Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 53
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Lying out - meaning
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:44:22 AM
Thank you both for explaining and providing the pictures! Now I get what it means.
Topic: Lying out - meaning
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:38:42 AM
This is from C.S. Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader of his The Chronicles of Narnia book series:

Up aloft, the sailors were lying out along the yard trying to get control of the sail.

What does 'lying out' mean in this case? What were the sailors doing?
Topic: Meaning: rib table manners at all
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 10:32:25 AM
Thank you, thar!
Yep, my bad: it's Clive Staples Lewis, of course)) It does seem to be an optical recognition mistake. There were other typos in the e-book I'm reading, however, it didn't occur to me that "rib table manners at all" is one of them. You always help me out here on the forum, thar, thanks a lot!
Topic: Meaning: rib table manners at all
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:00:26 PM
I'm reading Prince Caspian by C.S. Clive, and I encountered a weird phrase that got me puzzled.

Excerpt from the book:
Really good grapes, firm and tight on the outside, but bursting into cool sweetness when you put them into your mouth, were one of the things the girls had never had quite enough of before. Here, there were more than anyone could possibly want, and rib table-manners at all.

What does "rib table manners at all" mean? I don't understand the meaning of the word "rib" here.
Thank you in advance!
Topic: I don't think so
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:49:43 PM
Hmm... Thanks for pointing this out alertec. And thank you hedy mmm for clarifying it for me. Damn this Tim Burton for bad wording))) Brick wall
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:24:20 AM
Thank you, thar. I just wasn't sure at first.
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:33:57 AM
It's an excerpt from an interview of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

JD: I don't think we've ever had an argument.
TB: I don't think so. There have been differences of opinion and a different take on certain things.
JD: But even in that kind of situation, Tim just says, "Okay, do it like you want and then do it the other way."

What did Tim Burton mean when he said "I don't think so"? Did he agree or disagree that they'd never argued?
Topic: On the couch - meaning
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:56:36 AM
It's from an Amy Winehouse interview.

Hot date - what do you wear?
Sexy underwear on the couch.

What does "on the couch" mean in this case?
Topic: Is this sentence OK?
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 3:47:43 AM
BobShilling, but that's the intended meaning: they will destroy everything that they had between them AND all the hope for ever meeting again.
Topic: Is this sentence OK?
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:59:09 PM
Thank you for your comments.
I've rephrased it. Does it makes sense now?

I will destroy everything that we had between us, along with the hope - a chimerical one but still hope - that maybe someday we'll meet again.

"Glossary", so to speak
everything that we had between us — their romance;
a chimerical one but still hope — specifies the kind of hope that's slim and weak; the meaning of the phrase is that even though this hope is slim, it's still a hope.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.