Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 189
[0.02% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is "premise" the correct word?
Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:40:40 AM
It should be "the owner of the premises". A premise is a proposition upon which an argument is based. Premises is land, the buildings on it, or both the land and the buildings on it. I've taken these definitions from TFD.
Topic: Should there be three dots instead of four in the above ellipses?
Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:36:12 AM
It has always been my understanding that an ellipsis is three dots and it indicates missing material. Four dots indicates that the wording before the ellipsis is a full sentence, and the dot preceding the three dots is a period. In such a case there is no space between the last word of the sentence and the dot, but there is a space on both sides of the three-dot ellipsis.
Topic: A mythical giant snake...
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:11:56 AM
A young girl from a village in northeastern Thailand grows up worshiping a mythical giant snake called Nakee. She takes care of Nakee's stone shrine and helps her grandmother sell flowers to others who come to worship it. When strange things begin to happen after the arrival of a new police [a new police force? / a new police officer?], the villagers believe that Nakee is the perpetrator and she is back [back from where? Where did she go?] on a rampage. They also believe that the young girl has a special connection to a [the? we've already established the existence of the snake, so I think the definite article is called for] mythical giant snake called Nakee and she can help them.

I'm sure others will have more input.
Topic: After entering a forbidden...
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:04:44 AM
"breaking all the rules in it..."

I do not understand whether this means the rules are in the forest, or the people are in the forest breaking the rules of the forest.

"a group of students become..."

I think this should be "becomes" because the subject, "a group", is singular.

"When six best high school buddies are crossing the forbidden forest and breaking all the rules in it, something evil follows them and causes death."

This the only way I can correct the sentence using red; I would rather say "When six best high school buddies cross the forbidden forest and break all its rules, something evil follows them and causes death."
Topic: Catch up with your favorite...
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:04:08 AM
"what are your pets really doing when you’re not at home with this fun box set of The Secret Life of Pets 1 & 2."

This is just one minor observation but the sentence makes it sound like you're not sitting at home with the box set on your lap. Better might be:
"See what your pets are really doing when you're not at home by watching this fun box set..." You could specify further with "by watching the DVDs in this fun box set".

Not sure if it should be "box set" or "boxed set".
Topic: which I have never done before
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:45:11 PM
"He called my uncle by his first name, which I have never done before".

To me, the action is unclear as to what it is "I have never done before." What he has "never done before" could mean hearing someone call his uncle by his first name, or actually calling his uncle by his first name.

I think it would be much clearer to say
"He called my uncle by his firt name, which I have never heard before." or
"He called my uncle by his firt name, which is something I have never done before."
Topic: To/into
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:52:00 PM
Perhaps because they are updating people on the train as it enters London proper; if they said "trains to London", that covers a lot more ground, there being many stops before the train hits London. Just my guess.
Topic: If you would come
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:15:46 PM
Quote:
A boy rang my house bell and said, "I wanted to see if you would come."

My first impression was a different one. I interpreted the sentence to mean that the boy wanted to see if the person who he expected to answer the door would accompany him someplace. There can be regional differences in language and this might be one of them.
Topic: in from
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:17:32 AM
It sounds okay to me.
Topic: in or for
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:13:36 AM
I would use "in".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.