The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: sureshot
About
User Name: sureshot
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Writing books on English Language and teaching English.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,884
[0.21% of all post / 1.87 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: An interaction
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:40:00 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Is there an interaction between warfarin and proton pump inhibitors?
Published 16th February 2017, updated 23rd October 2017

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/is-there-an-interaction-between-warfarin-and-proton-pump-inhibitors-2/

Why have they used "an" before "interaction"?

shouldn't there be "the" as it's a specific interaction between "warfarin and proton pump...?"

The use of 'an' is correct. A reader/listener is not sure which specific interaction the speaker/writer is referring to. "The" is acceptable if the noun "interaction" has been introduced in the preceding text.
Topic: would vs will
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:33:55 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
palapaguy wrote:
I think "will" is correct and should replace "would."

Thanks, palapaguy. Where I live, 'would' is almost always used.

"Would' has a variety of uses. The use of "would" is acceptable in this case. "Would" is a softer, less definite form of 'will". Note the use of "expected'. It is a clue that the writer of the statement is not so definite of the mentioned action/event.
Topic: Strive not to be
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:25:08 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Albert Einstein Quotes.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

I saw the above quote on Facebook.

Is "strive" a main verb which is followed by "infinitive"?

I don't understand the grammatical structure "to be of"?

I really don't understand "to be" and why do we need "of" after it?

Yes, "strive" is a main verb. It can be followed by "to + infinitive (be)". Some verbs are usually followed by prepositions before the object of the verb."To be" can be followed by a preposition. Here are a few examples:

- This book is of use to me. (= This book is useful to me)
- He wants to be of help to you.(= He wants to be helpful to you)

Phrases containing "to be + preposition + noun" are often merely roundabout ways of saying something that can be replaced by simpler constructions. In the original sentence "...but rather to be of value" means "be valuable/useful".

Topic: Down to
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 9:22:05 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
ePACT2 has more functionality available to users than the original ePACT system, including the ability to:

interrogate prescription data in ways not been possible before
easily create data visualisation using interactive reports and dashboards
look at high level data summaries down to individual prescription item detail
ePACT2 | NHSBSA
Please explain the grammatical form and meaning of "down" in "down to individual prescription..

In the above text, "down" is an adverb. The phrase "down to something/somebody" means "including everything or everyone, even the smallest thing or the least important person". In the given sentence, "down to individual prescription item detail" means "including the details of individual prescription items".

The meaning becomes more clear if you say "... right down to ...."

Topic: Do you need "the"?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 5:42:02 AM
robjen wrote:
(1) Thank you for taking the time to clean up my room.

(2) Thank you for taking time to clean up my room.

Do I need "the"? Thanks a lot.

Sentence 1 is correct.

It is useful to know that the phrase "taking time to do something" means "deliberately spend time doing something". This sense does not work in the given sentence.
Topic: How is the grammar in my sentence?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 5:23:31 AM
robjen wrote:
(ex) During class, John worked on and then handed in the writing assignment.

Is it grammatically correct to say "worked on and then handed in"? Thanks for your help.

-----------------------------------

John has done two actions which are in fact two sub-events of one action. The two actions have a cause and effect relationship. In my view, the use of "then" is superfluous. If at all you wish to emphasize the sequence of actions, you may like to use "thereafter" instead of "then".

A better sentence is:

- During (the)class, John worked on and (thereafter) handed in the writing assignment.

The use of phrasal verb "worked on" (= to try very hard to improve or achieve something) is correct. Similarly, the use of phrasal verb "handed in" (= to give something to someone in authority) conveys the desired sense.
Topic: Post modern literature
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:37:49 AM
Nelson Cerqueira wrote:
Drool How to define deconstruction according to Jacques Derrida.

I suggest that you should reads the contents of the following sites.

- https: //www.iep.utm.edu/derrida/
- https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jacques-Derrida

I am sure that the above sites will provide you a very useful input to your query. Jacques Derrida (1930-2004)was a French Algerian-born philosopher best known for developing a form of semiotic analysis known as deconstruction. Here is an extract from one of the sites:

Distancing himself from the various philosophical movements and traditions that preceded him on the French intellectual scene (phenomenology, existentialism, and structuralism), he (Jacques Derrida) developed a strategy called "deconstruction" in the mid 1960s. Although not purely negative, deconstruction is primarily concerned with something tantamount to a critique of the Western philosophical tradition. Deconstruction is generally presented via an analysis of specific texts. It seeks to expose, and then to subvert, the various binary oppositions that undergird our dominant ways of thinking—presence/absence, speech/writing, and so forth.

Topic: Has announced vs announced
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:45:46 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
James Sutherland has announced his resignation as Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive in another major bombshell to hit the besieged governing body since the ball-tampering fiasco.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/102392/sutherland-stands-down-as-cricket-australias-chief-executive

Please explain the use of "present perfect vs past simple" in "has announced his..."

The above sentence is correct. A few general tips are:

1. Use simple past for actions in the past at a definite time. Note that in the given sentence, there is no time reference expression like yesterday, last week etc.
2. Actions expressed by the simple past without a time expression do not normally have results in the present.
3. The present perfect tense is a sort of mixture of the present and past. It always implies a strong connection of a past action with the present. The past action has results in the present.
4. The ball-tampering fiasco is a past event. Actions that took place subsequent to this event are expressed in present perfect especially if they have an effect with the present.

Topic: Not (verb) but... = (verb) only?
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:30:57 AM
Tella wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to pinpoint whether the following formula is legit: To not (verb) but...

Example: I do not believe but the word of god = I only believe the word of god.
We do not eat but bread = we eat nothing but bread.

Et cetera...

Thank you :D

Generally, "but" is used as a conjunction. However, it can also be used a preposition to mean "apart from [= except]". Your sentences have used "but" as a preposition. I would prefer to modify your sentences and say:

- I do not believe in anything (else) but the word of god.
- We do not eat anything (else) but bread

A few more sentence that are likely to help you understand the use of "but" as a preposition are:

- There was nothing left but a few dried up sandwiches.
- My neighbour was never anything but poor.
- On some London high streets it is becoming difficult to go food shopping anywhere but Tesco.
- She was too shaken and frightened to do anything else but feel safe in the arms of her husband.
Topic: The side effects
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:06:24 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks. what do we mean by general sense and how do we know?

The phrase "general sense" is refers to a statement when you are talking about things in general. The opposite sense is conveyed when you are talking about a particular/specific thing or things. A noun is called "specific/particular" when both the writer/speaker and listener/reader know or can work it out which particular / specific thing(s),person(s) etc is/are being talked about.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.