User Name: NKM
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Language in general, English in particular
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,448
[0.42% of all post / 4.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ...propagation and new believers guidance meeting.
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 2:28:20 PM
Actually, I only mentioned getting rid of the word "combined" because I had failed to notice that Sureshot had already suggested deleting it.

Mea culpa!

Topic: ...propagation and new believers guidance meeting.
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 2:12:38 PM
As sureshot says, the "propagation-cum-new believers guidance meeting" construction is appropriate.

I wonder, though, if you really need "combined" with the "-cum-" version, which seems to indicate that it's a combination.

Topic: Under the leadership and direction of our Chief Priest...
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 2:07:16 PM
"Under the leadership and direction of …" is fine.

I'd recommend a comma after "Reverend Ishikawa" — assuming that that is an appositive (the name of the Chief Priest).

"Following the leadership and direction …" would be correct, but I think the original wording is better.

Topic: thought vs thoughts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 2:01:17 PM
Here, the word "thought" suggests a way of thinking, a body of concepts or a cultural outlook.

"Thoughts" would seem to represent individual ideas, rather than the overall views of the society.

Topic: the youth vs youth
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 1:55:14 PM
The meaning would not really change, but I think it is clearer as written, without the unnecessary "the".

Topic: Is "Just like this" correctly used?
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 1:19:00 AM
I suspect that "Just like this" is not used correctly. I say that merely because without context I can't be sure what it means.

Topic: Writing
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 1:12:43 AM
In the dictionary? All right — but this use of "writings" sounds as strange to me as to Tuna and Morgaen.

Why not just say "Both papers were so great …"?

Topic: restore
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:11:19 PM
Apparently there has been some kind of disturbance or disruption, causing the situation to become chaotic or "disorderly".

Now, the problems have been resolved, and the situation is once again normal: "Order has been restored."

Topic: level
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:30:10 PM
Presumably there are several separate "water supplies", and their "water levels" can vary independently.

Thus it would be appropriate to use the plural "levels" here.

Topic: to have the means of it out of mine
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:17:55 PM
I hadn't considered that, but it does make sense.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.