Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 236
[0.03% of all post / 0.30 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: revisiting "engage in business"
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:30:42 AM
Not long ago, I asked a question about "engaging in different professional fields" I had forgotten to include a few sources about it. I have written them down below.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melco_International_Development

Melco International Development Limited (SEHK: 200), formerly The Macao Electric Lighting Company Limited, is one of the 100 oldest companies in Hong Kong. It was founded in 1910 and was among the first 100 companies established in Hong Kong. It was listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 1927. It engages in leisure, gambling and entertainment, technology, and property businesses in Hong Kong, Macau, and the Philippines.

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_Lung_Group

Hang Lung Group (SEHK: 10), established in 1960, is listed in Hong Kong, engaging in property development for sales and leasing, car park management, property management, and dry cleaning businesses. Its subsidiary Hang Lung Properties is one of the largest property developers in Hong Kong, which also invests in the Mainland China market.

(3) https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/sic_manual.display?id=149&tab=description

Establishments primarily engaged in the design, development, and production of prepackaged computer software.

(4) http://jptedsi.ir/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/chapter-3-Demand-Why-do-people-engage-in-tourism-Tourism-Management-Fourth-Edition-2011-Pages-56%E2%80%9379.pdf

Demand: Why do people engage in tourism?

This chapter examines the reasons why people go on holiday and the
explanations developed to understand the motivating factors associated
with leisure travel. After reading this chapter, you should be able to understand ....

Based on how the verb "engage" is used in the quotes above, can I use it in my example below?

(ex) John is a very successful and resourceful entrepreneur, engaging in different types of professional industry.

Am I using "engage" correctly? Thanks for your help.
Topic: Are the writers using the wrong verb, garner?
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:09:09 AM
I found this verb, to garner, used quite a few times in the context below. Here are two of the sources and a few sentences that have this word.

(1) http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

India Post Bank is likely to tap World War-era tech to garner business. NEW DELHI: It is back to basics for India Post Payments Bank (IPPB). It is tapping into World War-era phone-based technology and its vast network of postman to target a customer base of around 850 million, which either have no access to telephony or still depend on feature phones.

(2) https://www.forbes.com

How To Build A Law Firm's Reputation To Garner New Business. The legal profession is under considerable strain. From an overwhelming mass of lawyers to highly cost-sensitive clientele to technology eating away at profits, law firms must focus on building their reputations if they are to survive let alone thrive. While the cornerstone of a law firm’s reputation is its legal expertise, other components come into play. Thought leadership and exceptional interpersonal relationships are two of them.

Does "garner" fit "business" as in "garner business"? Thanks for your help.

Topic: co-teach a course with
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:51:27 AM
I think it's correct to say:

(1) Tom and I will co-teach a physics course next summer.

Can I rephrase (1) in the following way?

(2) Tom will co-teach a physics course with me next summer.

Is "co-teach .... with" redundant? Thanks for your help
Topic: A place is "sunny".
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:46:59 AM
You can say: Today is sunny.

Can you say: A place is sunny. For example,

(ex) Mexico is sunny today.

Thanks for your help.
Topic: Does the future tense work in my example?
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:30:53 PM
I am going to write down part of my conversation with my friend below.

(ex) I said, "The summer is coming in a few months. Will you travel in the summer?"

My friend replied, "No, I don't think so."

I asked, "Why not?"

He said, "You know I took out a student loan five years ago for my three-year training program. It's going to take me quite a few years to pay it off."

In his last response, he used the future tense written in red. I think he should use the present continuous because he is making a small repayment every month.

Which tense do you think works better? Thanks a lot.
Topic: present perfect for "before"
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 12:46:18 PM
I have heard from a lot of people that you have to use the present perfect for "before".

(1) Jack doesn't want to climb Mountain Everest because he has done that before.

(2) Jack doesn't want to climb Mountain Everest because he did that before.

In my sentences, is it correct to use either tense for "before"? Thanks.
Topic: difference between "with" and "for"
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 12:22:55 PM
Suppose that John is a university professor. I am going to make up two similar sentences below.

(1) I want to work as a teaching assistant with John.

(2) I want to work as a teaching assistant for John.

What is the difference in meaning between "for" and "with" in my sentences? Thanks.

Topic: What do these terms mean?
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 1:25:08 AM
I don't understand these terms.

(1) emotionally demanding co-workers

(2) emotionally challenging co-workers

(3) emotionally difficult co-workers

Please explain them. Thanks a lot.

Topic: What is the difference between these two terms?
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 1:07:31 AM
I am going to write down two terms in red.

(1) behaviorally challenged students

(2) behaviorally challenging people

What is the difference between the two terms? Thanks.
Topic: shortly before
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 11:51:11 AM
I am sure that you can say something like

(ex) He came home shortly after I.

Can you say: "He came home shortly before I." ?

If "shortly before" doesn't make sense, how do you say it correctly? Thanks a lot.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.