Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,346
[0.35% of all post / 2.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: William Whiston (1667)
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:28:21 AM

Whiston was an English clergyman and mathematician. He won favor through his New Theory of the Earth and in 1701 was made deputy to Sir Isaac Newton, whom he succeeded as a professor of mathematics at Cambridge. Well known as a preacher, Whiston aroused opposition by proclaiming his opinions about early Christianity, and in 1710 he was dismissed from the university for heresy. In 1736, he caused widespread panic when he predicted that what would bring the world to its end within the year.
Topic: Using "Should"
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:27:41 AM

The modal verb "should" is used to politely express obligations or duties. It is also used to ask for or issue advice, suggestions, and recommendations; to describe an expectation; to express surprise.

Everyone should read this lesson.
Topic: Hadrian's Wall
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:26:59 AM

Stretching 73.5 mi (118.3 km), Hadrian's Wall was an ancient Roman wall built in Britain. Constructed mainly in the 2nd century CE under Emperor Hadrian, it guarded the northwestern frontier of the province from Celtic and other invaders. Fragments of the wall, 6 ft (1.8 m) high and 8 ft (2.4 m) thick, and many of its mile stations are still extant and are some of the largest and most significant remains of the Roman occupation.
Topic: all sizzle and no steak
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:25:30 AM
all sizzle and no steak — Disappointing or anticlimactic. Having an exciting, promising, important, or aggrandizing buildup that proves to be unwarranted.

One of the newer idioms. I believe.
Topic: buccaneer
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:25:00 AM
Usage: The buccaneer on the wave might relinquish his calling and become at once if he chose, a man of probity and piety on land.
Topic: Wind up
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:06:45 AM
You never really remember the beginning of a dream, do you? You always FIND YOURSELF right in the middle of what's going on."
Topic: substitution of personal pronoun for noun in a sentence
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:29:11 PM
Out-of-date or not, I believe most people will recognize immediately the meaning of sluggard. Perhaps because the same person is often called a slug, as in, "What a slug; he doesn't do anything without someone pushing him!"
Topic: is "I'm on Heathrow airport" correct ?
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:39:42 AM
"Hello, Mom? I'm AT the airport. You can come pick me up, now. Thanks."

You're AT the airport. If it is IMPORTANT to your message to indicate that you are INSIDE the building, you can say so. But you would mention the terminal, not the airport. "Hi, Mom. I'm in the south terminal. You can pick me up there; I'll be looking for you."

"Hi, Mom. Thanks for picking me up. When I go back on Saturday, I'll need to be AT the airport by 7:00AM. Can I buy you lunch?"

Topic: White House Taps
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:35:20 AM
A tap is a faucet.
Topic: SpaceX Launches and Returns a Spacecraft from Orbit (2010)
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:54:44 AM
Regardless, a waste of money -- the entire program.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.