Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 168
[0.02% of all post / 0.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Ghost Rockets
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:17:19 AM
What is the purpose of reprinting the article in a post? I see this happening frequently, most often by the same (other) poster. I have never understood why this is done. Could you enlighten me?

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
Topic: Nordstrom Massacre at Bowling Green
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 11:45:07 AM
I salute you, Towan52

I salute you 53 times.

Topic: I Own Radha.
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 5:26:18 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Radha is my GF. Whole. Can I say,"I own Radha"?
Friends, please explain elaborately. I am passionate........to learn.

Not unless you want to insult her integrity as an independent human being, But you might say something like:

"Radha and I belong to each other." There is a big difference as, "own", denotes possession, as if Radha were your property.

"Belonging together," however implies a mutual arrangement.

We also can say things like, "I belong here in . . . Borneo," (for example), meaning that it is right, comfortable, natural that I am here where I am. I should be here. In this usage, "belong", implies no ownership. There is a noun form of the verb. It is, "belonging".

The word, "belong", can also be used to imply ownership. Even so, it is a softer word than flat out ownership. "Belong", takes no direct object. It will be accompanied by, "to".

"They belong to the Artists'Guild."

"Radha belongs to me," gets closer to ownership, but there is not the harshness of pure possession. This is why it's best to say what I think you want to say which is that there is a mutual sense of belonging between you and Radha. So, "Radha and I belong to each other."

Topic: Candlemas
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 2:17:40 AM
Otherwise known as, "Groundhog Day". You could look it up.

I had no clue that Groundhog Day was rooted in such religiosity.

Topic: Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 4:28:38 AM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
Poor nonsense. Is it better to bludgeon people by secret police and army for the sake of a dictator or "monarch"?

Maybe poor nonsense, but not pure nonsense.

Topic: Hearing Loss
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:05:02 PM
Ever notice the volume level in a movie theater?

My daughter and I purchased a noise meter for one of her science projects, many years ago. We then attended various events with the meter in hand. Movie theaters routinely cranked up the volume to levels equal to or louder than a rock concert.

Even my mother who has hearing loss and must wear hearing aids to carry on normal conversation has to stuff her ears with cotton or kleenex when she goes to a movie.

It's not just that there are more explosions, car chases, sirens, disaster and chain saws in the movies being made. Even the intimate dialogue is too loud. I wonder why there is no legislation about this.

Clearly this is damaging the hearing of movie goers.

Oddly enough, I've always turned the volume down when I listen to music. Okay, it's classical music, not rock, but still, I find that a lower volume automatically results in my listening more attentively. Then again, listening attentively is not what a lot of music is about now.

Topic: someone who sets up a couple
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:28:45 AM
papo_308 wrote:
We have a word for it in our language. The Czech-English dictionary translates it as matchmaker or marriage broker.

But it's outdated.

In Yiddish, the word is, "Shadkhen," (phonetic as I could make it).

So when the arranged match is successful and the couple get married, it is called, "a Shadkhen wedding".

Topic: Does anyone really like cantaloupe melon?
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:25:37 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I think cantaloupe is the American word for melon, isn't it?

I don't think so. I've lived in the US all my life (getting longer all the time) and in my experience cantaloupe is the name used for only this one kind of melon. There are so many kinds of melons, it would be futile (and a pain in the keyboard) to list them all. To my knowledge, the cantaloupe is just one particular kind of melon and the name is not used for any other kind. Perhaps this is not the case in other countries.

As for liking or not liking cantaloupe: dear rmberwin, a good one is oh so very very delicious. But a bad one is mealy, bland, watery and probably better used for fleshing out the compost pile. As for watermelon: most of the watermelons you find in the stores nowadays are the seedless variety. The seedless watermelons I've had are exactly as you say, "sugar- water in a sponge". But if you get yourself a regular old seedful watermelon, why that's a different sponge altogether, in fact, not a sponge at all. This last season, I got only watermelons with seeds. The difference in taste was extraordinary: a distinctly singular kind of sweet and an unmistakable irreproducible flavor. We saved the rinds and made preserves with them.

In Berkeley, California, where I live, there are myriad produce stores and farmers' markets scattered throughout the city. Berkeley is not a big town but it's fairly cosmopolitan because so many colleges, universities and specialized educational institutions make for a high percentage of multi-national academics in the local population. So there are many markets specific to many foreign cultures. But my favorite is The Berkeley Bowl. It's a shame that I don't have any photographs of the place because it can make eyes bug out at the sight of it all.

I'm sure there are places like The Berkeley Bowl all over the world, but here, in northern California, It is THE place to take people from out of town. The mind boggling variety of produce makes jaws drop. You really can spend hours staggering through acres of vegetables, fruit, tubers, grains, nuts, legumes, herbs, spices, oilseeds, "and much much more," from every corner of the world. You can find all this stuff in specialty markets, but here it's all in one place. You want an apple, a melon, fungus, a cruciferous growth? You have a choice of varieties and subspecies presented in teensy, small, medium, large, extra large, obscene, preposterous, and mutant sizes, also categorized by country of origin.

There is a specially designated area for organic produce set aside from the "traditionally grown" produce. This is sort of misleading when you think about how many millennia humans have developed the tradition of cultivating edible plants and how very recently the large scale production of produce (factory farming) came into prominence with the attendant tonnage of chemical enhancements and pesticides. So maybe the two sections should best be labeled, "Traditional/Organic," and "Inadvisable"?

It is an entertainment just observing people clustering around something on the shelf asking each other, "What the heck is THIS?" or, "What do you do with THESE?" I am often one of those head scratching people. Recently, I was examining a pile of vegetables that looked like two foot long three sided sage green rods that tapered at either end. They were labeled, "drumsticks". The M.O. is to stand there waiting for someone with a heavy accent to walk up and start poking around to select a good one, and then ask, "Where do they come from? What do you call them in Svengali? What do they taste like and how do you prepare them?"

Nevertheless . . . and I guess all of my enthusiastic verbiage was beside the point . . . we are discussing cantaloupe, correct? SO: the difference between a factory farmed cantaloupe and an organically grown cantaloupe is dramatic (YOOOJ). Maybe you've been buying your cantaloupe from Monsanto, rmberwin? I'd love to mail some to you but, well, they might not be quite so tasty when they arrive. If you ever find yourself in this part of the world, I'd be honored to drag you there and then be embarrassed when you're not impressed.

But I could promise you a fine example of a cantaloupe. You wouldn't even need to wrap prosciutto around it to bring out the flavor. (Actually, a slice of cantaloupe is delicious wrapped in lox).

Topic: bottles of Coke and cans of Sprite
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 5:09:16 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I agree with srirr about the minor difference in nuance.
I'd use the following sentence:

In the upcoming event, the soft drink sponsor will be giving out Coke bottles and Sprite cans.

Wellllllllll. Hate to be picky, BUT: giving out Coke bottles and Sprite cans could mean that they are giving out the bottles and cans without anything in them, so bottles OF Coke and cans OF Sprite is probably clearer. Though if the announcement does word it: Coke bottles and Sprite cans, they couldn't be sued when the bottles and cans were empty because the statement was cleverly vague.

I've just decided not to go to that event.

Topic: Art is the most intense mode of Individualism that the world has known.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 5:02:15 AM
gerry wrote:
No creatingThink Think a child

Mr. Wilde was speaking about individualism not procreation or creation.

Nothing against creating a child. I created two of them at once! (last time I ever do that twice in one night!). But it wasn't individualism; individualism I could have done all by myself.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.