Number of Posts: 113
[0.01% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Inch or Inches?
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:34:13 AM
Recently, I read a book where a person was partly described thus:

He was Six feet one inches tall.

Is the sentence correct?

Or should it be "He was six feet one inch tall" as one is singular.

Please note the use of plural feet in "six feet".

Would like to know expert's comment on this.

Regards

C K
Topic: TNT is the bomb.
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 5:41:16 AM
TNT is explosive when detonated and that's a bomb.

Regards

CK
Topic: "Went wrong" and "had gone wrong"
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 4:56:34 AM
Very well explained by thar and dragOnspeaker had given further clarity. The examples are truly exemplary.

Thanks
Topic: "Went wrong" and "had gone wrong"
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 1:17:57 AM
" Something went Wrong"
"Something had gone wrong"

What are the differences in the meaning of above sentences?

Would be grateful for answers.

Regards

C K
Topic: Words Within Words game
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 1:14:04 AM
Words within words is not featured in my home page. I can play the game (old version) only if I lose word hub. Words within words is not featuring in my page when opening in my PC. Curiously though, it opens in the mobile. I would like to play both word hub and as well as words within words in my PC as it is more convenient and less physically exahusting. Please suggest what to do..
Regards
C K
Topic: 19 or nineteen?
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 7:44:01 AM
Mr. Ashcot 50,

Thanks for your observation. But I'm afraid that either you have misunderstood what I really wanted to say or I didn't know how to express it in proper manner. I am very well aware that no native English speaker or for that matter, anybody who uses English for communication would say "I am One and Nine".

I am merely trying to compare the usage of a numerical value to its word. I wouldn't dream of using it- specially with regard to age. Just tried an example. I am sorry I couldn't come up with a better one.

I pray you may go through the question again. Prima facie it refers to the age. It could also be a number allotted to a person in situation where persons are identified by numbers.

Whatsoever it may be, I agree with you completely.

Regards

C K
Topic: 19 or nineteen?
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:54:41 AM
While speaking, as nineteen year old can't be mistaken for ninety year old, it is safe to say "I'm Nineteen" instead of saying something like "One and Nine"which is not natural. But while in writing such as essay / articles etc, one can write the number "19".

While submitting a quotation, it becomes mandatory and safe to mention the number 19 and also write in words like (Nineteen) to make it sure.

Of course while preparing a spread sheet where cell reference is taken for calculations by the computer, it should be "19" only.

Regards

C K
Topic: Controlled Opposition in the US
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 1:32:40 AM
Thank you very much. This is the first time I am coming across a phrase like this. Well explained.

Regards

C K
Topic: Human nature is so well disposed towards those who are in interesting situations, that a young person, who either marries or...
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 12:49:03 AM
Sure!!! Praise is often obtained posthumously.
Topic: DUMP Hillary!
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 12:24:04 AM
All human beings agree that the terrorism has to be stopped. USA being an only super power, it should lead the way. Only if you want to create records like electing the first colored President and now a woman President, go ahead, vote for the lady. I have already preferred a person who takes no nonsense stance against terrorism.

Regards

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.