The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,892
[0.72% of all post / 7.38 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Seth Rich Scandal and Fox News - Article Written by a Conservative
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:46:59 PM
Andrew, thanks for the link. I did not know the ridiculous Clinton Conspiracy theory had grown to those ridiculous proportions.

There are theories about the types of personalities that buy into the claims in conspiracy theories. I had noticed years ago that Americans believe in all kinds of conspiracy theories more so than in most other countries, and that concept was reinforced after I started reading posts on TFD about many topics, not just politics.

I knew they were linking the recent Clinton campaign to Seth Rich's death, but I had no idea Fox News, and in particular Sean Hannity, had linked Hillary Clinton's name personally to Seth Rich's death until tonight. And Gingrich was repeating it, Olbermann said - this smear campaign is the same as when Newt Gingrich and Republicans tried to link her with Vince Foster's death years ago. All their smearing and spin and lies over the years, accusing her of doing outrageous things, even murder, is what created all the hate baggage.

Even when the election is over, they still have to senselessly continue to attack her. What a bunch!

Advertisers are pulling out from Hannity's show. Let's hope he goes the way of Riley, but they are not expecting that to happen, at least not yet.

No blowback - I guess there is no reasonable defence. (Edited - or even alternate defence.)

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Topic: Say It Differently Game
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:40:19 PM
Bovine animals produce a liquid from their mammary glands for their young and humans use it for themselves. The liquid used from cows is the most popular.

Some peoples' bodies do not like milk.

Topic: Just some nice stuff
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:19:53 PM
JJ, a friend just posted this pic on FB from Lake Pyramid, Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada. It is at the foot of Pyramid Mountain.

Topic: Very British Problem
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 10:11:31 AM
Interesting thread, Priscilla. I am waiting to get British feedback on it.

"Regards" as a signature offends? It is common in business email here. And we get coffee. What else would you do? Whistle

Topic: Just some nice stuff
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 10:07:01 AM
Beautiful, JJ. We both live in some of the most gorgeous landscapes on earth! How lucky we are. And how lucky that we both appreciate what we have!

Topic: Globalization’s ill effects have been wildly exaggerated
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:46:40 AM
Priscilla, we have lost so many good skills - carpenters used to take pride in their craftmanship, even when building kitchen cupboards. Wooden articles used to be made of solid wood. You should see some of the sloppiness that has become evident in the construction of our condo. They did everything the cheapest and fastest ways and it has cost the owners thousands of dollars repairing leaks to the foundation and roof over the party room and so forth. And this is the norm nowadays.

With the advent of synthetic drugs, we are losing the knowledge of the various herbs and plants that help us.

As a child I gutted and cleaned chickens on the farm. I stooked sheaves of wheat, mucked out stalls, and cleaned out gutters in the barn. I raised my own rabbits and pigs. I picked all kinds of fruit and vegetables on neighboring farms for spending money. It was hard work but my Dad always said a bit of hard work never hurt anybody. At 14 I bugged the manager of a department store for work and he finally gave me a job operating the elevator. I worked there in sales for ten years, and even after I became a teacher I worked weekends there. One summer I had two jobs - there during the day and evenings and Sundays at a Convenience store. We didn't have time to get into trouble. I was going to say the work ethic is different now but it isn't really. I know business people who work 70 hour weeks.

I can still sew and have tailored a woman's suit - but I don't do it anymore. I am too much of a perfectionist and it can be frustrating plus it costs just as much if not more to buy the materials.

I still bake my own bread and buns. There is nothing to it now I have a machine to do the kneading and have a great cutting board. When we spent the winters in FL, I kneaded by hand. But I do it and prepare all my own food out of necessity because of food allergy and chemical sensitivity. Also, you can no longer buy just plain bread that is mostly whole wheat that is also organic. Nowadays the public wants spelt and kamut so that is what the companies give them. And I can make it a lot lot more cheaply - a loaf of organic bread in Canada and FL runs around $6.00 a loaf or more.

I wish Drago would give his definition of globalization since he says it is different from trade so it must encompass more to him. I assume Immigration is one added factor.

This article from a few days ago mentions that there are other causes for job loss - taxation, social policies, and warfare are three he mentions.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/05/19/globalization-can-no-longer-be-the-scapegoat-for-worlds-problems-olive.html

Topic: change one letter game
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:47:56 PM
That would not seem to be possible.

Topic: "snuck" vs "sneaked"
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:38:42 PM
Priscilla,

Pleaded and sneaked are old-fashioned here. I don't remember when the last time was that I used either. We use pled guilty, and snuck out of the dormitory.

But I can't help you with what to use on tests. American TFD says both are used, but here is what the Oxford Dictionary says:

Pled - North American, Scottish, or dialect past participle of plead

Snuck - North American informal
past and past participle of sneak

Topic: Video Shows the Terrifying Moment a Sea Lion Yanks a Girl into the Water
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:30:18 PM
Christopher, it really did happen so fast. We have been in similar situations watching these animals in British Columbia and I was always nervous, making my son stay way back even though he protested.

"Fox News" tonight said the girl is ill and then repeated the story from yesterday saying there is a disease that she MIGHT catch since she did get an abrasion on her skin. Both she and the rescuer will get preventive treatment, probably antibiotics.

Why would they spin it that she is ill? Maybe they can't read. I saw that and was concerned until I read the very same story that had been printed yesterday by another source.

Topic: Donald Trump’s speech to the Muslim world was filled with hypocrisy and condescension
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:54:33 PM
Continuing the trip - this is at NATO.

https://youtu.be/Iimj0j4NYME

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.