Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 762
[0.08% of all post / 0.58 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is the comma needed?
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:15:24 AM
I would keep it (true to my using commas where I would normally pause when reading/speaking). The sentence is better with the comma IMHO.
Topic: Which is the correct preposition?
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:13:18 AM
I would say:

After recovering from his illness, he shared his experiences and about how his faith, he is a(n) X, helped him through this difficult period.

Here X can be a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, etc.
Topic: Baseline coverage
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:01:51 AM
I agree with Dragon and Sarriesfan. "Baseline" is a wrod we use a lot in my line of work; so my mind automatically went with the base description initially, without considering "coverage". I tried to correct myself in my second post, but Sarriesfan and, as usual, Dragonspeaker explained it much better.
Topic: Advantage
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:30:08 AM
I would go with "of" in this context.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:29:10 AM
Actually, upon reading it several more times, I think it means that for some countries there is coverage for some portion of the population (which is baseline coverage, I think). For the others, they have to start from zero (or close to zero, with no data to understand how clsoe they actually are to zero); so they have to work harder.

I admit I mşigh be wrong, though...
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 5:14:57 AM
My understanding is that it means "initial set of data or measurements to form the basis of a comparison".
Topic: Maintain
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 5:13:14 AM
My understanding is that it means "to keep in a condition of good repair or efficiency". So, unless they are properly maintained (or looked after), they may not be able to provide safe water for long.
Topic: Counteractive
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:22:16 AM
counteractive: To oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary action; check (TFD).

But honestly, it depends on the context.
Topic: Wavelength
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 9:15:14 AM
I would say "with my father"
Topic: The young professional arrived quickly
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:25:06 AM
Both BoShilling and Romany made excellent points that I forgot to mention in my reply...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.