Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 30
[0.00% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Womens' Day.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:46:09 AM
Le nez de Cléopâtre, s'il eût été plus court, toute la face de la terre aurait changé. -- Blaise Pascal

Had Cleopatra's nose been shorter, the whole face of the earth would have changed.
(unsure about my grammar, though)
Topic: Computer MICE or MOUSES?
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:09:24 AM
Ash_Lingua wrote:
Remember back in the dark ages of vacuum tubes and punch cards, computer mice could very well be literal and that on occasion actual the furry little critters would nest in the nice warm backs of those gigantic machines.

In the not-so-golden age (gold-plated age?) we're living, computer mice could still find a warm shelter in gigantic machines: in civil aviation, mice can be a bigger concern than birds as they nest in data centre computer racks, remote radio/beacon locations, or even cockpit computers.
Checking the mouse traps is part of the regular maintenance of any safety-related system.

(btw, Windows Store sells "Wireless, Ergonomic and Bluetooth Mice")
Topic: What do we call this symbol @?
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 10:49:15 AM
From "Office Québécois de la Langue Française":
Quote:
Anglais : special character
Français : caractère réservé n. m.
Caractère typographique utilisé par un programme ou un langage informatique, dans lequel il a une signification particulière, différente de sa signification première, ce qui implique qu'on ne peut plus s'en servir dans des contextes où il a sa valeur d'origine sans certaines précautions.
Note(s) : Dans le langage HTML, les caractères « inférieur à » (<), « supérieur à » (>) et la perluète (&), « ampersand » en anglais, sont utilisés dans des commandes HTML.

On the European side of the Ocean, '&' is more likely to be called "esperluette" instead of "perluète", but both exist.

'@' is more often called "arobase" in France and "arobas" in Québec.
In both countries we can also use "at" for short, and some books use the more rare "arrobase", "arrobe", "arobaxe" and "arrobas".

My mother calls it "le tortillon" (the twisting-thingy).
Topic: No more "holiday parties," please!
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 9:57:10 AM
Now I have to read Hogfather again. And watch it with my children. (Fat chance I can force them to read something in English)

We have no problem in France to express seasons greetings (maybe because there is no "Christ" in Noël (=Christmas)).

On the other hand, there is a strong debate about whether or not a Nativity could be pictured in a public place: is it part of European culture, or religious proselytism?

Higher French court decided this October that:
Setting up a nativity scene in a town hall can only be authorized on three conditions, that this exhibition is "temporary", that it is not accompanied by any manifestation of "religious proselytism" and that it is "a cultural event or at least a festive event".

Of course, this not legally binding as French judges are not elected.
Topic: Don't believe all negative "news" about the United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 9:35:31 AM
Une rumeur et un démenti, ce sont deux informations - Pierre Lazareff

A gossip and a denial make two news.

Pierre Lazareff was head of many French newspapers from the '30s to the '60s.
Topic: Run! I see the Devil!
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:26:33 AM
So do we in France, Luker4 : Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.
(Speaking of the wolf, one see its tail.)

In fact, I could find the idiom in German and Dutch dictionaries only. (but I only searched some Latin and Germanic languages)
Dutch: Als je het over de duivel hebt ...
German: Wenn man vom Teufel spricht ...

Other languages use other figures or images:

Swedish: Trolls - När man talar om trollen så står de i farstun.
(Speaking of trolls they fast stand here.)
Norwegian: the sun - Når man snakker om sola så skinner den.
(Speaking of the sun it shines already.)
Danish: the Devil, but only pointing: Når man rækker Fanden en lillefinger, tager han hele hånden.
(When you point a pinky to the Devil, he takes the whole hand.)

I think it would be nice to expand the list. Are there similar idioms in your part of the world?
Topic: I've had it up to here with you
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 3:41:38 AM
We actually use similar areas in French to express we are fed up with something:
"J'en ai par dessus la tête !" (I have it up above my head!) or "J'en ai jusque là !" (I have it up to here!)

And the less polite one's:
"J'en ai plein le cul !" (I have my *ss full! / I have plenty in my *ss!)

Nothing about the throat comes to my mind, but we also have a fun area: (euphemism?)
"J'en ai plein le dos !" (I have plenty on my back!)
Topic: re-architecting - what is this?
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:05:55 AM
I loosely remember reading somewhere: "To properly college you need to verb your nouns." Ouch.
(Dumbing of Age?)
Topic: if ..then
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:11:27 AM
My two cents :
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail. Yes I would, if I could. I surely would.

Where does "then" fit in this sentence? Whistle (<= panpipes, of course)
Topic: bird dogging - bird doggers
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 8:59:55 AM
OK, I found it here:

Quote:
"So the term bird dogging: You put people in the line, at the front which means that they have to get there at six in the morning because they have to get in front at the rally, so that when Trump comes down the rope line, they’re the ones asking him the question in front of the reporter, because they’re pre-placed there," explains Foval. "To funnel that kind of operation, you have to start back with people two weeks ahead of time and train them how to ask questions. You have to train them to bird dog.”

So it is in fact a new term coined by the Clinton campaign, and thus not in dictionaries yet.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.