Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,722
[0.29% of all post / 1.83 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: (to breakfast on something)
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:47:21 AM
I would like to emphasize that though the word may be correctly used in that way, it is very unusual, you most likely will never hear it used that way, and if you use it in that way, you will sound very odd.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Just sayin'.
Topic: You are welcome, anytime
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:26:39 AM
You are welcome, anytime.
Without context, this sounds more like a response to a "thank you" than anything else. Perhaps that wouldn't be the case following some other conversation or text.

It would be more common to include just a bit more to the sentence, to clarify your meaning. The following are very common.
You are welcome to visit us anytime.
You are welcome here, anytime.

And any other number of variations, including "We would love for you to visit when you're in the area." Or.... "Let's plan on visiting when you're in the area again."

Or did I miss you meaning, altogether?

Topic: get
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:24:55 AM

I'll get my suit cleaned. = I'll cause someone else to clean my suit.
... I'll make the arrangements for someone else to clean my suit. I'll take the suit to the dry cleaners and request that they clean my suit.

I'll get something done about it. = I'll cause someone to do something about it.
... I'll make arrangements for the right person to do this work -- someone who is qualified and capable. I'll contact that person and request that they add this work to their schedule.

In both instances, "I" is fully involved in driving this work to completion.

Sorry, I don't understand the "stupid" part.

Topic: Ysyakh
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:15:23 AM
This is a celebration of the midnight sun, observed in the Yakut region in the northeastern part of Russia on and around the Summer Solstice. In 1992 the Yakut Autonomous Soviet Republic became the Republic of Sakha (the Yakut people's name for themselves) within the Russian Federation. The festivities during Ysyakh include foot races, horse races, and often sled dog and reindeer races. Folk dancing and feasting—primarily on boiled beef and kumiss, or fermented mare's milk—complete the celebration, which often goes on all night.
Topic: Al Hirschfeld (1903)
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:15:06 AM
Hirschfeld was an American graphic artist and caricaturist who was famous for his witty, perceptive, and joyful caricatures of theater celebrities and other public personalities. After becoming a theater correspondent for the New York Herald Tribune, he worked for The New York Times, where many of his caricatures appeared. Hirschfeld also wrote and illustrated several books. Beginning in 1945,
Topic: It is unsafe to take your reader for more of a fool than he is.
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:14:47 AM

It is unsafe to take your reader for more of a fool than he is.
W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
Topic: Parts of Speech
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:14:00 AM
The parts of speech are the primary categories of words according to their function in a sentence. English has seven main parts of speech.
Topic: Simonetta Vespucci
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:13:42 AM
Simonetta was the Genoese wife of the Italian nobleman Marco Vespucci of Florence. Renowned as the greatest beauty of her age, she was the subject of countless portraits, including many by the Italian master Sandro Botticelli. Some claim that the goddess depicted in Botticelli's masterpiece, Birth of Venus, was modeled after Simonetta, even though she died at the age of 22—several years before it was completed.
Topic: (the) man/woman of the hour
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:13:26 AM

(the) man/woman of the hour — A person currently being celebrated, honored, or admired by others, especially for a recent victory, accomplishment, or other cause for celebration.
Topic: ascription
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:12:59 AM

Definition: (noun) Assigning some quality or character to a person or thing.
Synonyms: attribution
Usage: The ascription to me of honors I had not earned left me feeling guilty and ashamed.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.