User Name: progpen
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,157
[0.15% of all post / 2.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Congratulations, Fair-Minded Readers!
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:49:44 PM
I do want to congratulate TheParser for some Olympic class spinning. What would surely have made any normal US citizen dizzy to the point of regurgitation, TheParser has shown what real political spin should look like.

Now, let's get the scoring from our judges:

9.5 from the UK
9.0 from Canada
7.0 from Russia, ooh ouch that's gotta hurt, especially coming from The Comrades
0.0 from North Korea (actually, I think she may have passed out from starvation)
And a perfect score from Mexico 10.0! What a great- oh, there is the one stipulation for the perfect score "Tell Trump we know where he can put his wa-"

And there you have it, folks. This is what the Olympics are all about. Seeing performances like this one really gets the old blood pumping.

And now on to the Underwater Basketweaving...

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Topic: Current president accuses President Obama of wire-tapping his NYC offices
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:46:12 PM
This article talks about how the Republican party is having trouble transitioning from offense to defense.
http://www.aei.org/publication/republicans-are-finding-it-hard-to-play-defense/

The assumption here is that the Republican party has had the easy job of always being on the attack for the past 8 plus years. Now that they are the ones in the White House, Senate and the House, they are finding themselves on the defensive about several issues and are scrambling to figure out how to handle it. So far all we've seen is a dizzying amount of distraction, diversion and whole lot of whining.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Topic: Why and When Did Politically Correct Become Incorrect?
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:07:44 AM
Listening . . . wrote:
If my doctor sits me down and says, "You've had a temporary loss of vital fluid to your encephalon which will have far reaching effects including the inability to hold your saliva with complete confidence" ...I would much rather he just say I had a stroke. A patient out there cries over the insensitivity of the doctor who walks in and says "You've had a stroke" (no matter his gentle, calm delivery) simply doesn't like the truth.

This is not an example of PC. So much of the heated rhetoric against PC comes from people attaching the PC label to discourse that is something else. By far and away the bulk of the talk against PC uses examples that:

1). Are not about PC

2). Are situations in which the person complaining takes a request by a group or organization to use specific language as a direct attack on them and see it as a directive (equal to state or federal law) to do what they say.

Topic: What Chutzpah! A Disgrace! Apple Doesn't Fall Far From Tree!
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:01:36 AM
So intensely sad to see that the son is as pathetic a public figure as the father.

Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:23:49 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
progpen wrote:
Exactly. There are no Political Correctness laws telling us which words to use to not-label people.

No, but there are lots of self-appointed speech censors - and they do exist and they do listen for any mention of 'blonde', 'red-haired', 'wearing glasses', 'dark-skinned', 'oriental-looking' and will not hesitate to tell you - and everyone around within earshot of a LOUD voice - how offensive and unfeeling you are to mention such things.

I have met such people in Sussex, Scotland and Lancashire - and even more of them in Florida.

I don't doubt you Drag0, but:
I have been to 2 dozen states, Canada, Mexico, the Dominican Republic and several countries in Europe from England to Greece and have never even heard anyone say anything to anyone else about how they should or should not speak in public about other people. All that means is that I've lived a charmed life. *****EDIT- Or this could just mean that I have a bad memory.

I have, however, in my several decades of life said things that others have found offensive and they have let me know. Sometimes they were right and sometimes they were wrong, but those events happened and then we both moved on. Sometimes I learned from those events, and sometimes I hoped the other person learned something.

Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:06:25 AM
will wrote:
Edited again to add that I'm aware 'Spazzies' is an inappropriate term. I used it for ironic effect... no sign of the thought police knocking on my door yet Shhh

Exactly. There are no Political Correctness laws telling us which words to use to not-label people.

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:47:11 PM
US corporations and corporate interests enforce more restrictions on our speech than the US government.

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:13:04 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
My $0.02.

Political correctness has been driven to the point of "outlawing" the mention of certain viewpoints, with the excuse that it "offends" someone. (ALERT! It's not my job to make you comfortable. Someone should explain that to the current generation.) That's what people have come to disdain. The drilling on not mentioning anything the vocal minority has decided is not PC is simply additional steps in stripping you of your power. One topic at a time. We're forced to accept behavior we know is wrong because we are no longer allowed to say that we disagree.
You are giving up your right to your opinions and your right to express them. Very dangerous.

Hi Wilmar. PC is not about offending. PC is not about comfort. PC is not about disagreeing. It's about not doing harm. Listening... has latched onto examples that I've never even heard of (and I've worked in a wide spectrum of workplaces) and has decided that since he has seen this, it must be the law.

The only complaining I see or hear comes from those who want to paint themselves as victims because they can't verbally attack a group of people without being called out on it. No one is writing any laws that dictate that you or Listening... can't be total asshats to any random group of people. However, being an asshat to an entire group of people can and in many cases should have consequences.

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:58:10 PM
What would be an example of an intended meaning that gets softened? Political correctness is not about being nice, nor is it political. Political correctness is about social communications and how words and phrases are used to harm or deny others their social equality.

Topic: For Fair-minded readers: Were Donald Trump's offices wiretapped?
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:24:17 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Being un-politically correct is not all it is cracked up to be either, even when it does not involve libel, slander, and lies.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/03/editorial-spring-breakers-chanting-build-that-wall-in-cancun-is-unacceptable/

This is precisely why US citizens desperately need to travel, but should never be allowed to. Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.