Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 431
[0.05% of all post / 0.32 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Roger Stone got arrested.
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:40:15 PM
Confused about the point you're trying to make here. If it's that the Russian election interference had potentially even worse consequences than we feared, then I agree wholeheartedly!

It did, however, lead to an amusing tweet by Ted Lieu, who is smart and clever and funny. https://twitter.com/RepTedLieu/status/1090379963885338624

P.S. whatever the point you're trying to make, inflicting that large a picture of John Bolton on us is rough stuff, man. Rough stuff!

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:18:45 AM
NKM wrote:
Actually (or at least so I've read) more people voted for Clinton than for Trump; it's our quirky "Electoral College" method of weighted State-by-State voting that made him the winner of the election.

Yes. I think the point remains, though: voting can help lessen the likelihood of these irregularities and odd chances as well. There's a separate debate about how the Electoral College leaves us vulnerable to the sort of electoral manipulation it seems the Russians had a hand in (e.g. focusing on Wisconsin/Pennsylvania/Michigan) but I also think it's good that voters have a chance to change things locally or vote for their representative.

It's easy to feel helpless enough to not even vote. In non-swing states, this is especially tough. But I also think we have a choice once we realize voting does so much: give up, or say, we'd like to do more than just vote.

Topic: Does the word "multiculture" exist?
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:48:10 AM
"people from many cultures" seems better, but it's unclear. "Multicultural people" is a possibility.

The thing is that someone might be multicultural if, say, their father is French and their mother is German. So we need to differentiate between people who are multicultural (parents from different countries) and groups (people from several different countries.) While it's likely someone who enjoys working with one enjoys working with the other, it's not 100% specific.

Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:42:59 AM
Roger Stone is a bad, bad person. A cartoonishly bad person. And has been for a while. He got himself suspended from Twitter, mainly for harassing people wo brought his possible role in 2016 dirty tricks to light, but that was legal if reprehensible.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/politics/roger-stone-arrested/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2019-01-25T11:28:15

The indictment is here:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/politics/read-roger-stone-indictment-fbi/index.html

The big thing? Someone more senior directed him to do certain things. There aren't a lot of possibilities.

Topic: Lies and more lies...
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:33:59 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
towan52 wrote:

Nice to see you taking a break from raking the forests in Finland! Whistle

We've invited misters Putin and Trump to practice some raking here in the Arctic Conference, but I think they have other activities going on right now.

Maybe Trump can send over a few furloughed federal workers if they need the extra pay. Whistle Of course, they'd need to buy the plane tickets...

Topic: 90% of voters say they have or will vote in the US midterm elections
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 7:37:08 PM
Thankfully, the turnout was enough to help the US avoid disaster last Tuesday.

Felon voting rights passed by referendum in Florida. And by felon, that's not violent felons, but more like people who got caught with a bit of weed more than once.

But we still need to do so much better. I hope many of the newly registered voters continue to be engaged through 2020 and beyond. And I'm heartened by the organization I saw across the board.

@Peter O'Connor: I agree! One problem is, people like this seem so sophisticated at first. And it's true, in a way, voting only does so much. But that is because, in a healthy democracy/republic, voting is the absolute minimum.

Topic: Repulseicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 4:54:54 PM
Y111 wrote:
Does anyone still believe the debt will be paid?

Not with Republicans in charge. The US is rich enough to pay it eventually, but we do need a much better fiscal policy. Clinton reversed the Bush/Reagan deficits, and Obama managed to reduce them despite a Republican congress for 6 of his 8 years.

As for name-calling:

People who can win without it don't need it. People who can't just make themselves look worse.

This is not both-siderism.

I've found people on the left who engage aggressively in name-calling (okay, we all do it a bit, and this is a pretty emotional topic) to be as little worth spending time and energy on as people from the right. I feel the right is not as good as the left for society, but that's a separate issue. But I've had people on the left do a lot of name-calling just to get attention, and unfortunately, when they do so, they find the only way to keep getting attention is to start on name-calling at people who mostly agree with them. I've walked away or become a lurker in a few communities like that.

Topic: Is There More Violence Today or Just Better Communication?
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 4:47:18 PM
I forget who showed a graphic here that showed the incidence of war had dropped steadily in the 20th century (e.g. % of people in the world in countries affected by war, or people killed as a result of war) but because there are so many more nations and better coverage, it seems worse.

It also was easier to hide, say, the activities of the KKK in 1900--it could only be reported via word of mouth and not as easily filmed. That's not possible today.

We still have incidents like this. And it hasn't just popped up lately--for instance, Obama effigies were burned in November 2008 after he was elected.

