Statistics
Number of Posts: 250
[0.03% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: per cent
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:08:46 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Boo hoo!

That's what I am talking about you are impudent and you like lecturing others while you want lecturing yourself. Ни стыда ни совести, свинья всегда свинья, даже если она играет на скрипке.
Topic: as well as
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:02:27 AM
This one wouldn't work?

Emma works full time as well as studies for her master's degree; she's remarkable.

Are these OK too?

"She manages a shipping company as well as coach a football team."

"He earned a Proffessorship in Ancient Greek, as well as receive music awards for his hip-hop."

" She managed to fend off a grizzly bear, as well as give birth, in a snow storm."
Topic: That was the first time I have done or I have ever done, ..., I did
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:56:48 AM
I am not sure but it seems to me that it depends on whether you have done it again since the first time you did it.

Last year was the first time I've ever done it. (I think it's OK if you haven't done it a second time since then)
It was the only time you have ever done it.

Last year was the first time I had done it. (I think it's OK if you have done it a second time since then)
Now you have done it more than once.
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:47:25 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Boo hoo!

Не засоряй эфир.

Why do you think you can tell people what to do? Dancing

Also, it is not very polite to write in Russian on an English speaking forum. People who don't speak it may wonder if you're f. everybody off, or what..

Why do you think that you can post an image instead of an answer and think you can get away with it. It's not polite. And you had better learn yourself what is polite, man. Got it?
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:26:52 AM
taurine wrote:
I had read through the book written by Robert Greene and 50 Cent entitled "50th Law". Because of it I have no idea of any percentage of a hope in man.

You don't have to know it. The question was about the correctness of the sentences in terms of grammar.
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:11:01 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Boo hoo!

Не засоряй эфир.
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:51:10 AM
Which one is not wrong? (The style is not so important)

1 Basically every man consists of 50 per cent of hopes and the other 50 (per cent) of worries.

2 Basically every man is 50 per cent of hopes and the other 50 (per cent) of worries.

3 The average correlation of hopes and worries in every man (in per cent or in percentage) is roughly fifty of the former and fifty of the latter.

4 The average percentage correlation of hopes and worries in every man is roughly fifty of the former and fifty of the latter.

5 The average correlation of hopes and worries (in per cent or in percentage) in every man is roughly fifty of the former and fifty of the latter.
Topic: what is good
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:44:34 AM
Loyauj_81 wrote:
Conditional clauses are always written in affirmative sentences.

1 Not always
If you were me would you do it?
2 What do Conditional clauses have to do with this thread?
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:42:37 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
That's right, I was about to blow up, but now I've understood what you meant by Helen's, so we all are going to be alright. Applause

So Helen's is the place.

Then I think the second one should be:

He danced as well as was going on rampage at Helen's.

Of course not.

It could be:
He danced as well as going on the rampage at Helen's.

But I want to see if this one is OK

He danced as well as went on the rampage at Helen's.
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:40:08 AM
thar wrote:

It is an odd pairing. Dancing is normally at a venue but going on a rampage requires a few streets at least.

More importantly, it is not additional. 'as well as' seems odd.

But for the grammar point - it can be used with different forms. It is not a conjunction where the parts need to be parallel. It is an adverb so it modifies the whole phrase.

Helen owns a few streets.

Are you saying that both are OK?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.