The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,920
[0.93% of all post / 5.25 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: FYI- A geopolitical earthquake has shaken US leadership in the world — Russia and China stand to ben
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:28:15 AM
Trump is one man - but he has many enablers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/14/gatekeepers-are-worst-all/?wpisrc=nl_popns&wpmm=1

We got a painful reminder on Wednesday that the ecosystem of Republican lawmakers and right-wing media, think tanks and publications has provided the comfort and security for President Trump and his worst enablers to defile the nation’s civic institutions and political norms.
“There is hardly a pretense anymore regarding what the party, and the right-wing media complex, are doing. They are driven by a single, all-consuming commitment: Defend Donald Trump at all costs,” Peter Wehner writes in the Atlantic. “That is the end they seek, and they will pursue virtually any means necessary to achieve it. This from the party that once said it stood for objective truth, for honor and integrity, and against moral relativism.” He continues, “What the Republican Party is saying and signaling isn’t simply that rationality and truth are subordinate to partisanship; it is that they have to be obliterated for the sake of partisanship and the survival of the Trump presidency.”

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Topic: FYI- A geopolitical earthquake has shaken US leadership in the world — Russia and China stand to ben
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:17:22 PM
Worth printing Tribe's whole statement from link directly above:

Harvard constitutional law professor Laurence Tribe on Thursday dumped on Donald Trump’s political allies and defenders as he dissected the latest developments in the impeachment inquiry into the president.

“I think it’s about time that people pay more attention to the Constitution and to the purposes of our democracy than to the trivial business of getting reelected,” Tribe told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews during a discussion on Trump’s pressuring of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his potential 2020 Democratic rival Joe Biden allegedly in exchange for withheld military aid.

“If your office is so important to you that you’re going to violate your oath and vote for someone who violates his oath every day and who uses the office of the presidency to enrich himself and to enhance his power, then I really think you are a pathetic excuse for a human being,” Tribe added.

Elsewhere in the discussion, Tribe explained how he believes Trump is setting precedents in the White House, and not in a good way.

“We’ve had corrupt presidents before, presidents who have trimmed the sails this way or that, but we’ve never had somebody whose whole purpose in holding that office is to enrich himself and enhance the power of his family and the wealth of his family,” he said. “This is not just a marginal violation. This is essentially an anti-president.”

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:11:56 PM
Hope123 wrote:
FYI-
I've been saying that other world leaders have been taking advantage of a weak Trump for a couple of years now. Seems maybe some journalists are starting to agree.

And it is the world economy and other countries that are suffering. (Edited - I meant as well as the tariffs affecting the US economy - and people who are paying more for products.)

How some Americans can still support him is a mystery to the rest of the Americans and the rest to the world.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/26/russia-and-china-are-challenging-us-global-leadership-under-trump.html

As the original post points out, Trump is an easy mark, maniputed by those around him who take advantage of his ignorance, including other world leaders who smirk when he's around. He impulsively makes decisions depending upon whose point of view he last heard.

So a recap:
Trump is a genius but you can't see his grades
Trump is healthy but you can't see his medical report
Trump is rich but you can't see his tax returns
Trump is innocent but you can't see the unedited transcript
Trump is honest but you can't question the White House lawyers

Better still is a recap by a well respected Harvard lawyer:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/laurence-tribe-donald-trump-defenders_us_5dce5ee2e4b029474814d0f2?ri18n=true

Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 11:25:57 AM
LD, yes you can make this stuff up. That is not what actually happened with the Bidens.

Do most people know they are merely pawns? Many don't, especially those who believe a man who lies to the American people many times - every single day.

Topic: Pardon me
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:01:05 PM
When they can't defend the present, they attack and compare the past.

It's not how many Trump has pardoned, it's who and why.

And I wish they would keep Conrad Black in the States. We don't want him here but apparently he is barred from the US unless Trump's pardon negates that.

The pardon was unusual but he is a friend of Trump - just one more corrupt man Trump hangs with.

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:33:02 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Forests are burning around the globe this year. In Russia some of the alleged "wildfires" have already been proven to have been started deliberately (by arsens). I wonder if this may be the case in other places, too.

Hi Kirill.

Reports are that some fires in Russia were started to conceal illegal logging.

There are all kinds of causes of fires, including human carelessness as well as malicious intent. Lightning, electricity lines, and so forth.

