The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,782
[0.92% of all post / 5.44 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Birthright citizenship - Yrump strikes again
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:26:50 PM
I agree, L.Rai. Change the rules.

It also bugs me when people meet all the rules to become a Canadian citizen but have no intention of living in Canada. They go back to their real home to live after attaining CDN citizenship. But then if anything happens where they are living they expect Canada to send planes to rescue them. This has happened and they bitched that Canada was not fast enough to suit them.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Topic: Trump confirms he is considering attempt to buy Greenland
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:12:41 AM
Agreed, Bob.

There is really no need to mock when all you have to do is tell the truth about Trump. When the leader of another country drastically and negatively affects his own country, your country, indeed the whole world, with his policies, then there is no reason that criticism by other countries needs to be curtailed.

Trump can dish it out nastily on a daily basis on Twitter and in his rude interactions with the media, stooping so low as to mock a disabled person. He is especially nasty with women and women of colour. But just let a woman leader say his Greenland idea was absurd (it wasn't even that much of an attack and she attacked the idea not the person) and his ego can't handle it. He then vindictively started his Twitter attacks on Denmark.

Pompeo had to go smooth things over. With all his money and power Trump is still an angry unhappy man - one to actually be pitied.

Edited with an after thought: How sad it is for others to see that Trump supporters, some in denial about what is actually happening, while believing that scientists, scholars, teachers, economists, and journalists have devoted their entire lives to deceiving them, also believe that a reality TV player with decades of fraud and documented lying is their only beacon of truth and honesty. People who are willing to overlook Trump's obvious racism and misogyny in order to get something they want that they feel Trump can give them, and Trump himself, do not deserve any respect. People from other countries respect the office of POTUS but the person in the office has to earn the respect. Trump has not done so - in fact it is the opposite as they mention him shaking their heads or laughing.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Topic: Birthright citizenship - Yrump strikes again
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:55:41 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/birth-tourism-brings-russian-baby-boom-miami-n836121

Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:36:25 PM
towan52 wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
towan52 wrote:
David Brooks, a columnist for The New York Times said two or three weeks ago that Trump is totally incapable of feeling empathy with any other person or group of people -

I think this is probably true of many ambitious politicians - and lawyers.

You missed out auditors! Whistle

Now, now, Towan. Whistle

Topic: Don’t joke with me ~ Are you serious?? Don’t mess with me
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:33:33 PM
Hi Onsen,

No, the joking statement is fine but I don't really think it would be phrased quite that way. "Are you serious? Don't hand me that!" or "Really? What a joke!" There are lots of ways to say it.

The ’don't mess with me' statement would depend upon context and situation. It could be said in a lighthearted way or you might mean it if someone is accosting you.

Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:02:44 AM
And now Trump pouts. No trip. Disrespectful all round.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49416740

But while Greenland might be rich in minerals, it currently relies on Denmark for two thirds of its budget revenue. It has high rates of suicide, alcoholism and unemployment.

Topic: What kind of overalls are these?
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:37:36 PM
Hi Vkhu.

I suppose they could wear both types.

Having them colour coded reminds me of Gilead in Margaret Atwood's book "The Handmaid's Tale" where the women are made to wear colour coded clothing of various types according to the women's usages by men.

However, all the passages you describe point to bib overalls. The bib in front can come up higher for females. Children can wear them without shirts underneath. The pants can be long or they can also be shorts. The other photo in Canada would be a jumpsuit or I suppose coveralls. Not sure exactly what dungarees are in Canada. I think they are shorts and may even be a brand name. Not sure. There is actually a band called "The Dungarees" from Alberta, Canada.

https://www.ae.com/us/en/c/women/bottoms/overalls/cat8350053

Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:26:02 AM
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/a-modest-proposal-for-the-trump-administration-to-buy-canada

Forget Greenland - Trump should buy Canada. Written from the usual American perspective. (Trivia- National Post in Canada is pro Conservative)

As a CDN - US has been trying to usurp Canada in various ways for years. But who would want to be American these days? Rhetorical question in Canada.

Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:12:38 AM
US tried to buy Greenland n 1947 for strategic military purposes. With Arctic ice melting now it may become an important area.

https://time.com/5653894/trump-greenland-history/

The strategic concerns mentioned in the 1947 TIME article might not be too distant from those on Trump’s mind. But there is one important exception: today, as sea ice recedes thanks to global warming, the once-icebound Arctic is rapidly emerging as a potential new sea route for trade vessels and warships.

There is a concentric circle map to explain the ideas.

Topic: Reaching Critical Mass on Mass Shootings - "The Lancet"
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:25:12 PM
"Reaching Critical Mass on Mass Shootings" - "The Lancet"

This article in the medical journal "The Lancet" is mainly about the US but I think it can apply to other countries as well.

A lot of Canada's major city shootings are because of crime, even organized crime (yesterday), and because of disenfranchised youth into gangs and drugs.

Canada has stringent gun laws that have worked for years but recently gun related deaths and shootings are increasing so that doctors and urban people are calling for a complete ban of handguns and rifles. The Conservatives wish to weaken the laws while the Liberals are struggling with what to do to help while not disenfranchising legitimate legal owners who are the most examined people in all of Canada.

The federal Liberal government has increased money for border patrol to lessen smuggling from the US and recently advanced money for community centres in Ontario when the provincial government (Conservative the past year) in all their wisdom cut those funds as well as cutting most social programs designed to help the less advantaged. The federal Liberals will probably ban assault rifles if elected in October while the federal Conservatives have already promised to allow more varieties of assault rifles (while hypocritically demanding banning abortion to save "lives").

The article mentions that in the US the turning of the talk is to racism and misogyny and mental illness is by design to distract from the real main reason:
Systemic cultural issues that produce such problems as Males who are Incels. It explains fully in the article.

And although Canada and other countries with gun problems do not have a "weaponized" Second Amendment" to deal with as they do in the US, perhaps they might find this article interesting.

As for me, I think Canada's gun laws are already strict enough on legal owners and the emphasis should be on social measures.

The article mentions it is not just lives lost and ruined but the shootings have financial and other considerations as well.

Gun-related deaths in the USA (nearly 40 000 in 2017) carry a massive economic toll (US$229 billion, including more than $9 billion for medical and emergency care) and mass shootings contribute disproportionately to financial and social burdens.

I posted it mainly for information but anyone should feel free to comment about the points of view in the article if they wish.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.