Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 417
[0.05% of all post / 0.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "praise" a job
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:56:36 AM
My friend got a new job four months ago. Since then, he has been saying lots of good things about it. He is really happy and excited about it. His comments on it are always good.

Can you say:

(ex) My friend praises his job a lot.

Does it make sense to say that? Thanks a lot.
Topic: fight over two toys or the toy ...
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:51:51 AM
Suppose that Tom and Mary want to play a video game. Tom wants to play Game A and Mary wants to play
Game B. You can play only one video game on TV at a time. I am going to make up two sentences below.

(1) Tom and Mary are fighting over the two video games.

(2) Tom and Mary are fighting over the video game they want to play.

I am a little confused here. I think (2) fits this scenario better because Tom wants Game A and Mary Wants Game B. There is ONLY one game each person wants.

But, my friend thinks (1) works better because there are two games. I don't agree with him.

What is your opinion? Thanks a lot.
Topic: "still" at the end of a sentence
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:41:12 AM
I am going to make up a sentence below.

(ex) After ten years, you are working for ABC Company still.

Is it wrong to put "still" at the end of any sentences? Please help me. Thanks.
Topic: placement of "one each" and "each"
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:45:14 AM

(1) I will design birthday cards, one each, for eight of their grandchildren, including John, Mary, Tom, Jill, Vincent, Jessie, Elaine, and Bill.

(2) I printed an interesting article about each of the actors: Larry's movie and Joe's movie.

In (1), I mean one card for John, one card for Mary, one card for Tom and so on.

In (2), I mean one article about Larry's movie and one article about Joe's movie.

Is the placement of "each" and "each one" correct? Thanks a lot.
Topic: looking for an idiom or a word
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:28:22 AM
I am looking for an idiom or a word that is the opposite of the idiom "to get straight to the point". I am going to make up a scenario.

(ex) Suppose that your friend wants to borrow money from you. But he feels too embarrassed to ask you for money directly He doesn't get

straight to
the point. He tells you lots of things before he asks for money. He says something like three years ago, he lost lots of money in his

stock investments. Half a year after the financial loss, he had a serious injury which stopped him from working for a few months. Next, he lost

his job because his boss moved his business overseas. After that, he used his savings for gambling until last month, and so on.

I am looking for an idiom or a word which means that he doesn't get straight to the point. He tells a long story before he asks for money. Please

help me. Thanks a lot for your help.
Topic: Can I use both the past and present tenses in my sentences?
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 10:35:41 PM
I am going to make up two sets of sentences below.

all past tense

(1a) I told John yesterday that I would finish my project before I went on vacation next month.

(2a) I wondered why there was a cut in my thumb.

(3a) John said that my paragraph was boring and full of mistakes.

(4a) Did Mary tell John yesterday that her company was on ABC Street?

past tense and present tense combined

(1b) I will have my vacation next month. I'm talking to Mary about what I said to John.

I say to Mary, "I told John yesterday that I will finish my project before I go on vacation next month."

(2b) Suppose that I wondered about the cause of my cut ten minutes ago. I'm talking to my friend about that right now.

I say to Mary, "I wondered why there is a cut in my thumb."

(3b) Suppose that you are showing your friends your paragraph right now.

I say to my friends, "John said that my paragraph is boring and full of mistakes."

(4b) Suppose that I am talking to my friends about John and Mary. I know her company is on ABC Street.

I say to my friends,"Did Mary tell John yesterday that her company is on ABC Street?"

Here, the telling, saying and wondering were done in the past. So, the past tense should be used. The facts - I go on vacation, there is a cut, my paragraphs, and her company is on ABC Street - are still true. So, the present tense should be used.

Do you think I can combine the two tenses in all the b's? Thanks a lot.
Topic: join vs join in
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:36:20 PM
I am not quite sure about how to use "join" and "join in" the correct way. I will make up a few sentences with them below.

(1a) I will join you for lunch today.
(1b) I will join in your lunch today.

(2a) I will join you for your birthday party.
(2a) I will join in your birthday party.

(3a) I will join the hunt for the missing child.
(3b) I will join in the hunt for the missing child.

(4a) I will join the campaign against violence.
(4b) I will join in the campaign against violence.

My non-native speaking friends think you join "someone" for "something". We believe that for (3) and (4), it doesn't matter whether or not you add "in". What are your comments on our opinion? Thanks a lot.

Topic: to go
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:22:02 PM

(1) I will go to the library at 10:50am.

Does that mean I will get there at 10:50am. Thanks a lot.
Topic: fifth floor and floor five
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:19:23 PM
(1) This is the fifth floor.

(2) This is floor five.

I am sure (1) is correct. Is (2) correct or not? Thanks a lot.
Topic: week passes
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 5:22:13 AM
I am going to make up three sentences with the word "week".

(1) Every week seems to pass quickly.

(2) The week seems to pass quickly.

(3) A week seems to pass quickly.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

(1) is a general statement for my opinion about how fast time goes every week.

Regarding (2), suppose that today is Friday. This week ends soon. It makes me think about something special that happened in my family last Monday. It looks as if it happened just a few seconds ago.

I think (3) means time seems to go fast in any week.

Do my sentences make much sense? Thanks a lot.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.