User Name: Bedells
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,107
[0.34% of all post / 2.69 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: French government considers state of emergency over ‘gilets jaunes’ protests
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 9:00:47 PM
I found this very interesting and wanted to share it with you:

"France is deeply fractured. "Gilets jaunes" (Yellow Jacket/Vest movement) are just a symptom.

POURQUOI ? The paradox is this is not a result of the failure of the globalised economic model but of its success. In recent decades, the French economy, like the European and US economies, has continued to create wealth. They are thus, on average, richer. The problem is at the same time unemployment, insecurity and poverty have also increased. The central question, therefore, is not whether a globalised economy is efficient, but what to do with this model when it fails to create and nurture a coherent society?

In France, as in all western countries, we have gone in a few decades from a system that economically, politically and culturally integrates the majority into an unequal society that, by creating ever more wealth, benefits only the already wealthy.

The change is not down to a conspiracy, a wish to cast aside the poor, but to a model where employment is increasingly polarised. This comes with a new social geography: employment and wealth have become more and more concentrated in the big cities. The deindustrialised regions, rural areas, small and medium-size towns are less and less dynamic. But it is in these places – in “peripheral France” (one could also talk of peripheral America or peripheral Britain) – that many working-class people live. Thus, for the first time, “workers” no longer live in areas where employment is created, giving rise to a social and cultural shock.
'Workers' no longer live in areas where employment is created, giving rise to a social and cultural shock

It is in this France "périphérique" that the gilets jaunes movement was born. It is also in these peripheral regions that the western populist wave has its source. Peripheral America brought Trump to the White House. This protest is carried out by the classes who, in days gone by, were once the key reference point for a political and intellectual world that has forgotten them."

Gilet Jaunes
Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2018 9:14:31 PM
The question on the title of this thread may seem stupid, but I couldn't believe it: there are still people who think the earth is flat. Do you want to know the arguments?

1. The crazy flight routes: For example, why, in order to travel from South America to Australia, do you go to the US and then you go to Australia? Or, to go to South Africa from South America, why do you go to Europe first and then you travel down to South Africa?
2.- People say that the Antarctica and the north pole are covering the edge of the earth and that's why nobody falls out of the planet.
3.- If the earth is flat, why doesn't it have a slope?

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard! That's like saying that man never went to the moon, the Holocaust didn't exist, that vaccines provoke autism or that Michelle Obama is an alien. Anxious

And I wonder where they got that thinking from since at the school you're always taught that the earth is round. Maybe there's someone out there brainwashing people's minds...........
Topic: Woman 'brutally punched' for speaking Spanish in London
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 7:43:42 PM
Reading this shocking news, I can see that racism is unstoppable.

A lady speaking in Spanish on the subway in London, was recriminated and attacked just because she was supposed to speak English. What if the lady was a tourist, a student or a businesswoman? Even though she's a foreigner living there, does that give anyone the right of hitting her just because she was speaking her native tongue in a foreign country?? I don't think so...

I'm not sure if I'm using the right term: racism, bigotry, prejudice..... whatever it is called; it's running rampant and I can't believe that in the so-called first world countries, these things are still happening ... this is crazy!!! Not talking Not talking

Topic: ⬆ Count up ⬆
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:06:47 PM
Topic: Picture Association Game WITH ONLY STILLS FROM MOVIES, TV SERIES/FILMS
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:01:26 PM
Scooby-Doo (2002)

Topic: Reading a Poem Or Reading a Poet
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:05:39 PM
Would you please help me understand the difference between reading a poem and reading a poet?

If I'm reading a Chaucer's poem, I'm doing both things, reading a poem and reading Chaucer. Am I right?
Topic: Prépositions
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 7:08:52 PM
Merci beaucoup, Sandra. Je veux juste être sûr de quelque chose, en anglais il y a deux prépositions similaires à "entre" et "parmi".

Regardez l'image et dites-moi si ces prépositions sont équivalentes à "entre" et "parmi".

Topic: Prépositions
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 11:51:55 AM
J'ai des doutes avec quelques prépositions en français. Pourriez-vous m'aider à comprendre la différence?

1- D'après mon femme, elle est malade
2- Selon mon femme, elle est malade

1- Le chat dort parmi les chiens
2- Le chat dort entre les chiens

1- Je marche jusqu'a elle
2- Je marche vers elle

Merci beaucoup d'avance!!!
Topic: Association with no common consonants
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:15:30 PM
noise
Topic: Just Cat Things
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:14:34 PM

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.