[0.03% of all post / 0.42 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: mixed opinions about this
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:01:55 PM
Thank you, FounDit.
Topic: Last Wednesday after our meeting vs After our meeting last Wednesday
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:53:33 AM
I have made up two sentences below.

(A) Last Wednesday, after our meeting, I decided not to join our marketing team.

(B) After our meeting, last Wednesday, I decided not to join our marketing team.

May I ask you two questions?

(1) Do you need the first comma in each sentence?

(2) Because I am not a native English speaker, I don't know which one sounds more natural. Can someone tell me which one sounds OK?

Please answer my questions. Thanks.
Topic: volunteer as something
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:46:28 AM
I have written two sentences below.

(1) Bill is going to volunteer as an office assistant with Jack next week.

(2) Bill is going to volunteer as an office assistant for Jack next week.

Do both sentences mean that Bill wants to work with Jack when he volunteers as an office assistant?

Please answer my question. Thanks.
Topic: Can you say "made it into"?
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:58:58 AM
I am going to make up a sentence.

(ex) One of the products invented by John made it into the international market.

Can you say "made it into"? Thanks.
Topic: What is the difference between these two sentences?
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:49:00 AM
I am going to make up two sentences.

(1) He is planning to take a business course in five years.

(2) Five years from now, he is planning to take a business.

Do these sentences have different meanings? Thanks.
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:24:16 AM
Thanks,NKM. I don't quite understand your answer. Does it mean (1a) and (2a) are correct?
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:37:53 PM
Last week, I discussed these sentences with my friends. They had different opinions about them.

(1a) The certificate John received yesterday recognized his completion of the cooking course.

(1b) The certificate John received yesterday recognized the completion of his cooking course.

(2a) The government funded his pursuit of studies at Cambridge University.

(2b) The government funded the pursuit of his studies at Cambridge University.

Some of my friends said, "In (1), he completed the course himself. It's his completion. You can't say it's his course because it belongs to the school. The school is the one that designs, administers and offers it to him."

My other friends argued, "It's correct to say his course because he took it and owned it until he finished it. It's wrong to say his completion because you can't own your completion."

They argued about (2) in the same way. Who's right? Please give me your feedback. Thanks.
Topic: .... who was a lawyer and is now an actor ...
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 11:07:28 AM
I am not sure if my sentence is correct.

(ex) John, who was a lawyer and is now an actor, has just signed a $10 US million contract with a Hollywood movie company.

Is the part in red grammatically possible? Thanks.

Topic: Why is the past perfect continuous wrong?
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 3:43:31 AM
I don't know why my friends have different opinions about the tense in my sentences.

(1) Over the last three weeks, Tom had been conducting a public survey about people's favorite sport. Yesterday, when he analyzed the data, he found many misspellings in his questions.

(2) During the past five years, Gerry had been doing different types of occupations. Last month, she decided to manage her own business.

In both examples, I think I am using the correct tense in red because the first event happened before the second event mentioned in the next sentence. However, some of my friends said that you have to use the simple past whereas others said that you have to use the past perfect.

(1b) conducted a public survey
(1c) had conducted a public survey

(2b) did different types of occupations
(2c) had done different types of occupations

Who is right? Please give me your feedback. Thanks a lot.
Topic: next month vs in the next month vs over the next month
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 11:19:02 AM
I am going to make up three sentences with additional words in each one.

(1) Next month, we will gather people's opinions about how to improve the current social services in the local community.

(2) In the next month, we will gather people's opinions about how to improve the current social services in the local community.

(3) Over the next month, we will gather people's opinions about how to improve the current social services in the local community.

Could someone please explain how "in the" and "over the" change the meaning of the sentences? Thank you for your help.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.