User Name: progpen
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,224
[0.15% of all post / 2.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Canada is ready to play rough regarding tariffs.
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 4:39:15 AM
Hope123 wrote:
I have never in my entire life had as much contempt for any person as I do for this man and many of his followers.

I'm right there with you.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:05:14 AM
rBGH is indeed legal in the US, and if you look carefully you can see on some milk a statement saying that rBGH is safe and not a health risk. That just shows how entrenched Monsanto is in the US (Posilac is now owned by Eli Lily, but the entrenchment of rBGH was all Monsanto).

We only buy locally from farms that we can verify do not use any additional hormones or antibiotics. It has gotten bad enough that we cannot believe what government labels say about a product because of regulatory capture. For example the USDA has diluted the (Organic) label so much that it is damn near meaningless. This due to regulatory capture by the likes of Monsanto and Cargill.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:10:32 AM
Hope, if Canada does stop the coal going through their ports it will be a significant setback to the coal industry, but also to the current administration. My guess is that letting coal through Canadian ports will come up in the new NAFTA negotiations, now that the current administration says they want to renegotiate and not scrap NAFTA. That could be quite the bargaining chip.

So it appears that the current administration has changed their collective mind once again in mid sentence in that they are not going to "scrap NAFTA" but renegotiate. This aught to be interesting.

Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:04:06 AM
(heavy sigh)

@palapaquy. This is the Business and Finance section.

Topic: Political Narrative
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:40:57 AM
Hi Dubai. Controlling the political narrative or political discourse means to guide political discussion in a certain direction or to limit the discussion to only things you want to talk about. This us usually used as a tool to limit discussion of your embarrassing or bad situations or to focus discussion on someone else's embarrassing or bad situations.

Topic: Avoiding political harassment (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:40:49 AM
I agree with the "winglier than thou" in that it comes from every point in the spectrum.

Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:12:56 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/news/economy/trump-canada-tariffs/

Canada's Foreign Minister has responded to the 20% tariff hike imposed Monday night with a no-nonsense response. "We're nice guys: Politeness is something we believe is a national virtue, but it's not an accident that hockey is our national sport," Freeland noted.

Once again, the fights that the current administration pick will result in the US taxpayers getting screwed. "The big losers in the softwood lumber dispute are American consumers," Freeland argued. "This is going to cost middle-class Americans who want to buy a house a lot of money."

And also, the only people to come out the end of any of the current administration's tantrums are the lawyers. Freeland stopped short of saying Canada would retaliate with new tariffs against US exports to Canada. Instead, she pointed out that Canada has won every court case on lumber against the US, suggesting the tariffs would be challenged in court.

Topic: Avoiding political harassment (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:04:48 AM
Agree with Andrew about the harassment coming from the left and the right. Actually, in my case, it's from the center and the right, but the concept is the same. The blowback differs depending on what group it's coming from. Hardline Democrats have different kinds of verbal attacks than the right wing. I've sat on the boards of non-profits where disagreements were stomped down just as quickly as they came up. These were not liberals but moderates who saw liberals as just as much of a threat to their survival as they saw the conservatives.

Topic: walloping
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:15:47 AM

walloping

wal·lop·ing (wŏl′ə-pĭng) Informal
adj.
1. Very large; huge: a walloping fish.
2. Very fine; impressive: a walloping success.
adv.
Used as an intensive: a walloping huge lie.

I've not heard or used this word used this way. I have, instead used 'whopping'.

A huge whopping fish.
A huge whopping lie.
You told a whopper of a lie there, son.

Topic: No, Mr. President, You Can't Just Do What You Want - Really?
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 9:42:06 AM
Back to the O.P. The one healthy thing I see coming from this current administration is the fact that US news organizations have become actual "news organizations" again. For far too long US news agencies had become complacent and their executive leadership had become too comfortable being in bed with the Republican party. Just the fact that we are seeing this kind of reporting come from US news agencies is heartening.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.