Interests: Language in general, English in particular
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,071
[0.55% of all post / 3.46 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Used in the treatment , formulated to act
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 6:16:57 PM
OK, but needs a comma before "formulated". I wonder, too, about seeing "bronchodilatormedications" as a single word. (Maybe a typo?)

Topic: Roger Stone got arrested.
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:00:02 PM
Actually (or at least so I've read) more people voted for Clinton than for Trump; it's our quirky "Electoral College" method of weighted State-by-State voting that made him the winner of the election.

Topic: It is important
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:42:08 PM
Actually, the "it" of "it is important …" is a "dummy" or "expletive" pronoun. The actual subject of the clause is "to understand this".

Topic: Cold warm
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 1:05:07 PM
Around here they're usually called "skiers" or "snowmobilers".

"Chionophile" is an esoteric bit of biology jargon, not used (nor even recognized) by most people. (I had to look it up.)

Topic: Roger Stone got arrested.
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 12:37:16 PM
I've long been registered as a Republican, though I haven't always voted that way. I didn't vote for Trump, for fear of what might happen should he be elected.

Unfortunately, he was elected, and his effects on our country have proven even worse than I had feared.

Topic: first time that I
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 12:25:35 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
Possible?

A year ago was the first time I talked to Frank and I noticed that he wasn't sincere with me.

A year ago was the first time I had talked to Frank when I noticed that he wasn't sincere with me.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

Both sentences seem "fuzzy" at best.

The first one, with a comma inserted, could mean: "A year ago was the first time I talked to Frank, and I noticed that he wasn't sincere with me."
  (It was the first time I talked to him, and at that time I noticed that he wasn't sincere.)

Or, with the second "I" deleted, it would be: "A year ago was the first time I talked to Frank and noticed that he wasn't sincere with me."
  (We may have talked before, but this was the first time I noticed that he wasn't sincere.)

In the second sentence, the "when" seems out of place. I suspect the intended meaning is something like:
  "I had talked to Frank before, but a year ago was the first time I noticed that he wasn't being frank with me."

Topic: the first time + continuous
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:00:52 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
OK?
Tomorrow it will be the first time I am flying to the US.
(Tomorrow it will be the first time I will fly to the US.)

Clear enugh, but not what a native speaker would say. You don't need the "it" after tomorrow, and you don't need to over-indicate that it's about the future.

 "Tomorrow is the first time I'll be flying to the US."
 "Tomorrow will be my first time flying to the US."
 "Tomorrow will be the first time I fly to the US."

Topic: That was the first time I have done or I have ever done, ..., I did
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:04:11 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:

Note that I substituted wonderful for awesome. Wilmar's Rule Nbr 2: Strike "awesome", "amazing", and "incredible" from your vocabulary.

Remember Wilmar's Rule Nbr 1: Never in your life will you say you "have got" anything -- even in contraction form. This includes "haven't got".

:-)

You have GOT to be kidding!

Now that I've got that out of my system, with apologies to Wilmar, let me point out that (as has often been said) "Rules are made to be broken."

More seriously, simple rules are not necessarily applicable to all situations. There are always exceptions.

"Awesome", "amazing" and "incredible" are perfectly good words, with real meanings. Use them when they are appropriate — not when you mean something else. They are not appropriate synonyms for "exciting" or "very good".

Applause
Topic: record
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 4:04:45 PM
I don't like hearing complaints about "mankind" being sexist.

It's a slippery slope. If we change "man" to "human", then I suppose we should change "human" to "hu-person". But wait! "Hu-person?" Let's make that "hu-per-offspring" instead. That way nobody should accuse us of being politically incorrect, since they won't be able to figure out what we're saying.

Topic: so
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 5:06:31 PM
Or just "did not".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.