User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 157
[0.02% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Roald Engelbregt Gravning Amundsen (1872)
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 4:14:01 PM
Another great, visionary man.
Topic: He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing,...
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 1:22:51 PM
"He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain."
Otherwise, it goes like the saying "Easy come, easy go."
We hardly ever value something that is easy to achieve.
Topic: Dead Malls
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 9:59:35 AM
Though being short of money is one of the main reasons for dead malls, a good percentage of people just go to mall to take a walk, at least in A-class malls in Brazil.
Topic: Oppression of the unfortunate makes one weak.
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:44:25 AM
Another great man to look up to.
Topic: Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:52:58 PM
What a witty quote that is.
Conan Doyle is, without doubt, one of my favorite detective fiction authors along with Agatha Christie and Gilbert K. Chesterton.
Topic: Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:23:44 PM
Life is stranger than fiction!
Topic: Modern, Skimpy Bikini Debuted at Paris Pool Fashion Show (1946)
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:33:55 PM
Erna Miriam Etz Kaufmann (Germany, 1914 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 14, 2010) was a model and stylist. Miriam Etz, as she was known, was the first woman to wear bikinis on Brazilian soil.
German by birth, she fled her homeland in the early 1930s because of Nazi persecution of Jews, living in Holland and England for a while, until settling in Brazil in 1936.
In 1948, she made a beachwear launched in France in 1946 and making use of the novelty, she went to Arpoador (Harpooner) Beach in Rio, which caught the attention of bathers and so, due to that fact, she is considered the bikini pioneer in Brazil.

[Free translation from the original article in PT @ https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Etz]
Topic: Suspicious Airshow Accident Kills Aviator B. H. DeLay (1923)
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 4:43:25 PM
B. DeLay. Wright brothers, Alberto Santos Dumont... visionaries.
Topic: zaftig
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 4:02:51 PM
Zaftig
A word of Yiddish origin used to describe a chubby girl, but in a very good way. However, a word of caution: even though it's a kindhearted word, and a euphemism for fat, your wife/girlfriend probably won't feel the same way. She might, but if you call her zaftig, you're more than likely to get a black eye or have to stand outside the bathroom with tissues, depending on the kind of girl she is.

Alternate spelling: zoftig
The following is a conversation between a young Scottish couple who's just started dating:

"Does this kilt make me look fat?"
"No...no...it makes you look...zaftig! I think you look very sexy, old girl."

Good ending:
"Thanks, boy. Let's go to the cricket club now."

Bad ending:
"You think I'm fat! You're mean! I hate you! Get away! Our date tonight is OFF!"

#fat#cankle#chubby#chubs#zaftig#zoftig#yiddish#podgy
by Ruger.12Bore April 10, 2009
[https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zaftig]
Topic: All idealization makes life poorer. To beautify it is to take away its character of complexity—it is to destroy it.
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:28:02 PM
I remember that one of my professors at the Univ. of Houston, Dr. Friedberg (R.I.P.) enjoyed reading his books...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.