Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 85
[0.01% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: imperceptible
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:43:49 AM
The world may indeed be considered as a vast machine,
in which the great wheels are originally set in motion by those which are very minute,
and almost imperceptible to any but the strongest eyes.

great usage quote :)
Topic: Kasha?
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:53:54 PM
it depends on what kind of diet you follow :) most Americans don't eat buckwheat groats, and i'm not sure at all about barley grits... probably most Americans don't know what kasha is...

the exception here would be Jewish cuisine, which cooks buckwheat groats as a dish by itself, or uses them in other dishes... i believe "kasha" is the Jewish word for buckwheat groats... kasha was brought here by our Jewish immigrants from central and eastern europe...

the other exception would be certain natural health food diets, such as macrobiotic, which place an emphasis on whole grains and vegetables...

years ago my wife and i were vegetarians and followed a modified macrobiotic diet... kasha was a popular winter dish for us, cooked like oatmeal or porridge, because buckwheat is heat-producing and perfect for keeping you warm against the cold winter weather :) (at that time we lived in the midwest where there's lots of snow and freezing winds in the winter)

i don't think we ever ate barley grits, though i'm pretty sure the health food stores carried them... mostly we ate beans and rice and other whole grains :) and vegetables and fruits :) very healthy :)
Topic: Biochemical activity
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:41:32 AM
Kunstniete wrote:

Btw: I worked with different cancer strains myself and don't think that this article is the answer for all cancers. It's very promising, yes. But "cancer" is not a uniformly disease, it's very various and it always matters which strain or form is targeted. That's the main reason why it's so hard to find cures for all of them, there is no single ultimate drug which cures all forms of cancer (and probably there will never be).

hi Kunstniete :)

i read the article to say it wasn't a cure for cancer, rather it was a way to stop metastasizing -- where a tumor infects the rest of the body :)

granted, different forms of cancer may not respond to the same signals to stop the metastasizing, but perhaps the same principle might apply where disease-specific chemical signals could be found to convince each specific type of tumor not to explode (which is what happens in metastasis, the tumor goes Ka-Boom and spreads death throughout the body) -- this won't stop cancer, but could limit it's devastation :)

we all wish you luck and good fortune in your scientific work against this disease :) and any other diseases you're working to cure :)

Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:19:39 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks. Which meaning of "activity" is used here as it has multiple definitions in the dictionaries?

if you're looking at this page:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/activity

then it would be the sixth definition in that first group of defnitions:

6. A physiological process: for example, respiratory activity

also check out the thesaurus entry:

http://www.freethesaurus.com/activity

the fourth item there: functioning

click on that word, functioning, and it says:

noun -- the way in which a machine or other thing performs or functions

in my own words, i'd say an activity in this context is the ongoing execution of a process involving a complex of parts and functions

for example, breathing is an activity our body does automatically, without us having to consciously direct it... it's a complex of parts and functions involving our brain, lungs, muscles (diaphragm), heart, oxygen sensors, feedback loops, blood, etc.

:)
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:10:06 AM
by the way, this finding could be huge... metastasis of a cancer tumor is often what kills you in cancer -- once cancer spreads, it can infect any part of your body, and by then it's usually too late to stop it... so this could be really really good news in the fight against cancer :)

Applause Pray

Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:56:07 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
"Nevertheless, they said the discovery contributes to a promising new focus for cancer research: disrupting the biochemical activity that prods cancer cells to spread through the body."

What is the meaning of "biochemical activity" here?

Is "biochemical" an adjective and "activity" noun?

Is "biochemical" an adjective and "activity" noun?

yes

What is the meaning of "biochemical activity" here?

biochemistry is the scientific study of the chemical substances and processes of living matter

so i assume they are referring to the organic and inorganic chemicals that cells and organs use for growth and regulating growth, such as water, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, hormones, proteins, etc.

in contrast with poisoning cancer cells with some external poison (chemotherapy or radiation), or modifying some other activity in the human body such as neural activity, electrical activity, or genetic activity (although biochemical processes can affect and modify those processes in the body)

your body is a huge chemical factory :)

Topic: Do You Know How many Types of Radiations we are Exposed to at any Given Moment?#36
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:58:33 PM

the actual link doesn't match what the text shows - click on the link and this is where it goes:

http://https//www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/students/for-educators/06.pdf

that doesn't work and gives an error - it should be:

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/students/for-educators/06.pdf

Topic: (Advanced) A word that you will NEVER use.
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:21:53 PM
TheParser wrote:

I would love to use the word myself, but I am not sure how to pronounce it, so I just say "the words at the bottom of the screen."

