Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Présentation d'anglais
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 3:16:15 PM
Bonjour!

J'ai une présentation d'anglais à faire mardi prochain, et je voulais savoir si quelqu'un maîtrisant bien cette langue serait d'accord de me corriger!

Voici mon texte qui parle d'un article:

Today, we'll present you an article from the Newspaper Time that speaks about the equality between men and women nowadays. First, here are the most recurrent and important words in the article :

- The word « equality » is the most important one as it summarizes in one word this article.

- Then, « stereotyping » includes all the clichés made from a man concerning houseworks and women in the workplace.

- « Sexism » is also present, is used, for example why women revolted and fought to have the same rights as men at work.

- The biological conditioning of a woman in the fact that it is naturally "predestined" to care for a child at a young age ( for example eg the fact that a woman may breastfeed her child and not a man.)

- Then, the responsibilities of a wife at home are more substantial than those of a man, and the responsibilities of a man at work are not the same as those of a woman.

- Finally, the superiority is in line with the responsibilities as a wife at home, having more responsibilities would feel superior to man and man would feel, meanwhile, more superior at work, but we'll talk later of these points in more detail.

Let’s now summarise the article. For years, women have been struggling to get equality at work, for example, about the wage level, which was an evidence of a sexism. Today, the women situation is evolving, although there are still some rooms of improvement.

Many textes, talking about this whole process that women have to do to obtain equality in the workplace and in other areas, but, this article is mainly interested in the question of the place of men within houseworks and all the stereotypes that go with it. Indeed, this text explains such a stereotype called "looking man", which is, I quote : « a phenomenon when a man opens a cabinet in the kitchen, stares blankly straight ahead, and then yells, "Where's the peanut butter ? " , typically it's right in front of him. » Man is seen, by many women, as a totally unecessary and incompetent when it comes to take care of the houseworks. Women feel so superior in this area and they think that, due to a lack of competences, men do things in the wrong way and so, she would prefer to do everything.

An example in the article which we found particularly interesting because it underlines what we have mentioned previously, I quote : « You walk into your office on your first day of work and your boss, a man, says, “I have evolved biologically to do this job better than you can, but I’m going to let you try. To be sure it’s done right, however, I will leave you detailed instructions for every individual task. And when I travel, I will call in every couple of hours to make sure you are following those instructions to the letter.

Most women would complain immediately to human resources and perhaps start considering a lawsuit. But when I describe this hypothetical scene to audiences of women, the laughter begins to ripple along the rows by the time I get to “I will leave you detailed instructions.” This is precisely the way the majority of us treat our husbands or male partners when we leave them in charge of the children. »

In the article, there is a comparison about the relationship between father and his son and mother and her son. This text also refers to the biological question of women. Indeed, the woman would be biologically (breastfeeding) more fit to care for a newborn than a man, and this could strengthen and privilege the son-mother relationship.

In summary, this article informs that there is some unconscious sexism towards the man at home and also speaks of the "organic" privilege of women.

Evolution between men and women

We have seen the previous roles in the past, let’s talk about its evolution, how is the situation nowadays. The situation of women and men has much changed. In Europe a large majority of women make long studies and are subsequently graduated and have a good working place. The woman no longer has the obligation, from an early age, to stay at home and to take care of houseworks. The image of the 50s for example, which was that women should stay at home to look after the child and houseworks and man meanwhile, worked all day out of the house is now obsolet and gives way to a woman worker and almost equal to men at workplace. Today, man isn’t 100% equal with woman at home. However, there are still at a slight increase from men working at home, but this is not as great as that of working women. In Switzerland, for example, paternity leave does not exist. The father has the right to require 1-2 days off but no more. Paternity leave is still today an initiative to give two weeks' paid paternity leave, and that's a good start in the equality of men at home.

Situation between men and women in other countries

While in Europe, the equality of men and women becomes more and more balanced, it is far from the case in some other countries or regions. Indeed, recently statistics showed that the women education is clearly understated in three regions: South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and Middle East. This is due to the fact that some countries are underdeveloped than in Europe, there are also for religious reasons such as wearing the veil in Saudi Arabia, and the vision of a woman who always are considered as weak, persists as in India , where there is a strong gender bias toward women, his lack of education, for example. We can notice that in the developed countries , the status of women has improved significantly compared to underdeveloped countries . This article tries to highlight the status of men, but instead of women, this subject (inversed trend) starts to be relevant for the future.

Personal opinion

I think the Anne-Marie Slaughter’s article raises interesting issues. I also think that sometimes, women underestimate, a little bit, men in houseworks. As the women don’t trust men concerning the quality of doing houseworks, men can’t express themselves and demostrate their abilities. Unfortunately, they are encapsulated in a permanent and unfair stereotype.

Cela me serait vraiment d'une grande aide!!

Merci d'avance!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.