In Chicago, there's been an uptick in reporting of police brutality--but this may just be a case of people having and being able to use video cameras. The perpetrators have been arrested more regularly now. LaQuan McDonald was shot by Jason VanDenBerg sixteen times, and it was recorded. A lot of people have lost jobs and pensions, and panels have been formed to look into the police culture of silence.

But I think it is going to have to happen much more often, too often, before people and politicians really take it seriously.

I think a lot more is being exposed, but somehow, we need to do even better, and we need to recognize that some things that are "just a joke" *should* be treated that way. That a percentage of people who say "aww, just a joke" will get serious later, and it will be ugly.

Germany has certain laws against Nazi symbology, and I think they are affected.

I can't answer for religious fighting, but it has been going on a while, and it is a lot more difficult to sweep under the carpet now.

I'd like to think, like Dr. King said, the moral arc of the universe is long and it bends towards justice. But it will have wobbles. And we are wobbling right now. People who wish to incite things have found reliable ways to fake things believably to stir others up on both sides.

Topic: What We Have Become
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:16:45 PM
Sounds like someone made a straw man and not a snowman.

Topic: Why Trump is going to lose in 2020.
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:06:59 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Thanks Andrew and Proggy,

I think Avenatti has the right idea, though. Dems need someone who is a real fighter - but classy while doing it if that is possible. It is hard to fight a street fighter con without getting down and dirty yourself. (Although I'm sure they could avoid such nasty name calling as "Pocohontas" and "horseface".) Someone who can beat Trump campaigning but then knows enough to change to governing mode would be ideal.

I like the young Kennedy - Joe is it? But I guess he is too young and inexperienced. He has been a senator and he has been taught politics from birth. This admin shows that experience is necessary if chaos is to be avoided, although T's supporters think he got a lot of what they wanted done in spite of it.

Beto O'Rourke has a lot of support on Twitter but someone was begging for more support for him saying Cruz was ahead. The video I saw of him was impressive.

Bernie has to unite his supporters with the middle or he'll split the vote again. He and Biden are rather old. Do you really think the US is ready for a woman president?

As for info I have learned about the US govt on the forum and the voter purging and smear campaigns, I am so disappointed to have the United States of America fall off the pedestal where I had placed it, not believing the opinions of others even before Trump.

What about the Republican candidate. Does the incumbent automatically get the nomination again?

Just as an aside - getting up there myself I find it hard to understand how these politicians find the stamina and interest to keep going that long after 65. The presidency - to be done correctly and taken seriously - is a young person's job. Michelle said Obama was often working into the wee hours of the morning. Most regular folks want to retire even earlier than 65 and enjoy some leisure time.

Hope,

Ugh! I let the computer eat my first response. Maybe this will be more to the point.

I agree we need Avenatti types, just not running for office. He says what needs to be said...then says what really doesn't.

Rep. Joe Kennedy seems earnest but doesn't have the gravitas of Beto O'Rourke. Cruz may've finally done himself in--or his wife may have--by complaining that they can't afford two homes on a senator's salary. O'Rourke is doing a fantastic job of GOTV. We need that!

We also need other attack dogs like Rep. Ted Lieu of California, who is great on Twitter. Brian Schatz and Mazie Hirono (junior/senior senator from Hawaii) also do great jobs of messaging. Schatz has one redirect he likes to use. This may not be a direct example, but it's what he does: "The thing about Kanye meeting Trump in the oval office is, millions of people will lose health insurance if the Republicans keep the House and Senate."

Of course, this isn't entirely logical, but it's not meant to be. It's an emotional gut-level poke to remind us to focus on what's important! Don't use up all our energy on outrage.

Sanders I think is better to GOTV too and to convince very left-wing types that a Democrat is not perfect but better than a Republican.

The Oval Office definitely aged Obama more than it should have, and same for GW Bush (who IMHO didn't work as hard but yeah I'm biased) and Clinton.

As for primaries? Usually, unless a president is doing badly, he does not get a major primary challenge. Obama and Clinton maybe weren't popular, but nobody really challenged them. Bush Jr, too. Eisenhower and Reagan also had no primary challenger and got second terms.

Bush Sr got a challenge from Pat Buchanan who got 25% of the vote, and of course Ross Perot showed up too.

Jimmy Carter had a primary challenge from Ted Kennedy, and Reagan challenged Gerald Ford with a primary. Carter and Ford both served only one term, as did Bush Sr. Lyndon Johnson stepped down rather than fight Robert Kennedy in a primary.

So just rumblings that a Flake, Graham, Kasich, Haley or even Pence (I wouldn't put it past him) will run a primary is bad news for Trump.

A primary challenger is a distraction from the president governing, and without enough support, the challenger's name may be mud in party circles for a long time. That didn't affect Ted Kennedy's prolific Senate deal making, but he was conspicuously absent from the 1984 and 1988 Democratic primaries.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.