The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: sureshot
About
User Name: sureshot
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Writing books on English Language and teaching English.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,217
[0.23% of all post / 1.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Present continuous vs simple future
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 12:12:09 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks. What is the most natural and grammatically correct question in the above context?

Are the services running normally tomorrow?
Will the service be running normally?
Does "normally " sound natural in the above?

"Normally" is an adverb. It may be used to emphasize your question. Its use does not meaningfully alter the intended sense of your query.

- Are the services running normally tomorrow?: This question is correct and more usual.

- Will the service be running normally?:The question requires the addition of "tomorrow". The adverb answering "when" is required. It is better to say "Will the service be running normally tomorrow?"
Topic: across/ through
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 7:17:19 AM
vipin viswanathan wrote:
you must go across/ through the town to reach the destination.

which is the right choice? Some explanation too.

Across is used for 2d objects and through used when 3D objects.

In your sentence, "through" is the correct choice. "Through" is used when you are talking about going from one one side or end of something to the other. It is usually used to say "going through a town, a forest, or a crowd etc".
Topic: Present continuous vs simple future
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 6:58:05 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
https://www.wymetro.com/plan-a-journey/travel-news/bus-alerts/edsheeran/
There is a concert in Leeds on Saturday and Sunday. I am working today (Saturday) . We had an email earlier to advise staff who are working this weekend about the alternative routes. Yesterday, before getting off, I wanted to ask the bus driver if (the bus service 50) if our service was affected or not.
Which tense is more appropriate and why?
Is the service (50) affected due to the concert tomorrow or
Will the service be diverted tomorrow due to the concert?
I was not sure whether to use present continuous or simple future and also the common collocation in the given context?

Both the questions are acceptable. Present tenses are often used instead of "will + infinitive" to refer to a future event.Incidentally, your first question "Is the 50 (bus) service affected due to the concert tomorrow" is not in present continuous tense. Both the questions are in passive voice pattern.

Topic: Is the part in boldface correct?
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:58:42 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
If we did not have any emotion, we would not suffer from love or hate for someone.

Is the part in boldface correct?

Thanks.

Grammatically, it is correct. If you do not show you emotions, you are "stoic". The conditional clause means "if we were stoic, ..."
Topic: from or after
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:12:50 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
A while later, Yong and Yeo returned to the room from buying food at a nearby convenience store. Yeo fell asleep on the second bed, before Tay began to sexually assault the victim.

1. Should it be "after" instead?
2. Is the comma after "bed" needed?

Thanks.

1. "After" is the correct choice.
2. Comma is required after "bed". In its absence, the middle part will be "... bed before Tay ...".It conveys the sense "bed in front of Tay". A comma makes the sentence clear.
Topic: feel like -ing
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:08:02 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) I feel like enjoying myself.

(2) I feel like having a good time.

Are these sentences natural?

Yes. However, sentence 1 will be more meaningful, if you add something at the end of the sentence e.g. "enjoying myself in the park". The added part of the sentence should answer questions like where, how etc.
Topic: By
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 10:21:23 AM
Atatürk wrote:
Why is "by an electronic mixer" wrong?

I am not sure whether your question pertains to the choice of preposition or the use of the word "electronic". I presume that your query is related to the choice of preposition.

The preposition "with" means "using something or "by means of something". So "with an electronic mixer" means "by using an electronic mixer" or "by means of an electronic mixer".The preposition "by" is used to say what method someone uses to do something. An electronic mixer is not a method. It is an appliance. The pattern is "with + appliance" and "by + method".

If you look up the TFD, you will find the word "electronic" in many compound expressions. Some of them are: electronic computer;electronic knife; electronic voting machine; electronic typewriter;electronic product; electronic scanner; electronic keyboard and electronic calipers.

Interestingly,Wikipedia mentions that an "electronic mixer" is a device that combines two or more electrical or electronic signals into one or two composite output signals. I guess that in order to differentiate this term from that used for a kitchen appliance, the kitchen appliance is called "electric mixer/grinder".
Topic: Could vs Might
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:51:42 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

They are often used interchangeably - It might rain, it could rain. In this sort of usage, I don't think there's really any difference.

In some countries, in such sentences "might" denotes greater probability than "could".
Topic: By
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:47:22 AM

Sentence 1 is possible if it is modified as:

- I mixed the ingredients by using an electronic mixer.
Topic: dependent
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:32:30 AM
Atatürk wrote:
Thank you so much Bob.
What about this one?
How late I stay up is a function of different factors.

Perhaps BobShilling will respond later.

In my view, your sentence is grammatically correct but it is not natural.

I would prefer to say:

- How late I stay up depends on various factors.

A sentence similar to your sentence is:

- How late I stay up is a function of various factors.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.