Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,034
[0.22% of all post / 1.56 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Extinction Rebellion
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:45:02 PM
There is a common thread running through some of these current events we've been talking about. People are seeing the Extinction Rebellion as the "first real climate change protest" even though there have been hundreds of them just in the western hemisphere. People think the Green New Deal is new, even though it's been around for almost 20 years. And recently, here in this forum, there was a link to a video that had become popular on social media where the people were talking about how to reverse the damage being done to the US government and society, but everything they said and every suggestion they made had already been said by dozens (maybe more) progressives over the past 3 decades.

In the US, there has been an active and consistent censorship of progressive ideas in the mainstream media, and to a large extent, many large social media platforms. It looks like it has just taken these messages to reach a critical mass before the general public gets to see and hear them in spite of the censorship.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Topic: Immigration
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:49:08 AM
Hope123 wrote:
Just noticed this: FounDit wrote:

Why, proggy, how dare you insinuate that brown-skin people are "thieves, rapists, and drug dealers". That's just ... so racist! You should be ashamed of yourself, to even put those words together in connection with brown people. Tsk, tsk, tsk...Shame on you

These are wonderful people who never commit crimes, are potentially excellent citizens (or, will be if they ever learn the language and assimilate, which they no doubt will immediately do), and will not use any of our social services to which they are not entitled. After all, these folks always obey the law. The sanctuary cities should be rejoicing in welcoming their new neighbors. I still don't know why you are complaining.

Lol. Classic response...the accuser is racist for pointing out his racism

It was childish even for him.

Topic: press freedom
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:47:52 AM
Hope. We all understand that the far right doesn't need or want free press or free speech. You posted in a different discussion a list of the nations with far right leaders and the US was front and centre. They believe White Supremacists are the victims and the heroes and any discussion otherwise needs to be shut down. FD just confirms what we already knew.

Topic: Extinction Rebellion
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:42:35 AM
From the article: So there we were, watching Extinction Rebellion roll by. And one of my American friends remarked to me, “it’s not a surprise these — the first real climate change protests — are happening in London. They’d never happen back home.” She rolled her eyes.

She is absolutely right.

Topic: Bloomberg Article - Investors and Climate Goals
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 8:47:08 AM
Hope123 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Interesting!

Proggy, you and I seem to be the only ones interested in finance. Strange when usually everybody's ears perk up at mention of money.

I know what you mean, especially since we have the 1% who are buying up water rights as investments. If that doesn't send a chill up the spine then I can't imagine what will.

Wow. It does. Where can I read more about that?

I just noticed your signature quote. I assume you know Atwood used it in Handmaid's Tale. I heard she wrote a sequel but then I've heard nothing more.

Here is some info on the wealthy buying up water rights.
http://www.planetexperts.com/banks-billionaires-buying-worlds-water/
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand
https://www.h2oiq.org/new-water-barons-wall-street-mega-banks-buying-world-water/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2015/11/04/americas-nuttiest-billionaire-couple-amid-drought-stewart-and-lynda-resnick-are-richer-than-ever/
And another article about the same couple.
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/lynda-stewart-resnick-california-water/

This one goes back to 2013 and talks about corporations grabbing as much water rights as they can get.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/corporations-grabbing-land-and-water-overseas/

Edit: And my signature does come from The Handmaid' Tale. Haven't seen the TV show, but started the book before we moved. 3/4 through it and just need to sit down and finish it.

Topic: Gone in a Generation
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 7:29:09 AM
Can't expect a discussion about science with anti-vaxxing, flat earthers who are more comfortable believing in chemtrails because it's what their politicians tell them to believe.

Topic: Not Russia that US Right & Left Need to Worry About
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 6:30:27 AM
Hope, when I hear people say that government works for the citizens I need context. With FD we know this means government must work for his tribe based on his previous posts.

Epiphileon, Disaster Capitalism is indeed hard at work behind the scenes and it is likely that we will not know who they are until the dust has settled on the remains of the US when this sh*tstorm finally passes. Then we will know because they will be the only ones left who own and control everything and there will be no recourse for the other 99.999%.

And Epiphileon, I can see how you believe the far right has nothing to do with the chaos in the US (except peripherally) but I think they are the primary actors. It doesn't matter if they are not the brains behind it and only being led by the nose.

Topic: A message from Adam Schiff
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 1:33:06 AM
So much is riding on what happens in 2019. If the true moderates and true independents in the US cannot get their sh*t together long enough to impeach then there is no use even talking about the US as a first world country anymore. The Democratic and Republican party leadership are responsible for him being there in the first place, but they don't carry the same kind of responsibility. We cannot fix what is broken with further elections, because our electoral system has failed.

If the existing party leadership can accept responsibility for what they've done and then begin to fix the damage they've done, we have a chance. But they have shown no hint that they are even close to recognizing their hand in all of this (and many do not even accept that there is a problem that needs fixing). This is because of the money they stand to lose if they fix what they have broken.

The corporate mainstream media treats the damage being done like it's all just "same sh*t, different day". They have abrogated their responsibility as the 4th estate and are instead partners with those intent on destroying the foundations it took more than a century to build.

The solution to this is in the people, and if they cannot get off their "moderate" and "independent" butts and demand specific changes and hold their politicians accountable rather than watch TV and re-post false information on Facebook then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Those in power know that as long as Americans are comfortably distracted they are easily led in any direction.

Topic: Gone in a Generation
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:48:33 PM
This is excellent information. I'm waiting for the US to reach that critical mass where the public is hit in the wallet enough to make everyone take notice. Once that average conservative sees that the bullsh*t their mainstream media has been feeding them is actually costing them their hard earned money, many (but not most) will take notice.

By then it will be far, far too late. The rest of the developed world will be years (maybe decades) ahead of the US and the US economy will fail catastrophically.

Topic: Not Russia that US Right & Left Need to Worry About
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:11:04 AM
Gary98 wrote:
progpen wrote:

The Republican party has been purged of most of those who questioned him so the ones left are either vocal supporters or keeping quiet.

Not sure Trump cares about those Republicans even when they are the most obsequious sycophant left.

It doesn't matter if he likes or cares about the republicans. Actually, I doubt very much if he cares about anyone but himself. And yes, the republican party is awash with sycophants licking his shoes. It is that very weakness that is making it possible for him to do so much damage. He is a pathetically weak bully himself and if there were strong republicans remaining in Congress, they would have stopped him long ago.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.