User Name: Russella
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: World's Fair Starts in Seattle, Washington (1962)
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:23:58 AM
President John F. Kennedy lied about claiming to be too ill to attend the ceremony because he was otherwise occupied with the Cuban Missile Crisis at the time.
Topic: Blood Eagle Torture
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:21:01 AM
King Ælla of Northumbria, Halfdan son of King Haraldr Hárfagri of Norway, King Maelgualai of Munster, and possibly Archbishop Ælfheah of Canterbury were reportedly victims of this gruesome and macabre torture.

I believe that the historicity of this practice is apocryphal.
Topic: Spelling Bee neurons question: please help
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:18:06 PM
Thank you, Farlex staffer. Yes, I now see the neurons for both in the current activities list. I see only Spelling Bee practice but not Spelling Bee in the 5 day summary, though. From what you wrote, if I understand correctly, this is because the 5 day summary list is already full with other items. This is also why Match Up and Mismatch are not in the list, either. Correct? If so, thank you for your prompt assistance. :)
Topic: Spelling Bee neurons question: please help
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:50:12 AM
Hello. Whenever I play Spelling Bee against other players and win games, such activity no longer appears to raise my neuron count like it used to.

It also no longer appears in the profile list entitled "Neurons summary - last 5 days". Does this mean that wins in this game are no longer applied towards TFD neurons?

I have been having the same issue with the Match Up and Mismatch games. I usually get 100% correct, but played games stopped appearing in my five day neuron summaries many months ago. Can a staff member please explain to me why and if there is a remedy?

Thank you!
Topic: Spelling bee, Query.
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 4:14:32 PM
Thank you for your concise reply, March Hare. I have observed the same phenomena as Mr. Fowler, and been surprised and chagrined at times, but your response is accurate, as I have noticed that the point system is heavily influenced by rank.
Topic: Hobo Convention
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 3:22:06 PM
JUSTIN Excellence wrote:
A hobo wanders and works, a tramp wanders and dreams and a bum... neither wanders or works.

Happy Holidays!

Topic: Calogero Vizzini (1877)
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 2:43:29 PM
Think Thank you for elucidating this, Magda. I agree with richsap in that this a**hat deserves no celebration. However, the contribution he made to heroin addiction worldwide is sobering and a lesson in evil as indifference plus greed.

monamagda wrote:
In 1946, while the Mafia was rebuilding, the US freed top gangster Lucky Luciano from his New York prison, deporting him to Italy. He contacted his friend Vizzini upon arrival, and the two helped construct an enormous drug trafficking network. Law enforcement did not interfere with the project. Morphine base arrived from the Middle East and was made into heroin at a Palermo laboratory Vizzini ran—which fronted as a candy factory—then shipped to the US.

The number of addicts there was near 20,000 at the war’s conclusion. In 1952, two years before Vizzini died, it was 60,000. Heroin dependence plagued 150,000 US citizens by 1965.

http://www2.alternet.org/drugs/meet-cias-10-favorite-drug-traffickers
Topic: Last Pair of Great Auks Killed (1844)
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 4:33:37 PM
This is one of the saddest, most unbearably cruel demises of a beautiful population I have ever read. It is easily one of the saddest stories I have ever read, also. Humans are so barbaric and insensitive. All of this torture and extinction, for feathers. Really? To lay their stupid heads upon. The extinction of so many species and global warming have made me lose hope in the human race.
Topic: WordHub: The new word search app!
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 12:19:12 PM
TFD wrote:
Please provide some more details so we can investigate.

There are computer programs that unscramble words for you, as well as websites. These, along with double screens, can enable some of the highest ranking WordHub players, such as NeuroticHellFem, to enter every single word possible from a given puzzle, more than any human can physically type, in order to get a perfect score every time.
Topic: Most successes are unhappy. That's why they are successes—they have to reassure themselves about themselves by achieving...
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 1:17:29 PM
Daemon wrote:
Most successes are unhappy. That's why they are successes—they have to reassure themselves about themselves by achieving something that the world will notice.

Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

I think this means that success takes one hostage and makes one a prisoner of its insatiable hunger for recognition, whether it is in the form of money, public adoration, accolades, or even self-satisfaction. To escape this is not easy . . . I have been trying for 24 years, looking to Epictetus for the direction and guidance to live a life unhindered by such needs and grasping, for my "successes" are those that society does not sing for or even recognize.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.