Profile: Wilmar (USA)
About
User Name: Wilmar (USA)
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,689
[0.38% of all post / 2.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I would have told them the truth, except they wouldn’t have believed me.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:18:30 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) I would have told them the truth, except they wouldn’t have believed me.

(3) I would have told them the truth.

I know that #1 implies that the speaker didn't tell them the truth, but I'm not sure if #3 has the same implication. Does #3 always imply that the speaker didn't tell them the truth?

It's all about context, isn't it.

In this example, Bob uses the sample sentence, but in fact, hasn't said anything to anyone -- neither told the truth nor lied.
Joe: I think Frank lied to the teachers about what happened. I'm glad they didn't ask me about it. I'm not sure what I would have told them. It's lucky for you that you were not there.
Bob: I would have told them the truth.

But without the context, AND, because the 1st sample sentence (in the first post) has already planted the notion in our heads (those of us reading this post), that the speaker DID say something, then it automatically sounds to us like the 2nd speaker "fibbed". It's all about context. You cannot write ONE sentence and expect the reader to know the whole story.
Context.
Topic: Imma or Ima or ama
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:55:52 AM
Train yourself to correctly pronounce words you intend to use, please, and don't worry about learning how to deliberately mispronounce them. "Imma" and the other alternatives are nothing more than someone's idea of how they *think those words sound to them*, mainly because native speakers are not trying to make strong distinctions between the words they are speaking.
Topic: St. Charlemagne's Day
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:51:36 AM

Charlemagne wasn't actually a saint at all; he was an emperor and the first ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, crowned in 800 by Pope Leo III. Although he was never able to read and write himself, Charlemagne, whose name means "Charles the Great," founded the University of Paris. In fact, his reign was marked by a huge cultural revival, including significant advances in scholarship, literature, and philosophy. He died on January 28, 814.
Topic: Arthur Rubinstein (1887)
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:51:10 AM

Rubinstein was a Polish-American pianist whose enormous popularity spanned many decades. He debuted in 1900 and performed with moderate success until the 1930s, when he stopped performing for five years to improve his technique and reemerged as a giant of 20th-century music, active into his 80s. In the US, he was equally noted as soloist and chamber musician. His repertoire ranged from Bach to 20th-century Spanish composers, but he was particularly noted for his interpretation.

His practice paid off.
Topic: Defining the Habitual Aspect
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:50:40 AM

Defining the Habitual Aspect
The habitual aspect, like the continuous aspect, is also a subclass of the imperfective aspect. It is used when an action occurs repetitively and (usually) predictably.

I think "habitual" is misleading.
I also like how in this post, "imperfective" is marked as either misspelled or not a valid word!
Topic: The Suez Canal
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:49:29 AM

One of the world's most heavily used shipping lanes, the Suez Canal extends 101 mi (163 km) from Port Said to the Gulf of Suez and connects the Red Sea with the Mediterranean Sea, allowing ships to sail directly between the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean. After its completion in 1869, its ownership remained in French and British hands until Egypt nationalized it in 1956, sparking an international crisis, during which it was closed for one of the two times in its history.

Need a better map with this article.
Topic: brainwave
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:48:50 AM

brainwave — A sudden idea or moment of inspiration; a brainstorm.

Never heard of this -- is it "primarily British"?
Topic: corpulent
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:48:19 AM

Definition: (adjective) Bulky of body; portly.
Synonyms: rotund
Usage: In his later years, the once-svelte cat took on a more corpulent frame as his mobility decreased.

New Year's resolution -- become less corpulent.
Topic: a few concluding remarks
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 2:30:00 PM
Remarks is a noun. Does that help?
Topic: Donna Reed (1921)
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:42:43 PM
Donna Reed.
From Iowa.