The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,670
[0.92% of all post / 5.56 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Immigrant children held in inhumane conditions
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 3:19:38 PM
Conditions are horrendous and people, especially children are dying.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/doctor-compares-conditions-immigrant-holding-centers-torture-facilities/story?id=63879031

There are organizations that are mobilizing to help the influx of immigrants crossing the Texas-Mexico border and you can go online to get a list if you wish to help these legal refugees and their children.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Topic: Immigrant children held in inhumane conditions
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 9:36:14 PM
#CloseTheFfgCamps

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Topic: A missed call
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:26:05 PM
Just an addition to what has already been explained: There are really two sentences or ideas there.

It is either "I couldn't answer. I was (have been) busy." OR I couldn't answer as I was (have been) busy.

I prefer the I "was" busy at that moment when the phone rang tense.

As FD says, someone might be ticked if you were too busy just watching the news to answer. It is usually best not to give excuses for any social interaction you didn't or don't want to do.

Edit - just cross posted with Ivan so until Thar gets back he just means that both tenses are grammatically fine and it is a matter of preference or that the verb you are working with may change the situation.

Topic: Will this embarrassment ever end
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 10:03:58 PM
Towan, I gave a copy of your essay to my husband. His comments: well written, how true, and did I get the significance of the "Here's Your Sign" comment. Which I hadn't. He couldn't remember the comedian's name so I researched and got this video.

https://youtu.be/ZBjelRDKHUk

We saw Bill Engvall a long time ago on a comedy show with another comedian, Jeff Foxworthy, who is famous for his, "You might be a redneck if" comedy. Both are funny.

That is probably because when people laugh at themselves, instead of others, it really is funny so leaving comedy to the comedians might be a good idea.

https://youtu.be/vwlny1hcUh0 You might be a redneck.

Topic: Association with no common consonants
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:10:29 PM
strong

Topic: Association game
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:08:53 PM
money

Topic: Association from the last letter
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:06:10 PM
lawnmower

Topic: A and Q
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:01:16 PM
So what did YOU tell your wife when you got home from the hotel, Anton?

A Jacuzzi hot tub

Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:18:56 PM
Towan, I think your thread is pretty much hijacked so will continue doing so. Whistle

I was thinking more about the "Continental Drip" sculpture. From a cursory look I don't think he won a prize, and yet the symbolism is pure genius. There were other criteria for the judging too, but I'd have voted for this one as first or at least first in a category for symbolism.

The title "Continental Drip" - play on "Continental Drift". The human hand around the cone with the ice cream dripping as the hot continents and oceans slide down. Did I miss anything? Whether or not one sees it as an indictment of Canada, US and rest of Americas is up to the individual viewer.

https://www.texassandfest.org/2019-results/ I love the "Save the Elephants" sculpture too.

About this sculptor:

https://www.texassandfest.org/project/jeff-strong/

This is what I remember as being good about America.

Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:30:54 PM
FD, Don't mix up your words with mine. I never said that. They were all thinking and doing sand sculptures. Some very beautiful ones. Photo was of first prize.

Thanks for the apt acronym Towan - I looked it up and have to remember it. 😀

What do you make of this one? It is called Continental Drip.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.