The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7,596
[0.86% of all post / 6.76 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Barbara Bush 1925 -2018
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:25:06 AM
I have "foot-and-mouth" disease all the time. No one's life should be judged by one moment or one statement.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Topic: Canada's Grief
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:54:32 PM
Thanks for the India photo, TMe. So sad for all those families. There is no security on this earth and life can change in an instant no matter where or who you are.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:44:29 PM
I just saw the news that a Richmond Hill, Ontario, resident has started a GoFundMe for the victims of a bus crash in India that killed school children.

Toronto Star: "Sending love and hope’: Canadians support GoFundMe for Indian bus crash that happened 3 days after Humboldt

Twenty-three children under the age of 12 died when their speeding school bus plunged off a mountainside in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh in the Himalayas, three days after the fatal bus crash in Saskatchewan.

Sakatchewan has contributed to that fund and India has contributed to the Saskatchewan one which is now over 13 million $ in ten days from global contributors.

Topic: Barbara Bush 1925 -2018
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:05:39 PM
I always admired Barbara Bush, wife of US President H.W. Bush for 73 years, and the work that she did while her husband was president, and since. Many people besides her family are tweeting and posting on Facebook the tributes she deserves. It is very nice to see comments from the Obamas saying how helpful the Bushes were while Obama was president, tributes from the Clintons, Preet Bahara, Dan Rather, and many others from both sides of the aisle.

"Bush's dedication to improving literacy rates became a hallmark of her time as first lady. In 1989, she founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which runs literacy programs for low-income families."

A true matriarch and classy woman. R.I.P. First Lady.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/barbara-bush-has-died?utm_term=.uqBPrPK9g#.uyl1M1YxB

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:08:11 PM

I just wanted to share this editorial cartoon that I love. The cartoon by Bruce MacKinnon, an award-winning cartoonist with the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Chronicle Herald, shows a hockey player dressed in the Humboldt Broncos green and gold slumped over on his skates with the word “Sask” across his back. He is supported by 10 other players dressed in red with the provinces’ short forms on their jerseys.

A week ago Friday in Saskatchewan a bus carrying the Broncos junior hockey team collided with a semi-truck killing 16 people — including 10 players between the ages of 16 and 21 and their young female athletic therapist - and injured another 13 passengers, some severely.

Every one with a hockey shirt in Canada - and that's pretty much everybody - wore their jersey to work a couple of days ago. Those who didn't have one, bought one. GoFundMe for the team was over 7 and a half million dollars, last I heard. The outpouring of grief and love throughout the whole country brought tears to the eyes of many,

Topic: DACA youth Stay or Go?
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:44:29 PM
Digression from DACA - Just under half of all immigrants in the US who are in the country illegally are Mexican nationals. Why don't we hear about the deportations of illegals from Canada, Germany, and other European or Scandinavian countries? Canadians make up over half of the overstays and overstays would be the easist to find because they have to give their personal info and American address upon entry. It certainly makes one wonder.

Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:08:14 PM
I can't say it any more plainly. Yes, all people should follow all laws. Migrants should be shown the door when they "show up" at your borders illegally.

The exception is to solve a PAST problem that is not in the same category. In the US, the age of criminal responsibility is established by state law and varies. Dreamers were children and not old enough to break the law. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, as Dreamers were not the ones who broke the law - it was their parents - you say you are not responsible for the good or bad your parents did, so neither are the Dreamers. You are punishing them for the "deeds of their fathers". And categorizing them with other migrants who did break the law.

As adults they have complied with all the existing laws as they registered for the Dreamers. The irony of your demand that they follow the law is that all they want is to be allowed to do so. Since they didn't break any laws upon arrival, in a sense they are already legal. It is just a technicality to give them the piece of green paper.

Laws are changed to accommodate certain groups every day. (One I can think of off the top is the law that ivory trophies are now being allowed into the US to accommodate certain hunters. :) http://www.businessinsider.com/elephant-trophies-to-be-allowed-back-into-the-us-2017-11 )

You also continue to ignore the good Dreamers can bring to your country when you ask why an exception should be made. It's for the good of the country as well. Throwing the baby out with the bath water after all the investments already made in them is never a good idea.

::::::

No deflection. Your questions about my views on migrants breaking laws were answered fully.

Asked - April 5, 4:57 p.m. FounDit wrote: BTW, I’m still waiting for someone to tell me why, if we are required to obey the laws of the US, these migrants (emphasis mine) who want to come here are not required to do the same, get in line and apply like everyone else.

Asked - April 6, 11:12 a.m. FounDit wrote: Hope123, So do you support the idea of them (emphasis mine = migrants) obeying the law and getting in line and applying, or not?

