Number of Posts: 748
[0.08% of all post / 0.60 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Grammar
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 9:20:47 AM
I would use commas before and after "an IAS Officer"
Topic: didn't shout at him to scare him
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:06:38 AM
2b seem OK, but I don't think a's convey the same meaning. I am also not sure about 1b. However, in order to prevent any confusion in meaning, I would say something like:

"I did not shout at him, for fear he'd be scared; I spoke softly."
"I shouted at him not to scare him, but because he has difficulty in hearing"
Topic: Last Minute
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 1:35:16 AM
How about short-notice?
Topic: power bank
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:39:24 AM
"Power Bank" is the term as far as I know
:-)
Topic: Information needed
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:34:40 AM
Here "basic information neeeded" is short for "basic information that is needed"; and is a noun-clause. You can check this link for more information:
Topic: Condolences to London re Tower Fire and the US re Homegrown Political Shooting
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:47:43 AM
It must have been horrible. My condolences and deepest sympathies to the families touched by these horrendous events. Unfortunately, we are used to such terrible events around here.

I hope the investigation can identify the root cause of the incident and necessary measures are taken with haste.
Topic: What is the term which substitutes for 'petite in size'?
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:38:56 AM
I think just "petite" instead of "petite in size" would be sufficient.
Topic: Be lost
Posted: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:17:58 AM
Since poems do not conform to grammatical rules, it is not easy to talk about grammer in a poem.

However, since it is something else (i.e. not the field) that is lost, we need the "be" there. You can consider the sentence to mean something like: "What is lost in the field?", though not exactly.
Topic: esplanade
Posted: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:24:11 AM
esplanade (ˌɛspləˈneɪd; -ˈnɑːd)
n
1. a long open level stretch of ground for walking along, esp beside the seashore. Compare promenade1
2. (Fortifications) an open area in front of a fortified place, in which attackers are exposed to the defenders' fire
Topic: publish
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:45:24 AM
Hi,

The sentence is actually about a book being published in the US. The fact that the author of teh book is Russian is non-essential or supplementary. Therefore, you put that part in between the commas. The sentence does not lose meaning even if you remove the part between the commas; that part is therefore non-essential.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.