The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,604
[0.92% of all post / 5.78 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Not Russia that US Right & Left Need to Worry About
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:21:38 PM
Press being attacked is one on the list of freedoms being corroded in US and is an attack on democracy. It is your president who is extreme right stirring up the populace. And he is just starting to consolidate his power.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm1092703_press-freedom.aspx#1092703

:::::

These two statements mean exactly the same thing.

FounDit wrote: "Simply put, the government works for the citizens, not the other way around."

Quote from article: "Look at its commitment to its citizens – and how long it’s stuck to that commitment for."

Meaning Govt's commitments are to the citizens.

Not the citizens are committed to the govt. Not even in non democracies would that be true.

Your middle sentence is just saying the same thing in a different way.

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
Topic: press freedom
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:58:11 PM
FD, Your president calls the press "the enemy of the people" every other day, even coins the term "fake news" meaning anything detrimental to his clouded image, and you need proof?

The news must be suppressed in Texas - and you didn't read/understand/deny the material on above link. Your reaction to this news is why IMO you are also ignoring or denying other signs of attacks on democracy in your country. As I said - that is my opinion with which I'm sure you disagree.

The report is done by the reporters themselves "Reporters without Borders". How reporters swing either Liberal or Conservative has no bearing upon whether or not they feel safe expressing true opinions during opinion writing, or what factual news stories they choose to report. How in the US they now need to hire personal security firms to protect them and how they are more likely to be arrested while doing their job. We've all seen first hand when he deigns to speak to them how rudely he treats the press, cutting them off and saying nasty personal comments to them.

I see in the heavily redacted Mueller report that Huckabee-Sanders admitted to lying to the public during press briefings when she represents the president and says what she is told to say.

But I'll do the research so others can read the truth. I chose only two of the many articles online. The colour scale on the map is of course light to dark with darkest being the worst.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/04/18/us-slides-down-annual-press-freedom-ranking-watchdog-calling-nation-problematic?cd-origin=rss

"Never before have U.S. journalists been subjected to so many death threats or turned so often to private security firms for protection...calling out world leaders like U.S. President Donald Trump and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro for their attacks on the media...number of press freedom violations at the local level as journalists run the risk of arrest for covering protests or simply attempting to ask public officials questions," RSF reported...president's refusal to condemn the Saudi government for allegedly ordering the murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi; a number of bomb threats that targeted media outlets last year, apparently from a Trump supporter; and the physical assault of a BBC cameraman at a Trump rally where the president had slammed the media as "dishonest."  

https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Report-US-declines-again-in-press-freedom-index-13777421.php Paul Fahri WaPo

"The group cited both Trump's rhetorical hostility toward the American news media and a possibly related phenomenon - increasing threats of harm against reporters - for the nation's declining status.
Among other signs of poor press health, it cited the Trump administration's curtailment of White House briefings; the revocation of CNN reporter Jim Acosta's White House press pass; the banning of a second CNN reporter, Kaitlan Collins, from an open-media event; and the harassment of journalists at Trump's re-election rallies. Beyond this, there were bomb threats made to newsrooms; an alleged murder plot aimed at prominent media figures and Democratic politicians by a Coast Guard lieutenant; and increased security measures in newsrooms nationwide.

It noted that "hatred of the media" reached the point where a gunman killed four journalists and another employee at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis last June.

"Amid one of the American journalism community's darkest moments, President Trump continued to spout his notorious anti-press rhetoric, disparaging and attacking the media at a national level," it said. "Simultaneously, journalists across the country reported terrifying harassment and death threats, online and in person, that were particularly abusive toward women and journalists of color."

The article continues...

:::

Side comments about attacks on DOJ etc. were thrown in a way similar to how you write. And because I knew I was going to copy it for the other thread. 😀

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:01:36 PM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Hope,
your link to wvgazettemail.com doesn't work here in EU.

But have a look at Guardian's article a year or two ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/12/safe-happy-and-free-does-finland-have-all-the-answers

Thanks, JJ. A biggie for reasons why Finalnd gets things done: Talkoo means “working together, collectively, for a specific good”, she says. “Getting the harvest in, stocking wood, raising money. It’s about cooperating. Everyone together, equally.”

::

Also, here is a copy of my post on Bob Schilling's thread about press working conditions in the world - as to oppression of the media.

Many journalists have been killed - a hazardous occupation these days.

Hope wrote: Bob, here is a viable link.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/18/united-states-classed-as-problematic-place-for-journalists-to-work

It won't let me copy the map even on "Reporters Without Borders" link I found.

Canada was satisfactory at 18th for working conditions for journalists but the media I used to know is gone. It is being manipulated by Conservative US $ when Con Harper sold part of it to them just a few years ago. It has lost its bipartisanship as the journalists must write what their bosses tell them - with a bit of Liberal approval thrown in to make it look good.

It was argued in another thread that the Extreme Right is not taking over the US and yet the compromising of the press by the president IS one of the symptoms of that. And when added to the attacks on the DOJ, on the Legislature, and on different cultures, it all adds up to power being concentrated in one individual with the help of the Extreme and Regular Right.

