Interests: Language in general, English in particular
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,257
[0.54% of all post / 2.98 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: a fraction/a tiny bit
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 3:32:04 PM
(Actually, that's not what you asked, but I'll answer this new question anyway.)

"A bit of" anything may be "a small amount" of it -- not necessarily a single piece.

A piece of meat can be a large chunk, not just "a bit".

Topic: a fraction/a tiny bit
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 3:10:01 PM
Intrinsically and literally, there's no real difference.

But idiomatically, "a little bit of" or "a bit of" can simply mean "a little" -- that is, a small amount.

So "a little bit of meat" could refer to a small serving, which might consist of several small pieces.

Topic: Polemic
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 2:48:54 PM
Also: "… not to mention …"
Topic: Still waters run deep
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 2:44:49 PM
Hi, Romany -

Too bad about that earworm, but nobody ever promised you a rose garden.

Dancing

Topic: get/grow
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 2:34:36 PM
There's a difference of formality between, for example, "grew tired" and "got tired". If you're writing a story or a report you'd more likely use "grew"; in normal conversation you'd say "got" instead.

Topic: she cut her hair short
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:58:54 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:

I wonder whether "she cut her hair short" is correct. To me, the phrase implies that she cut her own hair.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

To me, the rest of the sentence ("… giving her a fresh take …") suggests that it was the process, not her own action, that mattered. Otherwise I'd have expected "giving herself" instead of "giving her".

Of course, that's not definitive. I'd have preferred "which gave her" (for the sake of clean grammar) but that wouldn't make the "who" of it any clearer.

Topic: she cut her hair short
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 4:03:22 PM
If you're concerned about parts of speech, let me say that "short" is really an adjective, even though you might expect an adverb here.

It's the same kind of usage as "Sit up straight" and "Stand up tall."

Topic: Firstly...Secondly
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 3:01:11 PM
Yes, of course it can be done, but in this case I think I'd rather see "Furthermore" or "Besides/Beyond that" instead of "Secondly".

("Also" would fit well here, too.)

Topic: most of the time
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 2:53:43 PM
As Romany says, shorter is usually better. (And simpler is almost always better, too.)

That's because the researchers found that clear phlegm very seldom harbored disease-causing bacteria.

Topic: you or yourself
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 2:45:35 PM
I sometimes feel that nowadays it's a mark of good education to be able to converse at any level at all!

Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.