User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 202
[0.02% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Terrible emotions always do sound foolish when we put them into our inadequate words. They are not meant to be spoken—only...
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:04:32 PM
5 Quotes by Lucy M. Montgomery:

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.”

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”

“True friends are always together in spirit. (Anne Shirley)”

“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.”

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/5350.L_M_Montgomery
Topic: Frances Ellen Watkins Harper (1825)
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:40:08 AM
A notable woman, indeed.
Topic: John Loudon McAdam (1756)
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 12:00:07 PM
Another genius of humankind.
It seemes to me most geniuses come from Scotland, England, Ireland in the most diverse fields of knowledge, like literature, engineering, ...
Topic: The Production Code
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:19:36 PM
I suppose it is about time to update that code. Hollywood directors overuse the f* word in movies in modern days.
Topic: It was easier to know it than to explain why I knew it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find...
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:02:10 PM
Along with Dame Agatha Christie, Conan Doyne is one of my favorite writers and is one of the world's best ever.
Topic: It was easier to know it than to explain why I knew it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find...
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:01:15 PM
True. Simple, evident things are sometimes hard to prove.
Topic: Defining Idioms that End with Prepositions
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:25:37 AM
Comprehensive list! Very useful for English students worldwide.
Topic: Elizabeth Kenny (1880)
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:30:15 AM
A visionary woman, indeed. R.I.P.
Topic: Aediles
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:04:08 PM
In Portuguese there is the word "edil" that springs from "Aediles", meaning "city councelor" or even "mayor" in present time.
Topic: Jean Bernard Léon Foucault (1819)
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:13:30 PM
Quotes by others about Jean-Bernard-Léon Foucault (1)

The velocity of light is one of the most important of the fundamental constants of Nature. Its measurement by Foucault and Fizeau gave as the result a speed greater in air than in water, thus deciding in favor of the undulatory and against the corpuscular theory. Again, the comparison of the electrostatic and the electromagnetic units gives as an experimental result a value remarkably close to the velocity of light–a result which justified Maxwell in concluding that light is the propagation of an electromagnetic disturbance. Finally, the principle of relativity gives the velocity of light a still greater importance, since one of its fundamental postulates is the constancy of this velocity under all possible conditions.

https://todayinsci.com/F/Foucault_Jean/FoucaultJean-Quotations.htm

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.