But fires intensify, and spread in hot, dry weather as "warmer temperatures make fires more likely, and burning forests release greenhouse gas pollution that makes global warming worse.

This means that overall efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and slow global warming will also help prevent forest fires. And on the other hand, working to reduce the number and severity of forest fires will also help slow climate change."

https://climateatlas.ca/forest-fires-and-climate-change

Topic: "Warning" by Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:10:40 AM
Ursus Minor wrote:
Romany wrote:
Ursus M -

Although a guess at the person's identity has been made, that was only a guess. As far as we know, their gender and identity has still not been disclosed. Seeing how few women are currently at the White House, if I had to guess I'd say the likliehood would be that it was a man.

But my guess is based on a psycholinguistic analysis.

Analysis of just this paragraph?

What difference does gender make?

Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 11:22:54 AM
Kirill, we may well be in between ice ages. But where does it say in any article about an ice age that it will happen any time soon? As in the next couple of hundred years because that is what is needed. Scientists should not keep trying to get us to pay attention by giving deadlines because the process is gradual and when the thin red line is not crossed on time, people doubt. We don't know exactly when that line will be crossed but I doubt an ice age in ten to twenty thousand years is going to cut it for life as we know it if you are counting on that.

It also does not factor in human activity.

Agree about need to lower the chemicals and toxic metals in the air so we can breathe and not absorb them into our systems for health reasons - not just in India but everywhere, but if you want to believe that excess CO2 and water in the atmosphere that natural cycles cannot handle is not a problem, be my guest.

But what is the big deal about every human being on earth doing their little bit to reduce their carbon footprint in small ways that will add up? Also some countries have already proven that government policies going green can be done without ruining the economy and jobs - in fact it actually helped. It is worth trying instead of just throwing up our hands. At the very least we'd be able to mitigate some of the problems.

Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 5:48:20 PM
Air pollutions is not the only symptom, FD. The whole world is feeling the beginnings of many negative effects already.

But yes, I get you. When you look at the emissions of developing countries versus those that have already gone through the large numbers, it does not seem fair that little Canada should be paying for carbon pollution here, which we have just started to do and people are crying blue murder, when we contribute a small amount to the total pollution of the world. And as you say the US is not like India - although in the seventies just riding in a car with the windows closed in LA the pollution made me sick to my stomach. Literally. I have not been back since so don't know how they fare today with the busiest highway in North America.

However, I digressed. Looking at a country's total carbon emissions alone doesn't tell the full story of the country's contribution to global warming.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/datablog/2009/sep/02/carbon-emissions-per-person-capita

Per capita Canada, US, Australia etc,, the developed countries, have a much higher per capita emission than developing countries so we don't get a complete pass. We can use our pocketbook to make industries manufacture less polluting products and the wraps they put them in. And individuals can do small changes that don't really inconvenience us but collectively make a difference. One or two meatless dinners, use glass instead of plastic for storage, take your own water bottle and grocery bags, insulate your home better and so forth. Better for our health too as well as for the environment.

Next car we get, if there even is one, will be electric. Not perfect but better.

Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:59:57 AM
Hi Kirill.

I don't see anywhere in the first story that that ice age you are expecting is going to happen any time soon. It is all about what MIGHT HAVE happened millions of years ago. It does not even mention that it MIGHT happen again in who knows how many millions of years later and if, if, if. Too little too late.

The article says: Their model shows how the increase in Antarctic sea ice in a colder climate could trigger a waterfall of changes that could contribute to tipping the global climate into glacial periods. So you need a colder climate to begin with for that to happen and all data today says this is the warmest year ever pretty much everywhere.

People ARE making money in the green energy field. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a good field to get into because the switchover to green IS happening. It will take time for the switch but people have stopped questioning why and the advisability of doing something and are now focused on what and how to do it. All of course except those whose businesses are dependent upon fossil fuels, because trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars have already been made in the fossil fuel industry and they don't want to lose that. That is why they have put out the anti climate propaganda for years.

The human population growth factor is an interesting concept to me at a time when they are having anti abortion protests and international conferences (to which the US sent a delegation) for the sole purpose of devising ways to get more women to become pregnant more often.

BTW - My GUESS is that FounDit's post re an ice age was tongue-in-cheek.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.