User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,007
[0.63% of all post / 7.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Advanced learners: Did someone insult you?
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:29:22 PM
tunaafi wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
So I decided I AM "nice" and do not "need to be put in my place".

If I were not so unctuously humble and grovellingly respectful of the aromatic and divine fairer sex, I might timidly (and with the greatest of respect) suggest that all women, in the deepest recesses of their hearts, yearn for a return to the wonderful times when their proper role in life was suitably respected. How many suffering women these days, I wonder, battered by the liberal-leftie tyranny, secretly wish to hurl back the so-called 'right to a mind of your own' and don the hallowed apron of the divine wife and mother?

Try not to give in to the bullies, Hope. We understand your repressed urge to recapture your rightful realm - the kitchen, nursery and bedroom. Let these be your slogans:

Lie back for your rights! Cook for contentment! Suckle for success! Sew for sanity! Stand by/Lie under/lie for/kowtow to your man!.

That's funny, Tuna!

But how can women get back what they never gave up?

You DO know what my 'in joke' for one person was about? (And it seemed like a good idea at the time. 🗯) Edited. Again.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
Topic: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:50:05 PM
A little different viewpoint about "The Glorious Dead" by Tony Jolley. Does he have a point?

The cenotaph sighs
Under weight of the words:
A marble-white marker
Bridging two worlds.

To the Living, still searching
For meaning in mourning,
It’s the solace and strength
To survive through ‘til morning.
Finding glory in death
Not some future foregone
But a timeless, selfless triumph
Over power of gun.

But for the Lost it was nothing but slaughter:
Meat and blood upon the block,
Murdered to Hell or to Heaven
With the rest of that pitiful flock.

The cenotaph cries,
Tries to make itself transparent
So the Living will learn from the Lost, at last,
The lesson all too apparent,

That our glory lies only in life as it’s lived -
Never in death and the dying.

The cenotaph knows the truth:
Its very own legend is lying.

..... ‘The Glorious Dead’ is the most prominent phrase emblazoned upon the London Cenotaph.....

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
Topic: McCain is a maccain. What could we expect?
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:39:28 PM
Now there's a good time to use the word patriot, Progpen! A prisoner of war who loves his country enough to stick his neck out to call T on some of his policies even when he is a Republican as well.

Topic: In the News - Should They Continue?
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:33:17 PM
Digression - Bernie's on a roll -

One thing I did notice - only one woman and she's at the bottom of the list.

Topic: In the News - Should They Continue?
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:24:02 PM
Thanks, Towan and Orson and Progpen for taking the time to post your views.

By doing any good, I meant have any effect upon policy change by those in power or even acknowledgment that there is disagreement.

In fact, Republican lawmakers in ten states have Proposed Legislation that would make it easier to criminalize Peaceful Protest. In North Dakota, for instance, Republicans introduced a bill last week that would allow motorists to run over and kill any protester obstructing a highway as long as a driver did it accidentally. Yeah right. That would work. There would be all kinds of "accidents".
:::
When I send a letter to my government with my protests or even while giving advice such as "here's what my Conservative friends are complaining about so if you want to stay in power Liberal Prime Minister, you'd better listen - I get a polite form letter back that they will take my views into consideration. Then they do what they were going to do anyhow, so it seems. At least our Prime Minister has had the cojones to apologize twice now when he was wrong, so that is something.

I read once that entertainment industries regard one letter as being equal to 1000 as 999 did not bother to write. But that does not seem to hold sway any more when millions are marching and nobody in the current administration in power says anything to even try to appease them. They are just ignored and so will keep doing it as it makes them feel as if they are doing something instead of sitting twiddling their thumbs helplessly - while the number of billionaires in the US in 15 years goes from 51 to 540 and the rest can only dream.

I know the opposition is doing their best but they are in opposition.

Bernie Sanders on Facebook -

"This is how cowardly bullies operate. They take campaign contributions from the wealthy and the powerful, and then beat up on the children, the elderly, the sick and the poor. Not only will Republicans push cuts to school lunch programs, they will go after the Legal Services Corporation, affordable housing, food stamps, Pell grants and any federal program that protects those in need. And then they will reward their campaign benefactors with hundreds of billions in tax breaks."

The costs of security for three White Houses, an adult Presidential family that toodles off on business, and Air Force One to Fl every weekend, plus policing of all these protests is becoming astronomical. And it is all being paid by the taxpayer.

Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:14:18 PM
dave argo wrote:
TheParser wrote: "But did you think of a perfect reply later?".... "l'esprit d'escalier" translates as "staircase wit."
The perfect explanation for the French expression is that such altercations usually take place while one is climbing and the other descending
in the staircase. Worse than being taken aback and lost for words is the clumsy riposte.

While on a trip to another European country, I seem to remember a late retort being cleverly compared with a delayed fall of a coin
in the public phone, the click that took too long to connect.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. The term makes sense now as I can picture two on the escalator! Or stairs.

Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:25:55 PM
Gosh, I can only think of about ten times that someone has tried to insult me here on the Forum. I will have to try harder! Whistle Whistle Whistle

It took a while but I decided it can only be an insult if you take it that way - and have learned to toughen up my skin. (Not promising anything, though. Whistle I might still reply, perhaps using humor.) The wisdom is prevailing that says considering the source of ANY news is helpful.

So I decided I AM "nice" and do not "need to be put in my place". Angel (Newbies - this is an "in" joke.)

Topic: the Ontario Lake
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:56:35 PM
Xap, It IS the oldest business with an interesting history. It was founded in another time in another country.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/about/hbc_history.html

"The HBC was founded on 2 May 1670 when King Charles granted a charter to his cousin Prince Rupert and his associates. The charter created the HBC as a corporate entity...The fur trade was its chief focus at first." I have not heard the term "Prince Rupert's Land" in a long time.

It is hard to tell who took over whom these days in this company. They are expanding world wide.

They are being boycotted right now by some Canadians, and their management has said they will let their customers decide whether or not they should carry Ivanka's clothing line. I've never looked at the line so I have no idea what it features. Probably too expensive for me, anyhow.

We have two Bays in Burlington. The one buyer does a better job for the ladies' clothing department than the other does, so that's why I never shop in the clothing section in the one mall where Ivanka's line is featured. I always go to the other mall for clothing. But we use both stores for other purchases. They have reasonably good quality merchandise and a lot of good sales.

And doesn't or didn't Winnipeg (or another western city, maybe Edmonton?) have dibs on the largest mall in Canada? Or maybe it was the largest store? I can't remember the details. It was a while ago.

Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:16:50 AM
I wouldn't try to change the rules. One has to know the rules before one can change them. I would call the lakes by their proper names with no article. Their names are Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, but Crater Lake and Hudson's Bay (after a man named Henry Hudson. We even have a large department store chain called Hudson's Bay Co. or now just The Bay. it is now unfortunately owned by an American company after being our iconic Canadian company for many years.) Who knows why the difference in order. My guess is that Lake Ontario is only one of a list in the Great Lakes.

In the ad it actually should have read an Ontario lake with no capital because there are many lakes in Ontario. I gave the author the benefit of the doubt because it was a title and an ad, and he was possibly trying to make that lake more important. As Thar says, it may be used as an attributive noun. Maybe he also does ads for other provincial lakes. The Ontario lake as opposed to the Manitoba lake.

It worked? You noticed the ad

Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:15:23 AM
If you are calling it by its name, it is Lake Ontario. But the opposite is not wrong when it is a matter of stress. We often put words in a different order than normal to empahsize or stress something. Perhaps the author thought it makes the ad or the lake stand out a bit.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.