User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 243
[0.03% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Opha Mae Johnson Becomes First Woman to Enlist in the US Marine Corps (1918)
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:52:12 AM
Opha May Johnson (née Jacob, 4 May 1878 – 11 August 1955) was the first woman known to have enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. She joined the Marine Corps Reserve on 13 August 1918, officially becoming the first female Marine.

(...)

Common biographical errors

Marine Corps historians have pointed out that errors concerning the first official female Marine have been circulated and published, the first of which concerns her middle name. Although many have identified the spelling of her middle name as Mae, her middle name is actually spelled May. That is the way she penned it in on the applicant line of a Marine Corps Reserve form. As an official document, her full middle name was required on the form, and thus documented for historical reference.

The second fallacy typically published is her age when she enlisted. Although many report her birth year as 1900, placing her in her late teens at the time of her enlistment, historians cite her as being almost 40 when she enlisted. Various historical records and photographs verify that.

A third, more recent error involves her official photograph. Another well known photograph of three female Marine PFCs (Mary Kelly, May O'Keefe, and Ruth Spike) in 1918, was cropped to show just the center figure and published correctly as being May O'Keefe. At a later date, that cropped picture was erroneously attributed as being Opha May Johnson and subsequently used by otherwise reliable sources.

(...)

source: wikipedia
Topic: Mottainai
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:40:46 AM
もったいない

Japanese
Adjective:

もったいない (-i inflection, rōmaji mottainai)

勿体無い: wasteful
Topic: paunchy
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 7:25:28 AM
This reminds of Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Pot-bellied
Topic: neologism
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 8:11:10 AM
Neologisms are a natural process, even though it takes time for them to be formally accepted by scholars.
Topic: As the viper, though it kills with it, does not deserve to be blamed for the poison it carries, as it is a gift of nature,...
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:03:31 AM
“I come not, Ambrosia for any of the purposes thou hast named," replied Marcela, "but to defend myself and to prove how unreasonable are all those who blame me for their sorrow and for Chrysostom's death; and therefore I ask all of you that are here to give me your attention, for will not take much time or many words to bring the truth home to persons of sense. Heaven has made me, so you say, beautiful, and so much so that in spite of yourselves my beauty leads you to love me; and for the love you show me you say, and even urge, that I am bound to love you. By that natural understanding which God has given me I know that everything beautiful attracts love, but I cannot see how, by reason of being loved, that which is loved for its beauty is bound to love that which loves it; besides, it may happen that the lover of that which is beautiful may be ugly, and ugliness being detestable, it is very absurd to say, "I love thee because thou art beautiful, thou must love me though I be ugly." But supposing the beauty equal on both sides, it does not follow that the inclinations must be therefore alike, for it is not every beauty that excites love, some but pleasing the eye without winning the affection; and if every sort of beauty excited love and won the heart, the will would wander vaguely to and fro unable to make choice of any; for as there is an infinity of beautiful objects there must be an infinity of inclinations, and true love, I have heard it said, is indivisible, and must be voluntary and not compelled. If this be so, as I believe it to be, why do you desire me to bend my will by force, for no other reason but that you say you love me? Nay—tell me—had Heaven made me ugly, as it has made me beautiful, could I with justice complain of you for not loving me? Moreover, you must remember that the beauty I possess was no choice of mine, for, be it what it may, Heaven of its bounty gave it me without my asking or choosing it; and as the viper, though it kills with it, does not deserve to be blamed for the poison it carries, as it is a gift of nature, neither do I deserve reproach for being beautiful; for beauty in a modest woman is like fire at a distance or a sharp sword; the one does not burn, the other does not cut, those who do not come too near. Honour and virtue are the ornaments of the mind, without which the body, though it be so, has no right to pass for beautiful; but if modesty is one of the virtues that specially lend a grace and charm to mind and body, why should she who is loved for her beauty part with it to gratify one who for his pleasure alone strives with all his might and energy to rob her of it?”

― Cervantes, Don Quixote
Topic: In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 7:31:22 AM
As Oscar Wilde himself once quoted, when the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers.
Topic: Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807)
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 3:53:52 PM
Giuseppe Garibaldi's wife, Anita (1821-1849), is a legend in the State of Rio Grande do Sul, in southern Brazil. She's known as the "Heroine of Two Worlds" for having acted in the Farroupilha Revolution (South America - New World) and in the Italian Unification.
Topic: Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon.
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:30:08 AM
spoon-feed someone:
Fig. to treat someone with too much care or help; to teach someone with methods that are too easy and do not stimulate the learner to independent thinking. The teacher spoon-feeds the students by dictating notes on the novel instead of getting the children to read the books. You mustn't spoon-feed the new recruits by telling them what to do all the time. They must use their initiative. (www.thefreedictionary.com)

We have to teach our children - for instance - to be independent so they can learn how to get on in this real world.
Topic: A good face they say, is a letter of recommendation. O Nature, Nature, why art thou so dishonest, as ever to send men with...
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:16:32 PM
Yes, appearances can sometimes be deceiving.
Topic: Patience, that blending of moral courage with physical timidity.
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:21:56 AM
What a superb definition of patience.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.