Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 911
[0.10% of all post / 0.84 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "It's more cozy for you."
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:39:37 PM
Re: Why put on the pillowcase?
You will more commonly hear "Why are you putting the pillowcase on?" (or ...the pillowcase on the pillow?")
Topic: Get it done
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:24:10 PM
"I" is a reference to the speaker.
Topic: Grammar doubts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:23:22 PM
Indian, by chance? I think you have grammar questions, rather than doubts.
Topic: The behind
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 5:39:34 PM
It's usually worded as "he sneaked behind the rock."
Topic: At the same time putting
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:35:42 PM
I can't eat while putting things away.

I really don't know what message you are trying to convey, so the above is my best suggestion, based on the notion that you're trying to say that you are not able to do two things at one time.
Topic: I'll be honest and I'll tell you that everything
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:25:15 PM
"to be honest..." is simply an idiom. Ya gotta roll with it.
Topic: I don’t agree I stole the money.
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:42:50 PM
I did not steal the money.
Topic: original or original copy
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:16:21 PM
An original copy IS the original.

Folks usually call the document first created the original, but some will say original copy. If I run that original thru the copy machine, I end up with 2 copies (yes, I said copies) of the same thing -- the original and the duplicate of it (in terms of content). This is how the term is commonly used.

If your writing or conversation depends heavily on understand the difference, I would recommend using the terms original and duplicates. There are many times when that is very important, in that the original must be retained by a particular party, and the duplicates are marked as such and distributed or stored as required depending on the document and the circumstance.

If you are just trying to make sure that you have enough copies to distribute to everyone at the company meeting this afternoon, use whatever terms trips your trigger. But, if you want to ensure that you keep custody of the original, so that you can make additional duplicates (copies) when additional people attend, then be more specific about the words you use.

OH, and, please, in the future, include some context with your question. Asking if "word" is correct doesn't go very far in supplying a reasonably useful response.

Topic: loud and loudly
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:04:47 PM
It depends on who is speaking, doesn't it. Everyone I know would use "loudly". Thank you, very much.
Topic: article
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2018 8:16:58 PM
What BobS says is true, but most people would insert "the" into the sentence, mostly because it "rolls off the tongue" easier.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.