Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 333
[0.04% of all post / 0.42 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: difference between religion and morality
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 4:11:49 AM
Which conveniently avoids addressing the challenges to your argument.

Perhaps we should leave this digression for what it is. I would, however, appreciate it if you could reply to the contents (not the perceived tone) of the post Will made on June 14th.

Would you be willing to Jacobus?

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:05:59 PM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
[
Question (just a question)- If your conclusion that there is no God is based upon current scientific knowledge, and you are aware that that scientific knowledge is subject to change, do you not then believe only by faith - as e.g. Christians do?

No, faith is believe in the absence of evidence. Quite the opposite to drawing a conclusion based on all the available data.

And yes, scientific knowledge evolves. It molds itself to fit reality and become closer and closer to the actual truth. This does not, however, mean that the big picture it describes is still merely guesswork. You can count on the vast body of knowledge that the scientific method has provided over the years without having to dive into guesswork (i.e. faith) to draw your conclusions. If that were the case noone would ever get into a car or on a plane ever.

The complete and utter lack of any evidence of a supernatural deity, even though many have really tried to prove one exists, is so overwhelming that the conclusion of it's non-existence is not a stretch. Not a guess, not faith. I'm sure you would agree if we were to name this deity Zeus or Thor? Atheists reconize that your paricular deity just adds to the long list of non-existent things.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:31:06 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Religion your beliefs about the beginnings of the universe, its purpose, man's role in it and so on.
(This even makes atheism a religion basically.)

I just wanted to correct this slight error in an otherwise very informative and interesting post.

Atheism only means the absence of believe in a god. It in no way implies how someone views the universe, it's purpose or man's role in it.

Having said that, it is true that many atheists apply a scientific mindset to topics like this. Meaning that many have a very similar view on these points. But the major and defining difference is that scientifically-inspired views are (or at least should be) subject to change. This is where it profoundly differs from religion.

I really oppose the idea that atheism is just another kind of religion, because by assiciation it either implies more credibility to religious views or diminishes the flexible nature of views based on current scientific knowledge.

The two cannot and should not be equated.

Topic: Do You Know About Single-celled Human?(21)
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:00:08 PM
The zygote is a single cell. Ashwin is correct in stating that a zygote is a 'fertilized egg cell' meaning that it is created by the merging of two gametes. A gamete is haploid, it has 1 set of chromosomes (23 in total). A zygote is diploid and has indeed 2 sets, so 46 chromosomes.

Most cells in our body are diploid. Muscle cells, liver cells, skin cells, lung cells, you name it. A diploid cell is still a single cell, zygotes are no exception.

Topic: Dear Member X: DON'T LEAVE TFD.
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:06:26 AM
Yeah I'm done with this forum, this is getting too tedious.

Bubbais!

Topic: Dear Member X: DON'T LEAVE TFD.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:58:10 AM
This passive aggressive hypocrisy is starting become hilareous though. I am wondering if this isn't just a keeppy kind of thing, endless random ramblings that eventually become sort of funny. Perhaps it's the same guy!

Topic: Do You Know about satellites?(19)
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:15:30 AM
It seems the violins they make nowadays continue to keep getting smaller and louder.

Topic: Do You Know about satellites?(19)
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:54:46 AM
No Hedy, it is not a personal attack, it an exclamation of wonder at what can only be described as a rather strange train of thought.

Topic: Do You Know About Single-celled Human?(21)
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 10:45:11 AM
A zygote is still a single cell. You are confusing cells with ploidy. As Drago also touched upon, cells generally are diploid or haploid, most cells in our body are diploid, with the exception of gametes. Cells can also be polyploid (having more than 2 of each chromosome), this is very common in intermediate stages of cell-division. We even have cells that arent ploid at all, erythrocytes (red blood cells) and thrombocytes (blood platelets) do not have a cell nucleus.

I think the phrase "every human spent about half an hour as a single cell" is a bit charged. Whereas we indeed do all start off as a single fertilized cell, I wouldn't say we are human at that point just yet. To me it would be as silly as claiming that any individual cell of your body is a human in its own respect.

Topic: On The Election of Donald Trump
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 10:56:39 AM
I'm baffled.. This guy is positively terrifying in that position.

The degree of narcisism and rudeness is much worse than I remember from earlier speeches I have seen him give.

Wow...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.