Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,569
[0.17% of all post / 1.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Time
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:57:13 PM
It was held at the scheduled time.
But you won't hear that very often. You more likely will hear "It started on-time."
Topic: That was the first time I have done or I have ever done, ..., I did
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:07:10 AM
"Ever" is added to the sentence in order to add emphasis.
That was the first time did this.
That was the first time I've EVER done this! This enhances the meaning to show that you consider this an important event for yourself.

Also, about the first sentence, which is perfectly fine... I want to be certain that you understand why a person would say that. The sentences are: That was wonderful. I'm never doing that again.
Read this as "That was wonderful! And I'm NEVER doing that again!" As in, even though you are glad to completed this activity, it is not something you would care to experience again.

Note that I substituted wonderful for awesome. Wilmar's Rule Nbr 2: Strike "awesome", "amazing", and "incredible" from your vocabulary.

Remember Wilmar's Rule Nbr 1: Never in your life will you say you "have got" anything -- even in contraction form. This includes "haven't got".

:-)

Topic: up to (one's) eyeballs (in something)
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:00:08 AM
up to (one's) eyeballs (in something) — Extremely busy (with something); deeply or overly involved (in something); possessing, filled up with, or overwhelmed by an excessive amount (of something).

Sometimes expressed as up to (one's) earballs.
Topic: The Australian Open
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:59:10 AM
The Australian Open is the year's first event in the Grand Slam of tennis, followed by the French Open, the United States Open, and Wimbledon. It is played on synthetic hard courts at Sydney, Australia, and Melbourne, Australia, and known officially as the Australian Championships. Tennis took root in Australia in 1880 at the Melbourne Cricket Club. The championship for men began in 1905, and the women's championship in 1922. The matches became an "open" (to both amateurs and professionals) in 1969.
Topic: My definition [of a philosopher] is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him...
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:57:28 AM
My definition [of a philosopher] is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him to earth and trying to haul him down.
Topic: Édouard Manet (1832)
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:56:49 AM
One of the foremost French artists of the 19th century, Manet is often regarded as the father of modern painting. Rebelling against the academic tradition, he developed a realist style that was one of the founding forces of Impressionism. Although his talent is recognized today, Manet was often greeted with harsh criticism during his career, including for his paintings Le déjeuner sur l'herbe—The Luncheon on the Grass—and Olympia.
Topic: Elva Zona Heaster Discovered Dead (1897)
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:56:08 AM
Shortly after marrying drifter Erasmus Shue, Heaster was found dead and was soon buried. Her mother, who suspected foul play, claimed to have had a vision in which her daughter's ghost stated that Shue had broken her neck, killing her. When the body was exhumed, an autopsy confirmed that Heaster's neck had been broken, and Shue was tried for murder.
Topic: The Predicate
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:52:42 AM
The predicate is, essentially, everything in the sentences that follows the subject. It is made up of at least one finite verb.
Topic: Swing Kids
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:52:16 AM
The Swing Kids were a group of jazz and swing music enthusiasts in Germany in the 1930s. Composed mainly of high school students, the group sought a British and American way of life in opposition to the Nazi ideology that was emerging in their country. Defining themselves by their taste in swing music—which was considered a "degenerate" Western import by the Nazis—the Swing Kids stood in contrast to the youth groups allied with the Nazi movement.
Topic: solitudinarian
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:02:56 AM
Some common errors that arise when trying to determine the appropriate preposition to use with a particular kind of verb.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.