Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Language: What Is It?
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:41:02 AM
Daemon wrote:
Language: What Is It?

Humans are the only creatures to use a form of communication that scholars consider "language"—a system of spoken sounds or conventional symbols that communicates thought. Although some animals display similar social behaviour, linguists are reluctant to term it language, instead describing it as "animal communication." Still, some animals have been taught certain features of human language. Why are most animal languages considered "closed"? More...

I can't accept that u.s.a. citizens wouldn't be considered 'humans', as it would according to this trançant definition!!
Some are, I'm quite sure and I claim it loud!
Topic: Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum—"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 8:49:51 AM
Daemon wrote:
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum—"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Bad BAD Latin! Cogito doesn't mean 'I'm thinking but more like 'I'm meditating'!
"Reor me cogitans ergo opinor ego sum" this could be a more realistic translation of what he pretended to state
Topic: He that hath a satirical vein, as he maketh others afraid of his wit, so he had need be afraid of others' memory.
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:29:54 AM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
Pieter_Hove wrote:
Is that a threat? I don't get it.

No threat, I think. Just a clever observation, in my opinion. If one makes satirical remarks about people, some of those people may feel hurt or offended by his witty remarks and, provided they have good memory, may retaliate in some way or another. This is what Bacon meant in fact, I suppose.

Or maybe he meant that he would be remembered as a worse person as he was, using the memory as revenge, talking about him 'as witness' in a negative way?
Topic: He that hath a satirical vein, as he maketh others afraid of his wit, so he had need be afraid of others' memory.
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:18:52 AM
Pieter_Hove wrote:
Is that a threat? I don't get it.

… and what a kind of!!!
Topic: dilettante
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:59:52 AM
Mehrdad77 wrote:
Also a connoisseur

I not agree with it.
While 'connoisseur' (who KNOWS) has a positive meaning of admiration for his knowledge, 'dilettante' has ever a slightly contemning meanig of 'who does it for 'diletto', fun, and could be translated near perfectly with 'beginner'.
A 'dilettante' is the exact contrary of a professional.
Topic: confabulate
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:31:46 AM
monamagda wrote:

Confabulate is a fancy way of saying “talk.” If you’re feeling formal, you don’t chat with your best friend on the phone, you confabulate. Regular people talk, people wearing tuxedos and beaded evening gowns confabulate.

Confabulate means to talk, but it also refers to creating a memory that’s unreal, like a fable, without being aware of it. If you suffer from memory loss, you might confabulate to fill in the blanks. The word comes from the Latin com- for "together" and fabulari for "to talk," which comes from fabula for "a tale." Whew. For a long time, confabulate just meant “to talk” but the psychiatric sense came later.

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/confabulate

hmm… let's go a bit deeper: for the latin, fab-ULA means 'little talk' ('fari' means talking), but we can go even back in the time, to the Indoeuropean root 'fa', which gives also the Ancient Greek 'femì' (φημί), once again just 'talking' ('fa' is contained in countless words we hardly notice to be based on it, like infamous, fame, infant, affable…)
CON-FAB-UL-ARE means then 'DO (are) a LITTLE (ul) TALK (fab) TOGETHER (con).
Topic: panorama
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 2:49:34 AM
Once more, I encourage to remember the etymon of the words we're using, to be aware of its root, deeper meaning:
Pan (all) + orama (sight, from 'orao' = 'I see' in Ancient Greek)
From here, the meaning becomes 'e-vident' :-) (ex + video = I see, in Latin)
Topic: meretricious
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:52:21 PM
THANK YOU MONAMAGDA!
AT LEAST someone who gives a REAL contribute, not those empty 'bla-blas' like the 'definition' given abobe!
I'm not here to listen stupidities like " Attracting attention in a vulgar manner"; to have such a 'definition' I would ask a kid in kindergarden!

monamagda wrote:
Notes: The sense of today's word is barely a hop away from its original reference to ladies of the night, specifically to their flamboyant dress and the deceptive advertising it represents. The adverb is formed the usual way: meretriciously.

Word History: This word made its way into English from Latin meretrix (meretric-s) "prostitute". Meretrix is a noun derived from merere "to earn, deserve", so the concept of the working girl goes way back. The same stem appears in merit, borrowed from Latin meritum "earned, deserved", the past participle of merere. You are less likely to have guessed that today's word shares a root with turmeric. Turmeric, pronounced [têr-mêr-ik], the name of an anti-inflammatory curry powder, began its life as Latin terra merita "earth of merit". In Old French it became terre-merite "saffron", was borrowed as Old English tarmaret, and ended up in Modern English, of course, as turmeric. Currently in the US, this word is being converted by folk etymology into tumeric, without the R, probably by analogy with tumor, which is pronounced the same.

In Play: Here is a smidgen of a conversation overheard recently at the local gala winter ball: "I can't believe that outfit Maud Lynn Dresser is wearing to the Snow Ball! Even for her it is outlandishly meretricious." "Yes, I know. And her explanation, that it reflects her royal ancestry, is as meretricious as the outfit itself." "Well, at least she is consistent."

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/meretricious
Topic: The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for.
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 6:43:25 AM
It's a fake!
Homer did never write something like that and the 'quotes' in internet refers (when they does!) to something completely different ('Odyssey book VI (Nausicaa) v. 107!!!)
Topic: amatory
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 4:07:08 AM
Without an etymon, a definition is just a joke!
Amare (amo, amas amavi, amatum, amare), coming from Sanskrit 'kam' (loosing the 'k' as usual in Latin) which means 'desire', was the most pregnant word to describe the most complete and deepest feeling of love, including passion more than 'romantic' (beside the much later birth of this word!) feelings but NEVER just sexual.
Naturally the 'Ars amatoria' of Ovidio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Amatoria) is THE reference to look towards to understand in the better way the meaning of the word. There, the most sexual act described is the KISS, at the top rank of 'love acts' by the ancient romans.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.