User Name: Sarrriesfan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 429
[0.05% of all post / 1.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Should I learn this word? (Advanced learners)
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 7:01:24 PM
There is another synonym for tchotchke I can think of gimcrack, defined in the OED as :
Quote:
Noun
A cheap and showy ornament; a knick-knack.

The Coag did you know that Big Ben is the name of one of the bells in the clock tower not the clock tower itself?

In fact for many years the Palace of Westminster refered to as "The Clocktower" it was only with the recent 60th anniversary of the Queens reign it was given a proper name 'The Elizabeth Tower".

My own souvenir of London is a copy of this image.

Sometimes called the "St Pauls Survives" photograph it shows the great cathedral in the middle of the blitz, my Grandfather was an Air Raid Precaution officer and would tell us stories of those times.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: Do You Know What Flowers Are For?#32
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 10:30:14 AM
Another amazing thing about flowers is that they can have decorations on their petals in wavelengths of light often ultraviolet light, that humans cannot see but other creatures such as pollinating insects can.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectar_guide

They make it easier of insects such as bees to find the nectar that a flowers produces and also pollinate them.

Topic: Do You Know What Flowers Are For?#32
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 7:32:04 AM
Some flowers can be eaten, nastursiums are good in salads and my Grandmother used to used crystallised violets as cake decorations.

Topic: without with turf
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 7:24:33 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
"Without" is the opposite of "within".
It means 'on the outside'.

He chose the place under the rock and marked the boundary. He decided (resolved) to build a wall (he also calls it a 'work').

work - noun
5.b. A fortified structure, such as a trench or fortress.
American Heritage

He would build the wall of two rows of wooden posts with cables strung between them on the inside.

pile n.
1. A heavy post of timber, concrete, or steel, driven into the earth as a foundation or support for a structure.
American Heritage

The type of structure that is described is also often known as a breastwork, as it is high enough to give cover to most of the body but as it only comes as high as the chest a firearm can still be shot from it.
This is a breastwork trench from WW1.

Topic: What is "fine him a quarter"?
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:29:51 PM
taurine wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
taurine wrote:
While the explanation given by NKM sounds convincing, I wish to suggest something different for horse lovers.
To fine may also mean that, to make finer, purer, or cleaner.
Quarter may bear with itself an understanding that, it says something about either side of a horse's hoof. Hoof is a word used to speak about the foot of a horse. 🐎
In the result I may arrive to the conclusion, close to the heart of a certain former captain of England rugby team, whose brown coat looked like taken from below his pillow on a day of his weeding, that Clean either side of a horse's hoof.🐴

What!?

It should be wedding instead of weeding. Sorry, I have no experience.
I did not want to speak about weeding out dandelions or anything like that.

The last sentence still makes no sense.
"Whose brown coat looked like it was taken from] below his pillow on the day of his wedding" is a little better but I still have no idea to what or who you are writing about.
Mike Tindal, who is married to Queen Elizabeths Granddaughter Zara Tindal the Olympic equestrian?

Topic: hardly been hurt
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:15:32 PM
It is possible for someone to complain that someone else has hardly been taxed compared to them in concept.

Take the Jaffa cakes case other biscuit brands may have been upset when the courts ruled that they where zero rated for VAT in the UK.
Adams foods might say that United biscuits were hardly affected by VAT as much as they were.
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-food/vfood6260

I am not sure that princes sentence is the best way to do it though.

Topic: What is "fine him a quarter"?
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:11:53 PM
taurine wrote:
While the explanation given by NKM sounds convincing, I wish to suggest something different for horse lovers.
To fine may also mean that, to make finer, purer, or cleaner.
Quarter may bear with itself an understanding that, it says something about either side of a horse's hoof. Hoof is a word used to speak about the foot of a horse. 🐎
In the result I may arrive to the conclusion, close to the heart of a certain former captain of England rugby team, whose brown coat looked like taken from below his pillow on a day of his weeding, that Clean either side of a horse's hoof.🐴

What!?

Topic: ISIS apologized to Isreal
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:15:28 AM
Because they are currently fighting a losing war on all fronts with major powers such as Russia and America providing air power they cannot compete with, adding another enemy to the list is something they can well do without.

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:34:53 PM
Yarin wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

They are not providing Isis with weapons, ammunition, training.

Nobody is sure about that.

Don't forget this is ISIS. The most criminal organisation in the world. ISIS attacked all the the middle eastern contries but never attacked Israel except one time and then it immediately apologized. Something is suspicious in this fact.

Isis has not attacked all Middle Eastern country apart from Israel, there have been no attacks credited to them on Oman, The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain as well.

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:21:13 AM
Accepting an apology for one incident and deciding not to respond is not the same as an alliance.

They are not providing Isis with weapons, ammunition, training or troops I would argue they would have to be doing at least one of these for them to be in alliance with them.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.