The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,269
[0.91% of all post / 6.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It's Later Than We Think
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:50:19 PM
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/environmentalists-protestors-killed-violence-global-witness-report/

PUBLISHED JULY 13, 2017
At least 200 people were murdered last year for protecting the land, water, and wildlife in their communities, including five park rangers in Africa’s Virunga National Park, which is home to some of the world’s last remaining mountain gorillas.

These rarely prosecuted murders are being documented in more countries than ever before—24 countries this year compared to 16 in 2015. Together with criminalizing and aggressively prosecuting protestors, the result is suppression of environmentalists, a new report by the nonprofit group Global Witness argues. Global Witness is a London and Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group that works on the intersection of natural resource extraction and human rights...“Our report is just the tip of the iceberg for what’s really happening,” Kyte told National Geographic. There is little data about the fate of local people trying to protect their land and water in the Middle East, Asia, eastern Europe and Africa.

Unrest in the U.S.
Criminalization and demonization of protestors is reaching new heights in the U.S., the report found. Last February at the Standing Rock Indian reservation in North Dakota protestors were attacked and injured—one woman lost her arm —by militarized police and the National Guard over construction of an oil pipeline under Lake Oahe, considered a sacred site. Some 800 people now face prosecution for protesting. (See photos of the protestors.) At the same time North Dakota politicians came close to passing a law allowing drivers to run over and kill environmental protesters without facing jail. North Carolina is about to pass a similar law. The report documents 18 states currently working on new anti-protest laws since the election of President Trump.

“While there were no murders of environmental protestors in the U.S. last year, it’s the same pattern of the state using laws to attack and silence land and water defenders,” Kyte said.

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
Topic: Need help with writing an essay
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 5:38:09 PM
Strange that two first posts would be asking for essay help. However, check this thread out. I just realized the thread on the link should probably have been in Grammar or Vocabulary instead of Knowledge and Culture.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst186018_Help-with-essay-for-my-college.aspx

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
Topic: For Hope123 (and anyone interested) - Some unusual history
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:45:29 PM
thar wrote:
-wick is an extremely common place name because in various forms it means everything from village, dwelling, to market, to harbour. So everything from Gatwick (goat farm) to Chiswick (cheese market - dairy cows in meadows along the Thames), Berwick (barley farm), to Warwick (settlement by the wier) to Prestwick (priest farm). Lerwick - (clay inlet). In several places you also have villages called Wickwick - settlement outside a village.
Also -wich - Norwich - north market town. Sandwich - sandy place.
In Dutch Wijk aan Zee - wick-on-sea
then going north you have -vik in Norse - Narvik - ship inlet. Reykjavík - smoking bay. Eoforwīċ/(Yorvik) > York.

The w is normally silent - lerrick, berrick, chizzick, worrick

But it can be pronounced, - Gatwick was not a village name - Gatwick was the landowner from way back in 1241. Maybe they call the airport Gat-wick so travellers who don't know about the silent w can pronounce it! Whistle

Strange that I knew to pronounce Warwick correctly but never thought to generalize. Probably because there was some Earl or Duke of Warwick in history that I remembered.

Topic: Help with essay for my college
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:45:53 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Juliane.

It has been many years since I had to write a paper so others on the Forum would be able to help better. Some are even writers. Since we don't do homework for posters, your title may mislead them as to what you are asking and they may not look at the thread.

I looked at the link you posted https://www.a-writer.com/blog/rhetorical-precis/ and it is not for writing an essay. When I clicked at the bottom of that link for "Essays" I found they are really a service that writes the paper for you and there were no tips on doing it yourself.

I'll see if I can find any other links for you.

Edited - this may be of a little help. https://www.fastweb.com/student-life/articles/essay-tips-7-tips-on-writing-an-effective-essay

There were others you can check too - I just typed in "writing an essay".

You already have your topic. I found that after I researched a topic, I then had ideas as to how to organize the sub topics and to decide what exactly belonged under that topic. Then I needed specific instructions as to how to do footnotes and references etc. and that depends upon your college.

