Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 376
[0.04% of all post / 0.38 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: very sure or very certain ....
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 2:29:14 AM
I am going to make up two similar sentences below.

(A) I am very sure that you pressed the green button and not the black one.

(B) I am very certain that you pressed the green button, not the black one.

May I ask two questions?

(1) Is it correct to say "very sure" and "very certain"?

(2) In (A), I say "and not the black one". Is it grammatically correct to replace "and" with a comma as in (B)?

Thanks.
Topic: direct the question back
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 2:22:39 AM
Suppose that someone asks you a question and you want them back the same question.

I am going to make up an example about this.

(ex) Yesterday, we had a chess club meeting. When John asked me a personal question, I directed it back at him.

Can you say "direct the question back at someone"? Thanks a lot.
Topic: Can you say "money spending"?
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:03:21 PM
I am going to make up a sentence below.

(ex) Shopping with cash allows me to control money spending.

Does it make sense to say "money spending"?

Thanks a lot.
Topic: didn't or hadn't or haven't read it for a long time
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:23:08 PM
I am going to make up three similar sentences below.

(1) John didn't read poems for a long time. Yesterday, he decided to borrow a poetry book from the library.

(2) John hadn't read poems for a long time before he borrowed a poetry book yesterday.

(3) Because he hasn't read poems for a long time, he has decided to borrow a poetry book soon.

Do these tenses work for the phrase "for a long time"? Thanks a lot.
Topic: make something notable
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:42:27 PM
I am going to make up a sentence with "make notable"

(ex) The popular actor ABC, who frequently uses this not so well-known phrase, has made it notable.

Can I use "notable" in my sentence? Thanks a lot.
Topic: usage of constrict
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:34:02 PM
The online dictionary freedictionary.com gives a few definitions of the verb to constrict.

1. To make smaller or narrower by binding or squeezing.
2. To squeeze or compress.
3. To restrict the scope or freedom of;

I am going to make up two sentences with it.

(1) Tight clothing constricts me physically.

(2) Time and financial constraints constricted the scope of my research.

Am I using the word correctly? Thanks a lot.
Topic: Who's sentences are better?
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:05:06 PM
My non-native English speaking friends and I learn English from one another. We cannot afford the cost of English courses because we have to deal with a lot of expenses.

We appreciate the help from English forum members.

We did two exercises from a library book about writing concluding sentences. We compared our sentences and picked the two that we thought were the best. I have written them down below.

Exercise one

There are many reasons why I am against wearing my school uniform. For one thing, I don't like the style of the uniform. The navy blazer and plaid skirt are too conservative for me. Secondly, the uniform isn't comfortable. I prefer to wear baggy pants and a sweater instead of a skirt and jacket. Finally, I want the freedom to express my individuality through my style of dressing.

(1a) my concluding sentence: I prefer my choice of fashion which gives me comfort and highlights my special qualities.

(1b) my friend's concluding sentence: Without a school uniform, I can wear any clothes I like.

Exercise two

Credit cards have a lot of advantages. First of all, credit cards are convenient because you don't have to carry a lot of cash around. You can buy the products and services you need even if you do not have cash in your pocket. In addition, credit cards are very helpful in emergencies. Finally, you can become a better money manager as you learn to use credit cards responsibly.

(2a) my concluding sentence: Credit cards give me flexibility in money-spending and eliminates my worries for cash.

(2b) my friend's concluding sentence:
Credit cards provide convenience for my shopping needs.

Please do not revise our concluding sentences. We are not concerned about our grammar in the exercises. Could you please tell us which sentences fit the paragraphs better? Thank you for your help.
Topic: looking for an adjective about acting
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:33:49 PM
One of my friends likes acting a lot. He is not a talented actor, yet he shows a lot of qualities needed for an actor. I have come up with an adjective to describe him. But, I am not sure if it is correct.

(ex) My friend is dramatic.

I think the adjective is not appropriate. Could someone suggest a better adjective to me? Thanks a lot.
Topic: Can you use the past tense of "get back" in this situation?
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:28:44 PM
Yesterday, my friend sent me an email. He would like me to look after his house tomorrow night. I checked my email this morning and replied to his request. This is part of what I said in the email reply.

(1) I replied, "Sorry, I got back to you today because I was too busy to check my email yesterday."

After I sent him my email, I thought that it would be more appropriate to say

(2) ..."Sorry, I am getting back to you today ..."

I think it's better to use the present continuous because I am getting back to him at this moment.

Do you think I should use the simple past or the present continuous of "to get back"? Thanks a lot.
Topic: the fastest route
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:17:57 PM
I think it's correct to say:

(1) This is the shortest route to his house.

Can you say "fastest route" as in the sentence below?

(2) This is the fastest route to his house.

Thanks for your help.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.