Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 171
[0.02% of all post / 0.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Most
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:32:27 PM
>use quotation marks - 'Bleak House'.

In American English our quotation marks are of the doubled type -- "Bleak House".
Topic: Most
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:04:40 AM
A quick Google revealed this information:

Quote:
The Chicago Manual of Style says: When quoted in text or listed in a bibliography, titles of books, journals, plays, and other freestanding works are italicized; titles of articles, chapters, and other shorter works are set in roman and enclosed in quotation marks.

So, the book title should be italicized no matter where it appears if you follow this resource.
Topic: are having a picnic/picnics
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:22:13 PM
You could say "The three couples are each having a picnic..." This would indicate three picnics.
Topic: comma
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:19:14 PM
The comma is necessary. "mistakes" should be singular: "mistake".
Topic: Is this sentence OK?
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 3:35:48 PM
I can't comment on correctness because I don't know what the sentence is trying to say.

Are you saying "I will destroy everything that we had along with us"? Like a suitcase?

Apart from that, the two ends of the sentence ("I will destroy everything that we had along with" and "but hope that maybe someday we'll meet again") don't seem to have anything to do with each other.
Topic: May
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 3:29:18 PM
There is another meaning for "may", and that is to indicate permission. For this reason, for example, IBM doesn't use "may" in its manuals -- it uses "might."

"The disc may become corrupt."
"The disc might become corrupt."

"May I have more ice cream?"
"No, you may not."
Topic: Is the part in bold correct?
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 10:02:48 AM
I would say

"Jerusha, who had enrolled at the USU in the fall of 2016, was made fun of for her “weird Asian name”..."
Topic: Noted with thanks.
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:49:23 AM
I think it depends on what the speaker means. If the boss tells the worker that the worker cannot do something he wants to, the worker might reply "Noted. Thanks." or "Noted, thanks.", which gives the impression that the worker will do as he's told but is not happy about it. Personally this sounds more common to me than "Noted with thanks" but maybe that's just my American ear.
Topic: What does 'out of jurisdiction' mean?
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:45:43 AM
"Out of jurisdiction" -- you have no power there. If you break a law in Paris, then London (for example) will have no jurisdiction over your crime.

If a mother tells her child that he cannot have a cookie, the child has no jurisdiction over the decision.
Topic: come to inf. get to inf. ...
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:42:33 AM
My vote goes to A.

A. You will come to understand the doctrine after a long time of …
B. You will get to understand the doctrine after a long time of …
C. You will grow to understand the doctrine after a long time of …
D. You will learn to understand the doctrine after a long time of …
E. You will gradually understand the doctrine after a long time of …

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.