Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 54
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: deprecate
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:11:16 PM
Deprecate, what a stupid word.
Topic: The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his own works.
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:18:58 AM
"Brave" men throughout history have "carved out fortunes. Many have carved them right through the hearts and lives of others. I suppose that they too are the children of their works. The spoiled, the entitled and the selfish. I doubt this was the intent of Cervantes quote but it's important for people that use words like this as a guide today. Don Quiotix was a selfless idealist,insane but and idealist.
Topic: I do not say a proverb is amiss when aptly and reasonably applied, but to be forever discharging them, right or wrong, hit or...
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 12:56:57 PM
I feel this same way about Zen Koans. Alone they can be profound but throw too many of them around and they tend to lose their power. I believe the same could be said for Sancho and his proverbs. While they were some of my favorite parts from the book in real life they might have been a little aggravating.
Topic: loquacious
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:45:48 AM
This is one of those words that fits it's definition well. A loquacious person would love to use loquacious.
Topic: In fact, now I come to think of it, do we decide questions, at all? We decide answers, no doubt: but surely the questions...
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:41:36 AM
As a teacher I've learned that questions don't "decide" us. Questions lead us, often in directions contrary to our expectations. In the end it is not even how we respond or answer a question that is important but the road we take to formulate those answers that is important.
Topic: lissome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:05:55 AM
White collar criminals find the laws that govern their monetary discretions lissome and obfuscatory.
Topic: Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law.
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:02:30 AM
Everyone is equal under the law (at least we're getting closer on this one). Those who make the law are under the same obligation as everyone else, it is neither more or less strict for them. At the same time when our lawmakers break the law it not only sets a bad example but makes us question the veracity of the laws being created by lawbreakers.
Topic: Failure after long perseverance is much grander than never to have a striving good enough to be called a failure.
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:13:11 AM
"Never try never fail, that's my motto."
-Robots
Topic: I believe there's no proverb but what is true; they are all so many sentences and maxims drawn from experience, the universal...
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:19:21 AM
Perfectly illustrated by Sancho Panza in "Don Quixote". Sancho had a proverb for EVERY occasion. I can't help but thing that Cervantes pulled many of Pancho's from his own repertoire.
Topic: One does not jump, and spring, and shout hurrah! at hearing one has got a fortune, one begins to consider responsibilities,...
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 10:16:54 AM
Wow, I really need to read some Bronte. English society was always so restrained. I'm a rather reserved person but I think if I suddenly found myself with a fortune there would be a fair amount of jumping and shouting before I got down to pondering all the responsibility unless it came with some Faustian, Monkey's Paw type twist.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.