Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 820
[0.09% of all post / 1.24 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Miners’ Welfare
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 6:07:14 AM
The UK has a large drinking culture and places such as the Miners Welfare, the Mechanics Hall and others such as my local Working Mans Club will all have several bars were the men that are members of those clubs can drink.

The point of these clubs is that they are members only and are run on a cooperative basis any profits made from the bars go to the communities that the members are part of rather than to the owners of the pubs normally large bewery companies.

The Working Mans Club in the village I grew up in would hold Christmas parties for the elderly and the disadvantaged, day trips to the seaside in the summer for widows their children and orphans. My father died when I was 9 years old so we went n a few of those. In the days before the NHS arrange for health treatment and some sick pay for those that were ill etc.

The Miners Arms would be a pub almost certainly.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: undercashier
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:46:45 AM
A undercashier would be someone that was junior in rank to someone that was a cashier but working in the same establishment as them as a cashier.

A bank might have a chief cashier and an undercashier who works with them.

Topic: He would have no guns to serve
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:06:58 AM
This comes from the vocabulary of the British shooting world, something I grew up in as a boy.

Here 'guns' is a unit of measurement, each person that is part of a shooting party is a gun, a Gamekeeper as part of his duties would be to make sure that the rich guests of his master in this case Lord Chatterley had everything that they needed when they were on a pheasant shoot.

He would have to serve them in the same sense a waiter serves customers in a restaurant.

Topic: Do you want to know about England or Great Britain?
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 11:10:07 AM
Hope it's complicated, sometimes the relationship between the British and Irish is tense, sometimes it's friendly rivalry and sometimes we cooperate with each other.

Take the British and Irish Lions Rugby Union team, that sends a team selected from the best of the nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to play nations such as New Zealand and Australia.

There is of course the weight of history, many Irish people have not forgotten the Potato famine and the horrible consequences of that time, and although the Canadians and Americans have been at war nothing on that scale has ever happened between them. The British and particularly the English are blamed for the many deaths that happened in Ireland and although in part it's true I think it was more a class thing than an English/Irish issue the poor people of the Britsh isles suffered at the hand of the rich in other famines and in the Highland clearances.

Topic: 'A murder-suicide' (a noun is modified by a hyphenated descriptor OR compound adjective)
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:33:57 AM
If the person had committed suicide first then they would be dead so there would be no murder.

The term murder-suicide gives a basic chronology of the events that happened, first the criminal killed someone else and themself, a suicide-murder makes no sense to a native speakers mind.

Topic: Help me understand this part
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:50:30 PM
Romany wrote:
Vk - keep in mind that this book was written in a different era; and that it contains a rather (for the time) controversial theme.

Marriage among the upper classes was not based on love but on family advancement; money; power. It was quite usual for a man to marry, but only to dutifully visit his wife until she had produced "an heir and a spare" (two sons). Once that "duty" was done each was left to their own devices - men usually had at least one mistress during the marriage.

There was a ridiculous meme at the time that "good" women didn't enjoy sex. Only whores did. The husband then, didn't like to "bother her" with his attentions which society said were unwelcome. Meanwhile, the woman, even if she had discovered that sex was rather fun, had to hide her feelings and to "lie back and think of England." (in other words: have sex for the good of the country: - to produce male heirs.) If she reacted her husband would think her a whore.

However country-folk and the working classes were different. It was ok for them to like sex a) they had no money for other pursuits and b) it was felt that, having limited brain capacity, the enjoyment of sex was much higher for them. Hence the reason why Upper Class men often forced themselves upon servants, or milk-maids, or shop-girls - popular wisdom said that these lower-born women were all gasping for it every minute of the day.

This was the first time a book had ever been written in which a Lady discovered tbhe joy of sex. Ever. Ladies were supposed to be "above" all that. It was only after the book came out (and was banned!) that upper class men ever questioned their belief that Good Women couldn't enjoy sex.

Thus it was a very seditious novel on many different levels. It also introduced the spectre of "a bit o' rough" (which Drago has explained) - and was soon part of the complete upheaval in our society which was underlined by WW1. Male/female relations were never to revert to the "old order" again and a whole new chapter on gender relations began.

If I remember correctly Lady Chatterley's frustration was not due her husband asking her to "lie back and think of England". Lord Chatterley had been injured during the Great War and was paraplegic. This meant he was incapable of engaging in sex with his wife at all.

Topic: an ice and coffee
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:23:14 AM
I would probably call it a coffee float, following the same pattern as a cream soda float or a root beer float.

Topic: could have caught
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:46:19 PM
I would guess from the context that SA is used as an abbreviation for South Africa who are one of the 10 Test Cricket playing nations.

But it's not a obvious usage that many people would understand.

Topic: What do you call this beverage?
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:40:11 PM
mactoria wrote:
One American name for a non-alcoholic fruit beverage is "squash." Usually has sugar, maybe citric juice, as well as some kind of liquefied (ie 'squashed') fruit like cranberry, raspberry, etc., but no alcohol. Not sure the average American bartender would know how to make a "squash" as it's not real common or fashionable now, but that's one option for what Helenej described.

The term squash is familiar to British English speakers as well.

Topic: Eh! what it is to touch thee!
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:29:41 AM
Here "eh!" Is used to express how delighted the man is at touching the woman.

"How great it is to touch you!" might be a modern way to phrase it, or another synonym such as wonderful, delightful etc.

If you were to be able to listen to the "eh" it would be a longer drawn out pronunciation, than the "eh" of surprise.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.