Answered - April 10, 6:31 p.m. Hope123 wrote: BTW - from what I gather we actually have similar views about immigration. The only leniency I think is permissible is with this special case of these Dreamers as long as there are specific regulations set up for them as a one off. Every country needs to protect its borders and illegals should be processed, deported, and made to wait their turn. All immigrants and refugees need to be thoroughly vetted, which Canada does quite well. In fact, unlike the US, Canada wisely picks and chooses the best of the wannabe immigrants - those who will contribute to our society and economy.

And - when illegals cross the border into Canada from the US, if I were doing it, I would send them back right then, instead of putting them into jail, processing them, and then giving refugee status or deporting them - all at taxpayer expense
. There is not supposed to be any refugee status when they were in the States (and vice versa) - agreed by the two countries. My sympathy gives me one concern with turning them back - when they arrive walking in winter with frost bitten limbs - again taxing our already burdened health care system with amputations etc., but to turn them back then would not be humanitarian. However, unlike my hard line, Canada's policy is to process them first

Asked again - April 14, 11:31 a.m. FounDit wrote: And why aren't these people (assume migrants) required by you to obey our laws? Are you okay with people (assume migrants) violating the immigration laws in Canada? If not, why are you okay with it here? (Rhetorical questions. I already know the answers)

Asked again. April 15, 11:08 FounDit wrote: If we are required to obey the laws of the U.S., why do you not require people (assume migrants) who show up at our borders to do the same? And if they don't follow our laws, why should exceptions be made for them when others do follow it?

Answered above - I can't say it any more plainly... I do require people who show up at the borders to obey the laws in your country as well as mine. Children cannot break laws. That's the difference you ignore.

:::

I'm not too sure what Proggy was trying to convey. BTW - thanks for the lecture on what it means to be a law abiding citizen and why laws are necessary. I'll try and remember that next time I think about breaking and entering. Whistle Whistle Whistle

Anyhow, the floor's all yours.

Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 4:59:03 PM
Willie Nelson's "Promise Land"

https://youtu.be/BfiqENNv47Q

Give us your tired and weak
And we will make them strong
Bring us your foreign songs
And we will sing along

Leave us your broken dreams
We'll give them time to mend
There's still a lot of love
Living in the Promiseland

Our dreams are made of steel
The prayer of every man
Is to know how freedom feels

There is a winding road
Across the shifting sand
And room for everyone

So they came from a distant isle
Nameless woman
Faithless child like a bad dream
Until there was no room at all
No place to run, and no place to fall

Give us our daily bread
We have no shoes to wear
No place to call our home
Only this cross to bear

We are the multitudes
Lend us a helping hand
Is there no love anymore

Our dreams are made of steel
The prayer of every man
Is to know how freedom feels

There is a winding road
Across the shifting sand
And room for everyone

Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 4:51:31 PM
FD, Sigh. As usual this is going nowhere when you either don't read, remember, or maybe just ignore what I have already said and continue to repeat your talking points. You DON'T know the answers to your rhetorical questions and you wouldn't have to ask them if you had read my previous posts when I answered the exact same questions you asked of me before. I'm not going to quote myself as proof I said it, as it's all there in the two recent threads where we've been talking about this topic. So stop accusing me of being anti law and order and whatever else YOU think I think. You are projecting what you hear on TV that other pro DACA are "supposed to be" thinking.

SO - One LAST time - I agree with you on every point of requirements on law and order blah blah blah. EXCEPT that DACA is a special case. They WERE of a different country/race but are already "yours" whether you like it or not. They are just asking to be able to obey that one last law.

FounDit wrote: In fact, I really couldn't care less whether they become citizens or not.

This is certainly not my idea of compassion. I assume your "own" young are already citizens, so the idea that giving DACA citizenship is preferential treatment is not even logical.

You asked why do I care. It's because I care about what happens to people in any country. And although it wouldn't matter to me what their nationality is as it is their Catch-22 I dislike, I must admit, after spending four winters in Mexico, the many Mexican people I met were delightful and have a special place in my heart. We even had a couple of Mexican grandkids - in name only of course, as they had the most gracious generous parents and extended family. They went way beyond knowing how to treat their tourists and became friends.

Canada has a merit based immigration system. I never ever ever ever ever ever said I want you to accept everybody that arrives at your door. That's you and Willie Nelson's idea. A lovely idea but not pragmatic these days or maybe it never was. It is a romantic idea, and if you look at the history of our countries, it was never really accepted by the general public of Americans or Canadians in either country.

Right after Trump was elected, CDN governments and companies started partnerships to help all foreign-born students/workers in the US to overcome any obstacles to coming to work here and also to bring Canadians working in Silicon Valley home.

But you missed the whole point of Canada wanting as citizens the Dreamers with their great qualifications as listed in a previous post.

It is America's loss!

Topic: Is it correct to begin a sentence with ''SO''?
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 11:31:09 PM
Joaquim Julio Silva wrote:
Thank you! I understood your explanation that it has satisfied my ignorance.
M.Silva

Applause Applause Applause

LOL. Glad you got the message. But there is no ignorance!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.