Topic: press freedom
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:57:19 AM
Bob, here is a viable link.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/18/united-states-classed-as-problematic-place-for-journalists-to-work

It won't let me copy the map even on "Reporters Without Borders" link I found.

Canada was satisfactory at 18th for working conditions for journalists but the media I used to know is gone. It is being manipulated by Conservative US $ when Con Harper sold part of it to them. It has lost its bipartisanship as the journalists must write what their bosses tell them - with a bit of Liberal approval thrown in to make it look good.

It was argued in another thread that the Extreme Right is not taking over the US and yet the compromising of the press by the president IS one of the symptoms of that. And when added to the attacks on the DOJ, on the Legislature, and on different cultures, it all adds up to power being concentrated in one individual with the help of the Extreme and Regular Right.

Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:17:23 AM
Does happiness of citizens make a country great?

Wiki: World Happiness Reports

The Gallup World Poll questionnaire measures 14 areas within its core questions: (1) business & economic, (2) citizen engagement, (3) communications & technology, (4) diversity (social issues), (5) education & families, (6) emotions (well-being), (7) environment & energy, (8) food & shelter, (9) government and politics, (10) law & order (safety), (11) health, (12) religion and ethics, (13) transportation, and (14) work.

2019 Happiness Report: Finland is the happiest country in the world, then Denmark, Norway, Iceland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, New Zealand, Canada, Austria.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/top-10-happiest-countries-in-world-2019/

What's Finland got?

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/columnists/rick_steelhammer/rick-steelhammer-what-s-finland-got-that-we-haven-t/article_eb67b4e6-e9db-5016-8ceb-f7ed175839b3.html

Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:59:13 PM
Here's another opinion as to what makes a country great. Jan 2018

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180111-how-can-you-measure-what-makes-a-country-great

"There are some who argue the US government is less effective than ever, for example; the US public has lower levels of trust in government since almost any time since 1958. But the World Bank’s Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) show that levels of government effectiveness have remained roughly the same every year since 1996. (The measurement analyses outcomes like the condition of highways, primary school quality and the amount of red tape)...

If you’re looking for what makes a country great, it seems, don’t look at its GDP or unemployment rate. Look at its commitment to its citizens – and how long it’s stuck to that commitment for."

Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:42:44 PM
FD got me thinking about what makes a country great.

There was a time when America was great. An opinion piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/us/04iht-letter04.html

"America used to be Sweden: According to new research, the America of the Founding Fathers was “more egalitarian than anywhere else in the measurable world.”...

Equality, not just of opportunity but also of outcome, turns out to be one of the features that really did make the United States exceptional in the age when the country was born. That startling fact is worth bearing in mind as Americans struggle to figure out how to remain exceptional in an altogether more complicated era."

2012 by Chrystia Freeland for Reuters

Topic: Bloomberg Article - Investors and Climate Goals
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:02:12 PM
Assume you saw this re the UK's achievements without ruining the economy, Proggy?

Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:30:40 PM
Bob, I was replying to Progpen about the Republican Party. I mentioned re election meaning their jobs and was thinking of the legislature and public servants, not his supporters.

He is raising lots of money and the Dems are dithering amongst themselves.

I hope not but be prepared for him having another four years to establish himself as he is getting all his loyal men in place to support him. Those who don't are gone. They are not running again or he has fired them or they are in fear of his attacks, afraid that means they won't win in 2020. He has pretty much consolidated his power.

If people think he has attacked democracy now, wait till the next four years. Especially if you (general you) are not white.

He has mused about being "King for life" and apparently some Americans are quite fine with that. He also said in a debate that he might not concede if he lost the election in 2015. So I can see him not giving up power if he loses in 2020. Not easily, anyhow. You hear about dictators refusing to go all the time in banana republics but I never thought it would ever come up as a possibility in the Republic of the United States.

The times they are a-changing.

Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:55:28 PM
Gary,

JT and the words fear, intimidation, and alleged blackmail do definitely not go together.

I assume your opinion is because of SNC. People often make up their minds after listening to the one who speaks first and loudest. Her testimony was credible but other facts by calmer knowledgeable people without agendas come later, as on this and lots of other links if you research.

Trudeau is no dictator, has never used blackmail, was transparent about what happened and had only the welfare of Canadians in mind. His only mistake was in putting in as AG a rookie prosecutor who had only three years experience prosecuting drug crimes in the hopes of furthering his reconciliation agenda with the Indigenous.

Who pressured whom? In fact it was JWR who pressured Trudeau. There were five conditions - forget the other two but he was to have two good men fired, to apologize, and to assure that rhe new AG not overturn her decision or the decision of the DPP. In fact doing the very meddling as in her accusations.

So if an apology was all it took it was not a serious complaint or infraction. I'd have shuffled her right out of cabinet last September when she refused to go to Senate meetings etc.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-did-jody-wilson-raybould-understand-her-role-as-attorney-general/

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.