The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,067
[0.90% of all post / 6.48 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: When will Jesus come back ?
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2018 1:02:33 PM
FounDit wrote: But you can make an attempt at not being offensive. Insults being one of the things to avoid, words like "inane" and "lazy" being two that come to mind.

Ah, so you DO/DID know exactly (what Lotje and I have complained about) what you are/were doing when you are/were using those types of words in your and my discussions and other discussions in Politics and other topics! I had begun to think you really didn't know the difference. You just outed yourself!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. - Bill Watterson
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:51:12 PM
No problem, Will. You are far more versed on this than I am and I'm here to learn. I switched from Physics to Biology in Grade 13. However, since the Milky Way, the sun, and earth are not doing anything any time soon, I am content to wait to find out whether or not the universe is stretching or expanding, just as I'll find out soon enough about gods, the return of Jesus, and any post death life - if that even makes sense. :) I'll probably find out sooner than I would like. Whistle Whistle Whistle

The article on the third link I included did mention about gravity overpowering the pull and affecting some smaller bodies (it has certainly affected mineWhistle ).It also mentioned that it is hard for humans to imagine such huge numbers and spaces, as well as how Einstein's theories about space is different to what we perceive with our senses.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. - Bill Watterson
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:18:08 PM
This post is not a comment on any previous post, but is a chapter I found value in re-reading many times and would be a good answer to the OP. Sagan was criticized for atheistic views. IMHO, the best theory about the beliefs of others is to take a laissez-faire attitude. Whatever gets one through the night is fine as a personal belief as I've said many times, but freedom of speech, except hate speech, is always supported.

Carl Sagan: The Fine art of Baloney Detection:

In the course of their training, scientists are equipped with a baloney detection kit...Knowing the existence of such logical and rhetorical fallacies rounds out our toolkit. Like all tools, the baloney detection kit can be misused, applied out of context, or even employed as a rote alternative to thinking. But applied judiciously, it can make all the difference in the world—not least in evaluating our own arguments before we present them to others.

...Gullibility kills.

http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/lehre/pmo/eng/Sagan-Baloney.pdf

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/01/03/baloney-detection-kit-carl-sagan/ - an explanatory summary.

Sagan quotes Huxley and Polybius:

T.H.Huxley: The foundation of morality is to ... give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge.

* A more cynical formulation by the Roman historian Polybius: Since the masses of the people are inconstant, full of unruly desires, passionate, and reckless of consequences, they must be filled with fears to keep them in order. The ancients did well, therefore, to invent gods, and the belief in punishment after death.
As do others today, religiously and politically.
:::::

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/104-the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang/expansion-of-the-universe/623-what-is-the-universe-expanding-into-intermediate

This article explains how a better word than expanding is stretching, like raisins in rising dough. Read, if interested, the answer to the boundary question and why scientists go with Will's explanations.

Topic: Trump is Taking Children from Parents Who Are Asylum Seekers
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 12:33:35 PM
Tweet today by Michael Avenatti giving credit where it is due, as he did to the New Sanctuary NYC:

The Consulate of Guatemala in Houston, Texas should be applauded for their tremendous efforts in assisting us in reuniting Guatemalan children with their parents. Mr. Ricardo Maldonado (Consul General) & Ms. Dora Olmedo (Vice Consul) have gone above and beyond for these children.

Topic: Do You know About Harmful affects of Marijuana?(24)
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:29:38 PM
Overdoses happen when:

People are foolish enough to self medicate. Why do they?
Drugs are not legal and controlled.

Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:59:12 AM
Trump was ordered by the courts to clean up the mess he made at the border, But he’s too busy tweeting about Omarosa calling her a "dog" and demeaning women/minorities. He doesn’t have time to deal with unimportant issues like trying to save kids.

Michael Avenatti tweeted today: There are approx 56 Guatemalan children in Houston and McAllen (in custody) who were separated from their parents at the border. We are working on gaining their release to me so that I can fly them home ASAP to their parents. This mess needs to be cleaned-up NOW.

Yesterday Avenatti tweeted: My deepest appreciation to @NewSanctuaryNYC for stepping up to care for our refugee clients. They have taken dozens of clients under their wings, as we get them released from detention, and provide them transportation, housing, and other assistance. They are true humanitarians.

PS - One of the few things Trump got right -- he doesn't own a dog! One of the few presidents who didn't. Dogs are friends to humans so the name calling should be a compliment, but in Trump's eyes it is a slam.

Topic: PLease help, I want a tatto and I don't want to make a mistake
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:01:59 PM

Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 12:51:28 PM
Love the kitten story, Will. So apropos.

Edited - thought I should add an admonishment Whistle She/He to be equal. Whistle Whistle

Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:42:01 AM
Michael Avenatti:It ends today at 81 days for Antony and Elsa. But continues for over 500 others...

Topic: Donald and Boris
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:19:39 PM
Bob, Just a little contrast - the opposite to Trump and Boris, from the thread about separated children, and pertaining to our digression about what might energize the Left:

Good news! For one child anyhow.

Avenatti has been fighting for the "underdog" for 18 years. And it seems the press and twitter have some pull after all, even over judges?

I hope we get a pic tomorrow of Antony being reunited with his mother.

Today on Twitter:

Michael Avenatti: @ricardo_de_anda & I appeared in ct today to attempt to allow us to take our client Antony home to mom in Guatemala TODAY. The govt opposed our request - he will now have to stay perhaps another 2 mos here. He hasn’t seen his mom in 81 days. Trump and his cronies have no heart.

(Another tweeter: What judge in Houston denied this child the opportunity to be reunited with his family⁉️I thought the courts ordered the families reunited⁉️I want to know the name of the judge❗️I want to see if the judge is running for re-election❗️)

Avenatti:
I have been negotiating with the government since my stmts to the press this morning and my last tweet. It now appears that they will grant me custody and allow me to take Antony home to his mother in Guatemala on a flight tonight, after 81 days of being separated.

Avenatti later:

81 days after being forcibly separated from his mother due to the cruel and unusual president, Antony is going home to Guatemala to be reunited with his mother. Finally.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.