Profile: REAL STAR
About
User Name: REAL STAR
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I take it that what all men are really after is some form or perhaps only some formula of peace.
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 8:14:01 AM
no comments
Topic: Objectivity and justice have nothing to do with one another.
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 6:06:53 AM
Daemon wrote:
Objectivity and justice have nothing to do with one another.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

I THINK WHAT U SAID WAS WRONG
IF ANYTHING HURTS YOU I APOLOGISE FOR IT
Topic: What was Peter's reason not to answer the phone?
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2015 2:38:06 AM
DavidLearn wrote:
Hello teachers,
This is a comprehension question that I did from the text. Is it correct as well as the answers? I think the conjunction 'that' is necessary in both answers. If so, why is that?
What was Peter's reason not to answer the phone?
a) Peter's reason not to answer the phone was that he was not in the mood to talk to anybody.
b) It was that Peter was not in the mood to talk to anybody.

Context:
The next day, Peter didn't get up until noon. Then he went downstairs, had his breakfast, and sat in the armchair for the rest of the day. Sheila wasn't at home, and that was very good for Peter because he didn't want to talk to her. The phone rang a few times, but he didn’t answer it. He was not in the mood to talk to anybody.

Thanks.

hmm i think its a
Topic: To endure is greater than to dare; to tire out hostile fortune; to be daunted by no difficulty; to keep heart when all have...
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2015 2:24:54 AM
Daemon wrote:
To endure is greater than to dare; to tire out hostile fortune; to be daunted by no difficulty; to keep heart when all have lost it—who can say this is not greatness?

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)

hmm agree and nice
Topic: Fiction and Italicization
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:07:27 AM
EmmaGuinness wrote:
Just wondering, in a first person fiction narrative, is it necessary to italicize the thoughts of characters?

It's not something I've been done that often, but I'm curious.

i.e. "He must be desperate, I thought, I’m not exactly date material."

^ I'm guessing that if this were to be italicized, it would only be "He must be desperate", right?

In one example I've seen, in a third person narrative is: "Pointless, he thought"

Whereas in another, it isn't done: I like buttons, so I thought, 'Hey, why not? I'll do it too'.

Just wondered what people here think as on this site, arguably it's not necessary in fiction...

You can eliminate the use of and need for italics if you’re using first-person narration or deep POV in third-person narration. Since the reader knows and feels he’s in the character’s head, there’s no need to use italics to highlight character thoughts or dialogue directed to the character from himself. (http://theeditorsblog.net/2012/02/28/inner-dialogue-writing-character-thoughts/)

I tend to use italics in memoirs for important thoughts for the sake of emphasis, though there have been instances where I've used them a lot...

hmmmmmm
Topic: It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:51:40 AM
Daemon wrote:
It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)

in this amazing world i think we have to do something
its not wrong in doing mistakes
i think mistakes makes man perfect
if the past people didnt do anything we cant enjoy our life with these technology
Topic: I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you.
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:49:45 AM
JMV wrote:
There is the corporal you and the spiritual you. They tend to bicker like jealous siblings. The conflict between flesh and spirit is a common biblical theme and is not unique to Christianity.
My advice, for what it's worth: work on the spiritual you. Many go to gyms to work out and look good on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that really needs attention.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." (I Timothy 4:8)

Ya I agree with your quote
Topic: Follow your honest convictions and be strong.
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:14:16 AM
Nice quote
But I dont think this is applicable for today
Lets try to follow this
Topic: Welcome to TheFreeDictionary Language Forums!
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 2:34:10 AM
GoldmanM wrote:
Welcome to TheFreeDictionary Language Forums! Here are a few tips to help you get started…

Firstly, we recommend that all new members review our Forum Terms and Guidelines to get an idea of what is and is not allowed on the site.

Responding to a Thread - Quick Reply vs. Add Reply
You have two options when choosing to post a response in a thread: Quick Reply and Add Reply. Quick Reply opens a basic text box at the bottom of the thread, allowing you to type a response and post it. Add Reply allows you greater control over the formatting of your post and lets you preview your post prior to finalizing it.

