User Name: Doodle Snackers
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 37
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It is so pleasant to come across people more stupid than ourselves. We love them at once for being so.
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 2:52:18 AM
Daemon wrote:
It is so pleasant to come across people more stupid than ourselves. We love them at once for being so.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Jerome%2c+Jerome+Klapka (1859-1927)

For the love of Mike..err..Jerome, what a stupid thing to say??!!
Topic: The sorrow for the dead is the only sorrow from which we refuse to be divorced. Every other wound we seek to heal—every other...
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2019 7:00:33 AM
If one lives on in the hearts of others then one can never die.
Topic: I made up my mind long ago that life was too short to do anything for myself that I could pay others to do for me.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:50:27 AM
Maugham should've simply gone the whole hog and just paid (not made) up his mind a long time ago to do all of his thinking for him.
Topic: Towns are excrescences, gray fluxions, where men, hurrying to find one another, have lost themselves.
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:57:03 PM
Verbatim wrote:
(no translator credited, which I hate - it takes immense craft to transpose ideas into a new language.)

It also takes a certain rejection of laxness, such as transposing a verb into a noun :)
"...and as he breaths it into his lungs..."

You mustn't ever let the side down by futilely attempting to transpose the word 'breathes' into 'breaths'! ]Shame on you Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Topic: Beauty ought to look a little surprised: it is the emotion that best suits her face. The beauty who does not look surprised,...
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 9:59:44 PM
Beauty tain't everything.
Topic: Most amusements only mean trying to win another person's money.
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:41:45 PM
Most amusements only mean trying to win another person's money.

Reading thi$ made me wince!
Topic: It is not that the Englishman can't feel—it is that he is afraid to feel. He has been taught at his public school that...
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:45:01 PM
If public school Englishmen weren't so fearful of showing their privates in public, then they'd all but very likely end up feeling themselves.
Topic: There is never jealousy where there is not strong regard.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 9:39:47 PM
"There is never jealousy where there is not strong regard."

Which is but another way of saying: "We covet that which we see."

Topic: Why Don't We Put A Space Telescope On The Moon?
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:49:05 AM
Why Don't We Put A Space Telescope On The Moon?

Because it would be sheer lunacy!
Topic: A common and natural result of an undue respect for the law is, that you may see a file of soldiers ... marching in admirable...
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:56:08 AM
Make no mistake, I have but Pundue respect for the Flaw! Brick wall Shame on you Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.