Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 724
[0.08% of all post / 1.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: downs vs wolds
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 9:29:54 AM
One thing I do remember is that the Lower Chalk now called Grey Chalk formation is has few flint nodules in it, and the Middle and Upper Chalk now known as the White Chalk is where the flint nodules are more common,

But the England vs Australia Autumn International starts soon so I will be spending the rest of the afternoon watching that.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 9:18:27 AM
Closer to Romany Chiselhusrt caves in Bromley on the South East London Kent Borders is an old chalk,and flint mine, though from the Middle Ages to around the 19th century. They were also used as air raid shelters during the war with an underground hospital and even a cinema.

Off the top of my head I cannot give a better summary of Flint formation, but I will go through my files and see if I can remember it.

Topic: 'Staff Sergeant Nadzrie' used three times
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:25:24 AM
palapaguy wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
A day earlier, Traffic Police officer Staff Sergeant Nadzrie Matin, 29, was killed in the line of duty. Staff Sergeant Nadzrie was performing traffic patrol duties at about 10.40am when he got into an accident involving a van along Serangoon Road.

Staff Sergeant Nadzrie
was sent to Tan Tock Seng Hospital but died from his injuries. The 52-year-old driver of the van was arrested yesterday for a negligent act causing death.

1. Staff Sergeant Nadzrie Matin is repeated twice? Is it OK? I would have used 'He' to replace the second Staff Sergeant Nadzrie Matin, as written. But should I use "He" for the phrase repeated in the second sentence?

2. By the way, is 'repeated twice' correct? (I was taught that 'repeat again' is incorrect.)

Thanks.

The full repetitions of Sgt. Matin's name and title are respectful but awkward. An abbreviated form might be better, as I used here. "He" might be less respectful than warranted under the circumstances.

"Repeated twice" is correct.

Palapaguy in some countries the family name is written before the personal name, so although I agree with premise of what you have written it should be Sgt. Nadzrie to be respectful to the dead officer as Matin is a personal name.

It's an easy mistake for those of us used to the western naming convention to make, I only spotted it as my town is very multicultural and I have a workmate with the same personal name.

Topic: she drew up a hassock
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:10:47 AM
I think that in this case "The Light Brigade" does not refer to the light cavalry or the poem by Tennyson, as I understand it it refers to small group of people that Jean Louise refers to by that name for some reason, presumably as they like electrical appliances so much.
Google Books Go Set A Watchman extract
She draws up the hassock to join their group and enter the conversation they were having.

Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:28:16 AM
Romany wrote:

Well, Thanks Thar,

Having but recently come to downs and wolds, I was a little uncertain myself.

I knew, from my childhood, that Dunstable Downs were hills (that my elder cousin was wont to push me down. For which he was rewarded by being the one to find the Roman coin!! My 8 yr old self burned at the injustice.)

And that, really, was the extent of my knowledge.

Dunstable Downs are great for flying kites, paragliders and gliders from, in July there's a Kite festival every year now.
They are also good for making giant lions on.

Topic: Pub/Bar Name Association
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 4:07:33 PM
http://thehappyman1.weebly.com
The Happy Man Englefield Green

I spent a few happy nights there as a student.

Topic: Get help vs take help
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 11:11:28 AM
IMcRout wrote:
Wouldn't you rather 'accept' or 'welcome' the help than 'take' it, SF?
I'd certainly 'take' the money. Whistle

Yes you could accept or welcome his help, but I do not think take his help is stricly speaking wrong in this context.

It might not be the first choice of words that I would chose to use though.

Topic: Get help vs take help
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 10:33:19 AM
Would it work if someone was offering their help?

"John offered to lend me the £1000 to get my car repaired"
"I want to take his help, but I won"t be able to repay him"

Topic: word association(Psychoanalysis)
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:16:34 PM
Information

Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:46:43 AM
The MP that was a UKIP member was what we call a crossbencher, he was originally elected as a Conservative but left that party to join UKIP.

Because under our electoral system we vote for the individual that is to be our constituency MP not a representative of a particular party on leaving one party to join another no election was triggered.

Another consequence of this is bye-elections if a particular MP dies or is removed from office there is no line of succession meaning an election for a new MP for the rest of the Parliment is called.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.