Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,340
[0.14% of all post / 1.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: shopping mall
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 6:07:50 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
How did "shopping mall" come about when "mall" has the same meaning?

Thanks.

Mall has other meanings than just an area of shops.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mall

Quote:

1. a large retail complex containing stores and restaurants in adjacent buildings or in a single large building.
2. an urban street lined with shops and closed off to motor vehicles.
3. a large area with shade trees used as a public walk or promenade.
4. a strip of land separating two roadways.
5. pall-mall.

The term "shopping mall" let's a person know which type of mall isreferred to.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: good and proper
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 6:35:37 PM
thar wrote:
good and proper is slang (not "well and properly") so it wouldn't be appropriate for saying how someone speaks English even if it fitted.

But it doesn't - it means you did a complete job: you didn't beat him up a little bit, you gave him a thorough beating

You could comment about someone's language skills - she speaks English well (to a high standard) and properly (without slang or 'bad habits').
But that is not the same as the idiomatic slang 'good and proper' -which means you didn't hold back, you did it thoroughly/completely.

This is the only visual aid I could find which does not involve sex!

wind someone up = irritate them, make them angry
[verb to wind - sounds like wined, not the weather 'wind']

Note when it is not slang and is used as the adjectives they are, then there is no idiomatic meaning - a good and proper person (eg for an important position in government) is someone who is good (honourable, not a criminal) and proper (obeys the rules, upholds the law).

Although in Britain the last concept is more often expressed as a "fit"-0f suitable quality or standard, and proper person.
For example charity directors must pass a "fit and proper person" test to be permitted to work with a charity by the Government.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charities-fit-and-proper-persons-test/guidance-on-the-fit-and-proper-persons-test

Directors of some types of companies an be barred from their postion if they are not considers "fit and proper" by the regulator and ultimately the courts.
https://www.cqc.org.uk/guidance-providers/regulations-enforcement/regulation-5-fit-proper-persons-directors#guidance
So "good and proper" is most often used in its idomatic meaning.

Topic: path
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 8:18:34 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Hi, JJ!

Yes, I am sure there are lots of beautiful places to walk through and see in Finland, as there are many of them in Russia.

A special thing about Britain and other parts of Europe formerly under Roman rule though is all those Roman (and Greek) monuments. This is some very important part of history that we here almost don't have remains from (only on the Black Sea coast there are some). So one really has to go to where the Roman Empire was to see those (and to Greece to see ancient Greek ones).

Sometimes those of us who,live with such remains can get a little blaise about them.
There is a place in St Albans near me where the remains of a Roman Gatehouse and wall are in the grounds of the park, however they are not fenced off or signposted they are just there.

People sit with their legs dangling down, lean against them without thinking these are 2000 years old.

Topic: path
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:56:09 AM
lazarius wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Hello!
Is this a 103 km long walking path, or an automobile road?

Must be a bridle path. :)

-

It's a footpath, that's what we call walking paths in the UK.

http://www.northumberlandcoastpath.org

There may be some places that are also bridleways at the same time.

Last week I was in that area and visited Alnwick and Bamburgh castle.

Topic: The ball needs to pump air.
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:19:41 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
The basketball was getting flat. It needs more air.
"The ball needs to pump air."

What do we say to pump the ball?

The ball needs to be pumped up.
The ball needs to be inflated.( If it was very flat).
The ball needs more air in it.

These are all ways I would say it.

Topic: on an urgent basis
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 4:06:29 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Please complete this assignment on an urgent basis.

Do native speakers use "on an urgent basis" to mean "urgently"?

Thanks.

I would say urgently myself, but some people ( particularly those higher up in management) like to use more words than are needed to make themselves seem important.

Topic: Going to the pub? / Coming to the pub?
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:47:04 AM
onsen wrote:
Hello,

A. Going to the pub?
B. Coming to the pub?

Are A and B possible as sentences used for inviting someone to the pub?
How does one use them properly?

Thank you.

This is how I use them.

A.Going to the pub? This is used when the person you are asking may be going to the pub but the questioner is not.

B.Coming to the pub?The questioner is going to the pub and is asking if the other person wishes to accompany or join them there.

Topic: in the mirror
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:13:58 AM
FROSTY X RIME wrote:
lazarius wrote:
FROSTY X RIME wrote:
Bangs/bang is apparently a fringe of your hair.

This is very easy to find out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+cut+your+bangs&tbm=isch

The question was how to do it in the mirror. :)

-

I was not really answering your question; it was already answered by Sarriesfan.
I was simply adding to Sarriesfan's answer.;)
It was just the way my brain worked.

It's always good to have more information someone else might read this thread and wonder what bangs are.

Topic: in the mirror
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:16:48 AM
lazarius wrote:
I understand look at yourself in the mirror, but snip your bangs in the mirror sounds to me like "Through the Looking-Glass", by Lewis Carroll. Is it a regular expression? Can I say before the mirror?

You see your reflection in the mirror and seeing that enables you to cut your hair ( bangs is a particular hairstyle).

It's a normal expression used by native speakers.

Topic: Walking path or walk path
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:07:05 AM
Scotlqnd has a similar right to roam as many Nordic countries, you can walk pretty much anywhere within limits, not a prison or military base for example, and follow the countryside codes.

I think as a legacy of the security situation Northern Ireland is much more restricted.

But to add to thars quotes.

Quote:
7:30AM GMT 18 Feb 2010
In a ruling which "lays down the law" and greatly boosts walkers' rights, Mr Justice Cranston said Brian Herrick must remove every brick of the gateway to his £3.5 million Barcroft Hall estate, in South Petherton, near Yeovil, Somerset, as it blocks a public footpath.
The farmer and managing director of an IT firm has fought a six-year legal battle to save his 8ft high double gates - even getting a criminal record for his pains - but now faces a legal costs bill of at least £300,000.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.