I understand that there are some websites that will sound out words for you, but I have trouble getting certain websites on my dial-up service.

hey hey, TheParser :) you're in luck :) this website, thefreedictionary.com, provides pronunciations along with most of the word definitions :)

just use the search box at the top of any thefreedictionary.com webpage to search for a word (like chyron), and on the defintion page most times there is a loudspeaker icon... click on that icon and it will say the word :) sometimes there are two icons, with British and American flags to give you the two different pronunciations based on which side of the Atlantic you're on :)

i sometimes use it to check out how a newscaster said a word, because they sometimes get it wrong :) lots of times people on tv mispronounce words :) i think it's a phenomenon related to the fact we're a literate society, people read a lot, and they form pronunciations in their head having never heard the correct pronunciation, and they are wrong lol :) being literate myself, i check here because who knows, i might have committed the same wrongness :) hey, sometimes my smartest friends mispronounce words for the same reason :) it just proves they're literate, well-read, and ignorant in the auditory realm :) lol

Topic: (Advanced) A word that you will NEVER use.
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:58:12 PM
i use the word chyron all the time... simply because some hosts on cable tv news shows use the word when they refer to that scrolling thingy at the bottom of the screen... and then i have to use the word when i tell friends or family about some current news story that i just saw pop up while watching the news :)

"Hey, guess what I just saw on the chyron, you know, the scrolly thingy at the bottom of the tv screen! So-and-so is gay! He just came out! Who knew!?"

(this from a real actual event recently, real name of the celebrity redacted in case any of his fans haven't heard the news yet, i don't want any of them pissed off at me :)

sometimes the chyron carries breaking news (US launches 59 cruise missiles into Syria), sometimes it's interesting stuff that's not going to make it into the regular news (Suspect under arrest in connection with the shooting deaths of three blah blah blah), and sometimes it's advertising for some other show on the same network (Tonight 7pm Geraldo interviews Jesus on the Second Coming)

when i first heard the word, i kept looking up Chiron because i didn't know how to spell it, and of course that didn't work because Chiron is a famous centaur in Greek mythology and/or a minor planet/comet in the solar system named after the centaur... i also got it confused with Charon, the boatman who ferries souls across the river Styx to Hades and/or the moon of the planet Pluto... needless to say, it took a lot of poking around on the Intertubes before i figured out how to spell the damn thing :)

Topic: The new £5 note has major grammar blunders...
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 4:41:52 PM
well, personally i prefer using a comma as Frosty indicates, but i believe the sentence is acceptable grammar in some quarters without the comma between the last two items in a list... indeed, i believe some grammarists insist it is the proper way to punctuate, always, without the final separator comma... but i believe the final list-separating comma (or its absence) plays an important role in disambiguating the meaning of the phrasing...

for example:

- She was lithe, slim, and beautiful.

- She was lithe, slim and beautiful.

the first sentence describes 3 qualities "she" has, whereas the second sentence could be the same thing, -or- it could be "slim and beautiful" are used to help refine what "lithe" means... that's why i detest the always-don't-comma rule because it makes you wonder which way you should interpret the meaning of a sentence when you encounter such usage

so i would agree about the missing comma

as for the other 2 transgressions Frosty identifies, i would disagree for the following reasons:

-- a saying or quotation on a monetary note is like a sign on a building... we usually don't put quote marks on signage... likewise, we don't put a full stop (a period to you yanks) at the end of a short quote on signage, although we do put question marks and exclamation points (? !) when they are part of the original quote or saying... also, it seems, we put all the punctuation, including the final full stop, if it's a multi-sentence quotation, that is, if it's more of a paragraph than just a short blurb

examples:

- In God we trust (on American money), not "In God we trust."

- Eureka!

- Google images of sayings on monuments and memorials

i would argue that the purpose of punctuation is to provide guide marks for interpreting the *written* expression of language, not to be a universal straitjacket applied everywhere without discernment... so, for example, quotation marks serve to "set off" quoted material in printed media from the rest of the writing... when appearing singularly on the front of a building or prominently on monetary notes and coinage, such quoted material is already "set off" and needs no further embellishment

but hey, i could be wrong :) after all, i am someone who purposefully disregards most of the formalisms of formal writing when communicating via informal mutterings or stream-of-consciousness blatherings, as i do here now :)

also, i don't use smileys or emojis when i write formally :)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.