Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,446
[0.25% of all post / 1.53 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: On the plane or in the plane?
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:46:01 AM
Aliya111 wrote:
Which is correct - on the plane or in the plane? Thanks

I presume you are talking about "plane/aircraft". In such as case "on the plane" is the usual phrase as in:

- Alison had probably been drinking on the plane and was already a bit tipsy when he alighted from the aircraft.
- Everybody on the plane died in the aircrash.

The use of "in the plane" is possible in sentences like:

- The lights in the plane went out again.
- There was a fire in the plane.

It is also possible to use "in the plane" when "plane" has a different meaning.

Topic: AS TO+INF / AS+P.P
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:13:58 AM
Yousef mohamed 3 wrote:
Help please
i can not understand the meaning of "as to + inf" in the first sentence and "as destroyed" in the second one.
i want to know if there is any rule for these structures.
1- they had lived in so respectable a manner as to engage the general good opinion of their surrounding acquaintance.
2- he left it to him on such terms as destroyed half the value of the bequest.

In the first sentence, "as to" is a contraction of "so as to". It means "in order to". The meaning of the sentence should be clear by using "in order to" instead of "as to".

In the second sentence, "as destroyed" means "in the way that it destroyed".

In my view, there is no specific rule. You will need to look up various dictionaries and read example sentences to get the essence of different shades of uses of the expression.

I hope it helps.

Topic: Is this OK?
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:37:40 PM
nightdream wrote:

I meant without using "who", using two separate sentences without joining them into one as

"Once upon a time there lived a man. He knew five languages." instead of

"Once upon a time there lived a man who knew five languages."

It seems that you wish to make a complex sentence from two small independent sentences/clauses. Your second sentence is a complex sentence. It is grammatically correct and conveys the same sense as the two simple sentences.

A learner of English is often asked to combine two simple clauses/sentences and make a complex sentence or vice versa.

I hope it helps.
Topic: The word "issue"
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:40:34 AM
KivM wrote:
What do people think is the most used definition of issue? I'm asking because it has so many different definitions and I don't know which is used the most or which is the most common. Also, do you think issue is a word commonly used or not?

Welcome to the forum.

A dictionary usually lists the meanings of a word in order of frequency of use. I don't think it is possible for me to categorize the meanings in terms of frequency of use.

Yes, "issue" is a common word. However, the use of noun "issue" (= children of one's own, offspring) seems to be least common.

I hope it helps.
Topic: He sees something very far away.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:24:22 AM
Tara2 wrote:

Sorry can you please explain why is "I can see the target away" wrong, please? Why I can't say this is correct and the meaning "from here" of "away" is used here, please?

The sentence "I can see the target away" is wrong. There are various meanings of the adverb "away". When it means "at a specified distance" you will need to specify the distance (four miles away; twenty feet away etc)or modify "away" by using words like "far; some distance; a short distance; a few feet/metres; a good distance; a little distance etc. The use of "away" by itself is incorrect to convey this sense.

Topic: I saw him at a great/considerable distance.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:04:48 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) I saw him at a great distance.

(2) I saw him at a considerable distance.

Which is correct?

I think both are grammatically possible, but I'm not sure if they sound idiomatic to native English speakers.

There is nothing idiomatic in the expression "great/considerable distance". You are right in saying that either adjective is grammatically correct. The use of "considerable/great" emphasizes that the distance is significant. It is for the speaker to decide on its correctness. You can arrive at your conclusion after reading the following sentences:

- These latest aircraft would be able to launch the missiles at a considerable distance from well-defended targets.

- The new binoculars enabled the soldier to see a considerable distance in all directions.

- Thomas thanked Neil for the considerable distance he had traveled last week to visit his ailing father.

- It was only three days and the hikers seemed to have traveled a great distance.

- My elderly mother said that there seemed a great distance between the toilet and the wash basin.

- The next petrol pump is not a great distance away; lets us continue to drive.

Topic: He sees something very far away.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:29:59 AM
Tara2 wrote:

Does "away" mean "from here" or "at a distance"?
He sees something very far away.

In your sentence "He sees something very far away", "away" is an adverb. It is used to say how far something or someone is from a place or thing. In this sentence, the reference point is the place where you are and the distance is between you and the object (= something).

So, your second meaning conveys your intended sense.
Topic: requested for
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 1:49:06 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Apart from serving meals and handling call button requests from passengers who requested for service, he added that it is a “mad rush” to clear up, pass around immigration documents and conduct in-flight sales.

Is "requested for" correct?

Thanks,

Here, "request(ed)" is a transitive verb. It is used when asking for something in a polite or formal way. The verb "request" does not normally require a preposition between it and its object since it is incorrect to consider "requested for" an idiomatic expression.However, I have seen "requested for" being used by a few writers/speakers when the intended sense is "asked for". The verb "request(ed) is usually used in expressions like "request(ed) something from somebody" and "request(ed) somebody to do something".

In my view, the natural way of improving the sentence is to say "... who asked for service ...".

I hope it helps.
Topic: an ice cream van
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 7:41:35 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
I know both are possible.
In the book they have mentioned "adjectives are describing words".
Then in example sentences the adjectives are preceded by noun.
That's it! with this simple definition, what should be the answer?
He thinks there is no adjective.
Sorry, I want to clear my doubt. I am learning so much with him

Perhaps, you could say that in some cases a noun is also used as a describing word. For example, in " ice cream van" the first attributive noun "ice cream" describes the type of "van".

I have now selected a few compound nouns from thar's post. Perhaps the following examples should help:

- a furniture shop: "furniture" describes the type of shop.
- a school uniform: "school" describes the place where the uniform is worn.
- bottled water: "Bottled" describes the place where the water is kept/stored.
- drinking water: "drinking" describes the quality of the water i.e, it is fit for drinking.

I have used the word "describe" in all the above examples because it is the word the child is most familiar with.

I hope it helps. It would be interesting to know how exactly you went about explaining the concept to your child.
Topic: There's a puppy there somewhere.
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 11:57:33 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) There's a puppy there somewhere.

(2) There's a kitten there on the table.

Question: Do these sentences sound natural to you?

To me the second sentence is not the best way to communicate. The use of "there" twice needs a review. In order of preference, I would prefer to say:

- There's a kitten on the table.
- A kitten is there on the table.

More variations are possible.