Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 925
[0.10% of all post / 1.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Make up by weight
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:03:37 AM
"This steel makes up up to 25%" would to me indicate that 25% was the maximum amount of steel vehicle and it could have less than that amount..

In this situation the car company is reducing the amount of steel in the car 25% is the smallest amount of steel that the car could have in it but it could be more, I don't think up to 25% is correct.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: looking for an idiom
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:16:13 AM
It often bemuses my friends and neighbours when I refer to the place where we live as "the village" it's now a suburban area of Luton but to my family it's the place where we have lived for centuries. The life that my father had and began to teach my brother and myself about is now almost gone as what were fields are now housing estates, schools and other services.

Topic: looking for an idiom
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:46:46 AM
When I was younger I would actually beat around the bush, my dad would take my older brother and myself on shoot as we were too young to really take part we would be put somewhere on the edge of of the fields with our beating sticks.

Topic: Regular Friends vs. Puerto Rican Friends …
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 5:08:13 PM
coag wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
perhaps I am a little strange

A little!

I'm kidding, Sarrriesfan, you are not strange. You're the Gary Cooper of this forum.
q

You know Gary Coopers family were from around here, he was sent over to be educated where is father was brought up in Houghton Regis.( There's even a pub named in his honour next to the local theatre).

Hedy thanks for your kind reply, I am sorry I offended you at first I did not mean it that way.

Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 2:18:30 AM
Hedy I am glad that you took such a prominent role in the parade, and that it was a success.

But as I said it was a personal point of view and perhaps I am a little strange, I don't want people caring too much about me and prefer to have my own personal space that others don't intrude into.

Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 11:53:07 AM
It might just be me on a personal level or my British character but you know I think I prefer Regular friends, Peurto Rican ones seem to forward for me.

But having said that we are all different and I hope you enjoyed the parade last weekend Hedy.

Topic: Metrics
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 2:34:13 PM
"What does Mean metrics and closing cases"

This should be "What does metrics and closing cases mean".

Metrics in this case are the statistics used to measure something and closing cases means to finish each immigration case.

The people in the article are worried that the new policies of the immigration service in New York are more worried about meeting the targets they have to deport illegal immigrants ( in the current political climate) than worry about the people as individuals.

Topic: Pins
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 1:35:51 PM
Pin here means a small decorative object attached to someone's clothing, pin is the American English term in British English we more commonly refer to them as badges.
This is an image of some.

Although in the case of the story they were of the US flag, you often see the President wearing one on his lapel.

Topic: Would you please define this sentence ?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 5:34:51 AM
Think Eh?
thar wrote:
You're welcome.

Sarries - your battered piles - I can't decide if they sound very tasty or very painful! Whistle

Painful I am sure.

Topic: Would you please define this sentence ?
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 3:45:42 PM
I suspect there is a typo there, pling is either slang for an exclamation mark or an obscure British verb for begging, ( I had to refer to a dictionary myself).

Pilings however are supports for the foundations of a superstructure, a structure like an offshore wind turbine, a bridge or an oil rig that is fixed in place might have pilings that sink into the ocean floor to support its weight.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.