones who actually run the place on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis.

If a newly-appointed Minister doesn't know what the hell he's doing and is about to destroy the work of years, yes, the long-term workers in the department will be obstructive, slow, and generally a block.

And this as a real major problem. I don't know about other countries, but in Germany you can be any minister if you know how to do it. You don't need special education of a particular field, you just need to know the right persons. You want to be health minister but have not the foggiest idea about medicine? No problem, just make yourself a name & talk to the right persons at the right moment. That's why we have a woman who was first minister for families/seniors/youth, then for work & social things and finally minister of defense. Actually she studied medicine but was never applied for minister of health because that department is not big and meaningful enough to boost a political career. Brick wall

By the way: with all that gender-equalization thing, why is there no "ministeress" but only a minister for both man & woman?

In some fields they are dropping female only suffixes in the name of equality, for example actress has fallen out of favour with performers of both genders often described as actors in print and visual media, with awards like the Oscars being notable exceptions.

I have always like 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minster' as an example of civil servants in action, it was one of Baroness Thatchers favourite shows as she felt it accurately portrayed the issue.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8keZbZL2ero

Topic: The use of SIR and MA'AM
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:42:55 AM
Romany wrote:

And re Police - it's the same in Australia, PNG & South Africa: even, believe it or not, in China.

Besides which, if cops went around 'sir-ing' and 'madam-ing' to some of the people they have to deal with it would merely be sarcastic and so completely worthless!

I think too, it has to do with the fact that we're brought up to believe people don't automatically deserve respect just because of the clothes they wear (uniforms) or how much money they have etc. They have to earn it.

Yes I think that is the reason, it's something you notice reading some of the things posted by British and Commonwealth posters compared to our American cousins.
When you understand the reason for this cultural difference perhaps it makes it easier to see where each other is coming from?

Topic: Antique
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:52:53 PM
FROSTY X RIME wrote:

Antique can mean "an elderly man".

Personally I like the word "gaffer".

Gaffer is also used as a term for the boss, it is quite commonly used when talking about British Association Football club managers.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.