Interests: Languages, swimming, painting
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 877
[0.09% of all post / 0.59 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: size
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 4:34:15 AM
Can one say "have/has a size of something" as well as "to be a size of something"?
Topic: the short tale-6
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:20:33 PM
I'm sorry, there is a technical mistake: the same topic has been repeated twice and I cannot delete it.

The content is here: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst194147_the-short-tale-6.aspx
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:45:44 PM
Does it sound natural? Could you inspect the tale named "The old man and the hare"?

In the earliest ancient times there lived an old man in a village and he had a few cows.
Once a mad wolf frightened the old man in the village:
- Old man, I am going to eat you up.
- Do not eat me, I will give you a cow, - the old man said and gave a calf to the mad wolf.
The next day the wolf came to the old man again:
- I am going to eat you - He said.
- Do not touch me, I will give you a cow again - He said and gave him another cow.
So the old man had no way out and suffered, he sat by his house.

Suddenly a hare running by him, asked:
- Why are you crying?
- The wolf comes to me every day and threatens to eat me up; he has been taking my cows. What will I do if the mad wolf comes again tomorrow? I am crying because I cannot do anything else. - The old man told.
The clever hare realized the old man’s grief and advised him:
- I will run, raising dust, and make the sun invisible with the dust tomorrow at dawn. If the wolf comes and threatens to eat you, tell him: “There is the khan’s brown bear is coming to catch you up”.

The next day the mad wolf came to the old man at the dawn and threatened him. Following the hare’s advice, the old man said to him:
- Wolf, there is the khan’s brown bear is coming here to catch and eat you up. He has learnt that you come to me. He is approaching and raising the dust. He is going to kill you.

The mad wolf saw the dust rising up to the sun; he believed the old man and was frightened much.
- Old man, tell the bear that I have left the area. – The mad wolf said and ran with all his swiftness faraway.
After that the wolf was not ever seen in the village. So the inhabitants of the village lived light-heartedly, happily and without grief thanks to the help of the clever hare.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:45:43 PM

Topic: the short tale-4
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:38:26 AM
Blodybeef, could you look in "the short tale-5"? http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst194105_the-short-tale-5.aspx
Topic: the short tale-1
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:53:57 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
nightdream wrote:
I'm sorry, I still can't get if "friends-animals" is a mistake or just redundant?

It's not natural wording.

I suspected that it was unnatural.

Then, if I change the placement of the words for "animal friends", will it sound better?

The fox and the wolf were animal friends.

Topic: the short tale-5
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:26:43 PM
Does it sound natural? Could you inspect the tale named "The elephant and the wolf"?

Once upon a time there were the elephant and the wolf.
Once they happened to meet in the steppe. They both were too hungry.
- Elephant, you are hungry, you ought to find food and eat - The wolf felt for him.
- What shall I do? Please, show me the way to get food, – The elephant asked the wolf.
- There is a village not far from us. We will come upon the village suddenly. You should creep up on sheep between the dwellings at night and strangle them. Let’s go together tonight, - the wolf said.

- I am afraid; I have never done such things. – The elephant said.
- Well, you choose. But you should know: if I bring a fat sheep, do not ask for it, I will not give you even a fraction of meat. It is not useful to feed a coward, - The wolf got angry.
Having thought it over a little, the elephant said:

- Are you afraid to go alone? How can I help you? I think that brave one who attacks a hundred enemies, very brave one can go alone.
- You are very cunning, my friend. But you cannot deceive me. You are stronger than I. It is necessary to carry killed sheep. Winter will come soon, it is necessary to store up food - The wolf said.
- Well, go together - The elephant agreed.
So they went together.

They approached the village on a dark night. The elephant whispered to the wolf:
- It is very dangerous. You will abandon me and run away. Let’s tie ourselves together with a rope so I can be sure of you, – he said.
The wolf agreed and they tied themselves together with a rope around their necks. When they approached the village, dogs began to bark. The elephant was frightened and ran. The wolf got tired from running for so long and began to be dragged along behind him.
- What were you afraid of? Should you be afraid of barking dogs frightened by us? - The wolf said.
The elephant did not listen to him and ran even faster. The wolf began to be strangled with the rope, his consciousness got dim.

Soon he opened his jaws and hung out his tongue. The elephant looked at him:
- You are a killer, a meat-eater! I am afraid to death and you are making fun of me and laughing at me, - he said it and kicked the wolf and he died.
Since that time the elephant does not inhabit our steppe because he was frightened too much.

Topic: the short tale-1
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:23:33 PM
I'm sorry, I still can't get if "friends-animals" is a mistake or just redundant?
Topic: the short tale-4
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:17:30 PM
Blodybeef wrote:
The story needs more context.

The wife ate all the fish, even if it meant disrespecting the Lama, that she originally thought of inviting, and humiliating her husband.

Maybe a little bit of stress on how hungry she was would have been better.

And also, I think I missed the moral of this story. Is it : You can lie your way to anything if you are cunning enough and plan ahead?

I don't see much moral in this tale, I accept it just a humorous tale.
Topic: the short tale-3
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:16:23 AM
Thanks a lot, Blodybeef. Could you look in "the short tale-4":

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst193978_the-short-tale-4.aspx

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.