Starting a new Thread
To start a new thread, first open the appropriate subforum for the thread’s subject matter, then click “New Topic” and fill it out, making sure to fill in the subject line as well as the message section.

Formatting Tools
At the top of the “Post a reply” box on the “Add Reply” page, there is a row of icons. Hovering your mouse over each icon will bring up a one-word description of what that item does.

In order, they are:
Bold, Italic, Underline, Quote, Code, Insert Image, Insert Hyperlink, Left Align, Center, Right Align

You may also change your post’s font color and size, insert smileys Dancing from our smiley menu, and preview your post to see what it will look like when it is posted.

Insert Image
To insert an image into your post, copy the URL of the image from the web, paste it into your post, highlight it and then click on the icon of the mountains and sun in the row of post formatting buttons. This will enclose the image URL in the code that will allow it to view properly. It should look like this:
Code:
[img]YourPictureURL[/img]

Alternately, you may manually insert that same code if you choose.

Insert Hyperlink
Choose the text you want to be a link in your post (for example: go to this link for further information) and highlight it. Then click the hyperlink/globe and chain icon. A window will pop up. Insert the website URL you want to link to (for example: www.TheFreeDictionary.com) and then click ok. Your URL will be inserted. Note: it is sometimes helpful to copy the URL before clicking the globe and chain icon, so that you can just paste it into the box once it has popped up.

Quote Another Member
The “Quote” feature allows you to reference a specific post from earlier in a thread. To do so, simply click the “Quote” button above the post you would like to reference. This will insert the user’s comment as well as the name of the user who posted it at the top of the box in which you compose your reply.

Mark as Spam
A "Mark as Spam" button appears beside comments posted by newer members. Click this button if you see a post that is blatantly spam. Do not use this feature if you feel that a member is violating other forum guidelines. In such an event, please contact an administrator with your concerns and he/she will address the issue. If you ever see a spam post and there is no "Mark as Spam" button available or if you receive an inappropriate PM, please contact an administrator.

Private Messages (PMs)
Discussions that are not appropriate for public threads or are personal in nature can be sent via Private Message (PM) to individual users. The following icon appears beneath every post and on members’ profile pages.

Clicking it will load a PM form addressed to that user. If you would to open a blank PM form, you may do so by clicking “My Profile” and then “New Message.”

Contacting Administrators
A quick and easy way to locate an administrator on the site is to click the "Members" link to the left of the "Logout" button at the top of the forum page. This will provide you with an alphabetically organized list of users; however, simply clicking the "Rank" button will reorganize the list by rank, placing "Administration" members at the top of the list. Entering any one of their profiles and clicking the PM button will allow you to send a private message to that admin.

Editing/Deleting Posts
You may edit any of your posts in the three hours after posting it. After three hours, the “Edit” button disappears and no more modifications can be made to that specific posting. In addition, you have the ability to delete a post for 10 minutes after it has been posted. However, be advised that deleting your own posts does result in a moderate point deduction, so it is in your best interest to carefully consider the content of your posts before publishing them.

Points/Rank
When you first join the site, your rank is listed as “Newbie” and your account has 0 points. As time passes and you begin posting, both your rank and points increase, and you earn certain privileges as a result. To limit spam, new members are limited in both the number of posts and private messages they are allowed each day. As one advances in status, these limits are removed. Users receive three points for every post published on the forums. If a post is deleted for any reason, points are subtracted. The number of points deducted when deleting your own post is considerably less than when it is done by a moderator or another user marking a post as spam. In general, the number of points a user has can serve as a rough indicator of a member’s general standing on the site. (According to some early members, the points have something to do with a much-coveted toaster, but this apocryphal legend has never been substantiated. Think )

this site is really nice
but i thgink
u have to provide audio for reading full articles
it makes boring when we try to read full article
if there is audio
it would be even more better
Topic: One doesn't recognize the really important moments in one's life until it's too late.
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 2:26:28 AM
Daemon wrote:
One doesn't recognize the really important moments in one's life until it's too late.

Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

ya i agree