The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: sureshot
About
User Name: sureshot
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Writing books on English Language and teaching English.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,349
[0.25% of all post / 1.57 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: tell, told
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:45:18 AM
nightdream wrote:
I know that "tell" is a transitive verb and needs an object. But I don't know if "tell" needs an object if one use the verb as "order". For example:

1) - ..., - she told. (= ordered).

2) She told (= ordered): "..."

This pattern is incorrect: "..." she told.

The verb "told" requires an object and without it, the direct speech sentence is incorrect.

If you want the sense of "order" to be in the pattern, you could say:

- "..." ordered the superintendent/officer etc.
Topic: Sensing something amiss...
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:22:10 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
"Sensing something amiss, I checked the camera playback.

Shouldn't it be "Sensing something was amiss..."?

Many thanks!

In my view, the original sentence is correct. The sentence is a present participle phrase. In this sentence "amiss" is an adjective. It is not an adverb.

If you convert the present participle phrase into a clause, you would say:

- When I sensed (that) something was amiss, I checked the camera playback.

The verb "was" is required in a 'clause' construction.
Topic: from or of
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 7:14:38 AM
vipin viswanathan wrote:

The politicians seek favor from the rich.

The politicians seek favor of the rich.

Does the above two sentences mean the same?

In my view both sentences convey a similar meaning. Personally, I prefer "seek favour of". As far as I know, out of the two, "seek favour of" is more common in British English. The phrase has a sense similar to "curry favour with".
Topic: Being used
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 12:31:35 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
You might hear about immunoglobulin being used in some people with other immune (autoimmune) problems.
Immunoglobulin therapy
I am really sorry to ask again about "being" but is "being used" a present progressive passive in "being used in some people.."?

In order to understand the use, read the following sentence:

- You might hear about immunoglobulin that is being used in some people with other immune (autoimmune) problems.

A clause can be converted into a phrase starting with the present participle. A participle can often be used instead of a relative pronoun and full verb. Grammar permits not using "that is" in order to reduce a relative clause into a participle phrase.

Incidentally, the same logic applies to your other post also, where too the query is related to the use of "being".
Topic: Can the comma be removed?
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 12:16:27 AM
WeaselADAPT wrote:

Rather, this "as" (conjunction) is opening a clause, as Sureshot mentioned, and I agree with keeping the comma. However, Cambridge seems to disagree: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/as-because-or-since
the Weasel
WeaselWorks Freelance Editing

Cambridge Dictionary does not disagree. It merely shows that some writers do not use a comma.

Here are a few sentences from Oxford Dictionary (https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/as) that mention sentences with and without the comma.

- There are concerns for her as she was ill before she vanished.’
- Children's charities would like more help distributed through child benefit, as it is paid to all children through their mother.’
- I look forward to more of their efforts, as they seem to be a young company with an interesting slate of artistic foreign films.’
- 'I miss him terribly as he was also a very good friend before any sort of romantic relationship developed.’
- 'This is a hard letter to write, as I have to admit I was wrong, and I hate that.’

Topic: Can the comma be removed?
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:34:38 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Ukrainian eggs have made their way to supermarket shelves in Singapore, as the Republic continues to strive to safeguard its food supply by diversifying its sources.

Can the comma before "as" be removed?

Thanks.

It is better to retain the comma, as the ensuing part is a clause.
Topic: Is "who" missing?
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 9:19:00 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, thar.

I notice you use the pronoun "whom", whereas I use "who". Do you mean that, strictly speaking, it should be "whom"?

In formal English, whenever you have a doubt, use "who + verb", when "who" is the subject of the verb.

It is safe to follow the pattern "whom + noun + verb", if "whom" is followed by a noun. The given sentence implies "The police consider her to be his wife ...". Since, the relative pronoun "whom" stands for the object pronoun 'her', it is safe to use 'whom'.

In interrogative sentences, try answering the question by using the pronoun he/she or him/her. If you use the subject pronoun he/she, grammatically the interrogative pronoun at the start of the question is "who". If you use him/her in response to the question, the interrogative pronoun "whom" is correct.However, you will find several publishing houses using 'who' instead of 'whom'. The difference between the two is getting blurred.
Topic: saw...touch
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 12:31:40 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The 40-minute panel discussion saw PM Lee and Takehiko touch on several topics which included:

• Singapore’s low birth rates

• Singaporeans marrying later

• Singapore learning from Japan to cope with our ageing population

• China changing its trade terms with other countries

What is the explanation for "saw...touch on"? Why is "saw" followed by "touch", a present tense verb?

Thanks.

The usual expression is "see/saw somebody/something do something" as in "I saw him leave a few minutes ago". The sentence implies that the complete action/event was witnessed. It is also possible to use the expression "see somebody/something doing something" as in "The robber was seen entering the building". The sentence implies that only a part of the action was witnessed when it was going on.

In the given sentence, the panel saw the entire action. So, the pattern "saw PM Lee and Takehiko touch on (= mention) several topics ..." is correct.

If you were not to use a present tense verb (= touch), what form of verb do you have in mind?

It is useful to know that the verbs hear, see, watch, notice and similar verbs of perception can have the pattern "verb + object + infinitive (without 'to')" or "verb + object + -ing form".

I hope your query is now resolved.

Topic: in the years after
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:18:01 AM
Reiko07 wrote:

It is VERY HARD for me to understand the use of "the" in "In the years after the Civil War, Virginia was not an easy place to live". Think Think Think

Is "the" being used to indicate that "years" is qualified by "after the Civil War"?

"The" is a definite article. Its use implies that the writer/speaker expects the listener/reader to which years are being talked about. In the given context, "the years" has the same sense as "the period".
Topic: Write what you mean clearly and correctly.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:12:25 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
Are the following sentences natural?

(1) Write clearly what you mean.

(2) Write correctly what you mean.

(3) Write clearly and correctly what you mean.

Yes.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.