Good luck.

http://nob.cs.ucdavis.edu/classes/ecs015-2007-02/paper/citations.html

Topic: soaked to the bone
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:31:24 AM
Thar,
We usually say "chilled to the bone" and "soaking wet". But apparently "soaked to the bone" is used. https://crypticrock.com/the-black-feathers-soaked-to-the-bone-album-review/

Topic: For Hope123 (and anyone interested) - Some unusual history
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:45:12 AM
Very interesting, Drago! 👍 More?

Looking for a map as location seems important to the story, I searched for only Berwick. I had never heard of that name before. However, I needed to use the whole name (on the Tweed River), because apparently there are Berwicks in Nova Scotia, Canada, in Australia, and in Pennsylvania. I would have pronounced the w without your info, Drago.

I wanted to post a map of the UK with Berwick-Upon-Tweed's location, but any I found won't let me copy. Strangely enough Whistle it is on the border between the two! 😀

A quaint little town and story!

Topic: Why Trump is going to lose in 2020.
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:50:15 AM
Thanks Andrew and Proggy,

I think Avenatti has the right idea, though. Dems need someone who is a real fighter - but classy while doing it if that is possible. It is hard to fight a street fighter con without getting down and dirty yourself. (Although I'm sure they could avoid such nasty name calling as "Pocohontas" and "horseface".) Someone who can beat Trump campaigning but then knows enough to change to governing mode would be ideal.

I like the young Kennedy - Joe is it? But I guess he is too young and inexperienced. He has been a senator and he has been taught politics from birth. This admin shows that experience is necessary if chaos is to be avoided, although T's supporters think he got a lot of what they wanted done in spite of it.

Beto O'Rourke has a lot of support on Twitter but someone was begging for more support for him saying Cruz was ahead. The video I saw of him was impressive.

Bernie has to unite his supporters with the middle or he'll split the vote again. He and Biden are rather old. Do you really think the US is ready for a woman president?

As for info I have learned about the US govt on the forum and the voter purging and smear campaigns, I am so disappointed to have the United States of America fall off the pedestal where I had placed it, not believing the opinions of others even before Trump.

What about the Republican candidate. Does the incumbent automatically get the nomination again?

Just as an aside - getting up there myself I find it hard to understand how these politicians find the stamina and interest to keep going that long after 65. The presidency - to be done correctly and taken seriously - is a young person's job. Michelle said Obama was often working into the wee hours of the morning. Most regular folks want to retire even earlier than 65 and enjoy some leisure time.

Topic: It's Later Than We Think
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:05:04 PM
Climate change is a topic that is often pushed aside in the media and forums as boring. You can't blame people for preferring more sensationalistic topics. We're all human. As well, there is a tendency to try to forget unpopular news that there is a problem that needs to be solved. So it is great to see 846 hits on what was a stalled thread. Applause Applause Applause

Cap and trade has been shown to work in many constituencies without causing that much, if any, economic hardship. In fact in some places it actually improved the economy. Coal is being phased out and green energy has created more jobs than mining. The writing is already on the wall - except in places where Conservatives have taken power as in Ontario - the new premier is going to cost us $3B over four years by cancelling signed green contracts! Who will sign a contract that govt can annul? Investment will go elsewhere as well.

But that's democracy - they chose - although many people I've talked to are regretting their desire for change - any change.

On another thread Will posted about fracking in the UK where there are protests.

But on that thread Proggy started, it is about how Scotland is going completely wind power. Applause Applause Applause

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst185995_Scottish-Power-will-become-100-wind.aspx?find=unread

Topic: vicious streak
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:44:55 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

A meaning of streak can be "an element or trace, as of some quality or characteristic". TFD

So it is a nasty quality that is usually hidden but pops to the surface at times and they do vicious or extremely violent cruel nasty things to injure someone else somehow.

Topic: James A.Michener
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:35:33 PM
I read every one of Michener's long partly historical sagas. "Hawaii" was my favourite. He was a good writer.

Welcome, Tom.

Edited - I just looked at the sub forum. This thread should be in a more appropriate sub forum than Grammar. Perhaps the Literature sub forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.