Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 371
[0.04% of all post / 0.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Oops...heh,heh,heh
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:09:03 AM
Thanks for bringing our attention to this Foundit, it very nicely illustrates how the scientific mindset is supposed to work and why this is by far the best methodology to approach any kind of challenge.

Scientists also make mistakes, they are only human after all, but when confronted with facts that contradict their earlier convictions they are willing and quick to adapt! A beautiful example of great scientific conduct and a clear example of why the scientific method is the best we got!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Will all Russians go to heaven?
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:26:27 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Heaven has nothing to do with nationality or politics.

Or reality...

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: An Open Letter to the Admin
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:03:19 AM
Agreed Bob!

I'm kinda falling for Lotje a little more everytime I see one of those dissecting posts! Very enjoyable to read!

Topic: When will Jesus come back ?
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:10:00 AM
I am not pretending Hedy, and how very 'christian' of you to seemingly take pleasure in the prospect of eternal torture for those you disagree with.

If your God were to exist and he would take disbelief as sufficient reason for eternal torture, he is a vile, petty, malevolent and evil being that does not deserve my respect or worship.

So let's rejoice in the fact its all nonsense. Feel free to join us! No torture, just beer and cookies.

Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:59:14 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not seeing the value of this analogy.

As far as I am concerned analogies can very useful as long as there are factual points on which you can demonstrate the similarities. Comparing a 'soul' to a computer program in no way helps you define what a soul is, you have still no way of demonstrating this comparison is valid.

What it comes down to in my opinion is that if the only way to explain something is by explaining something else... it's not much of an explanation.

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:24:37 AM
Y111 wrote:
You can have several operating systems running on virtual machines and exchanging information via a virtual network.

I guess this proves telepathy then, you are a goldmine for supernatural facts!

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 4:01:46 AM
Y111 wrote:
Your soul is obviously your operating system. It's not entirely software,

It's software, but not entirely software? Not the best start if this is meant to be a definition.

As far as the analogy goes, an operating system controls whatever it is operating, I'm assuming in your analogy, this is your body? We have pretty much worked out how our bodies work, no operating system is needed.

From what I remember, religion teaches that only humans have souls, right? Yet every living organism has a functioning body. Clearly an operating system is at best optional.

Y111 wrote:
but I guess it can be implemented as such and then installed on another hardware.

You are right in qualifying this as a guess, there is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. As far as guesses go, I'd wager it's probably not a correct one. How would this work exactly?

Y111 wrote:
Probably a backup copy of it is made at some point in your life (hopefully not when you are in senile decay) and stored somewhere.

Uh huh.. In 'the cloud" I presume?..

I'm aware that your post wasn't intended to actually try and define the word soul in this way, don't worry. But considering the operating system analogy seems to be a rather popular one why not comment right away?! It's a fun one.

Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 2:41:50 PM
will wrote:

If I had to describe my immortal soul I would say, with my scientific hat on, that it’s the genes that have (temporarily) hijacked the mobile lump of flesh I call my body.

A nice attempt, but this is does not really fit with how that term is used in the faith context.

Also there are some practical issues with this definition. If your soul was basically the gene-set your body carries around, then that would mean that if you were cloned your 'soul' would be the same in your clone? Not a claim I have heard from any priest or theologist before. It would also imply that identical twins are expected to have the same soul.

A soul in the religious context seems to be more related to a personality. Considering perosnality is only partly related to genetics, this definition doesn't really ooze consistency either. Take for example stroke survivors, they can display quite striking changes in personality, would this then mean that they 'swapped souls'?

Considering that the scientific side of this equation requires nothing similar to the soul I would argue that the burden of providing an adequate definition is on those who consider it a relevant factor to enter into the discussion.

will wrote:
With my more romantic hat on, I’d say my soul will live on in the memories of others and in any tangible legacy I leave behind.

A nice and comforting thought, very romantic indeed. But I'm sure you'll agree utterly pointless in scientific discourse.

Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 11:17:59 AM
To add to that, Hope, scientific fields and observations should never be regarded as singluar. By that I mean that science scetches a view of reality that is as accurate and consistent as possible and combines facts from all relevant fields and sciences. If observations from e.g. physics are inconsistent with a chemical hypothesis, this requires further studies before we can agree on a model.

Not only has long-lasting death never been demonstrated to be reversible, degradation of organic matter over time (in the natural circumstances as we have on earth) has proven to be rather inevitable.

So if Jesus has ever lived, his body no longer exists, making it impossible for it to revive.

This is where faith tends to take a huge leap, this next step is where faith completely disregards science and ensures that any further correlation or cooperation with science is made completely impossible:

Faith suggests that a being is it's soul rather than it's body, and that the soul is independent of the body. As nice and bubbly as this idea might be, noone has ever in the history of religion been able to actually define what a soul is. An amazing tactic if you want something to stay uncontested and untested.

Considering the humongous amount of time and energy that has been spent on trying to figure out everything there is to know about biological life, and considering the plethora of different ways people have tried to measure, quantify and visualize life and living organisms. Nobody has ever demonstrated anything of scientific value that would indicate there is anything even remotely like a soul that goes beyond the biological body and can be grafted into another one.

This makes the belief in ressurection (of anyone, including Jesus) utterly and completely unscientific and banally ridiculous. It requires belief in something that has never been proven to exist, despite a LOT of people looking for it in a LOT of ways. It is rather embarassing that we still have discussions on this in the year 2018.

If you consider all the facts, even in you pick and choose just the ones you like, there is only one possible conclusion: no biblical characters are coming back to life. Ever. Just won't happen. No amount of believe and wishing will change that.

Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 8:04:01 AM
Those aren't really points that are still up for debate Kirill.

You can choose to deny them all you want, it doesn't change all that much about the facts. These predictions are extrapolations from currently seen phenomena and based on the best scientific models and knowledge that we have available to us, performed by the leading scientists in the field. Not to heed these warnings is foolish, no amount of wishful thinking will change that.

The sort of naive wishfull ignorace you seem to be hell-bent on defending is exactly why the human species (and the vast majority of other species that we haven't succesfully destroyed yet) will go extinct in the cosmic equivalent of the blink of an eye. We (as a species) are too stubborn and too set in our ways to deal with these challenges. If we are to have any chance in surviving our own sabotage of this planet, we can't be stuck in a mindset like that.

Very doom and gloom, I know. But sometimes reality sucks.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.