Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ‪Please Help to translate from English into Dutch!‪ ‬
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:01:51 AM
berrynick wrote:
Hello,

I'm struggling to translate these sentences/phrases into Dutch and would appreciate if someone could please help.

Highly competent in managing, panel beating, spray painting, mechanical, manufacturing and general engineering.
Thirty eight years working experience that demonstrates exceptional skills.

Good experience in Panel Beating, Spray Painting, Mechanical Manufacturing, Sheet Metal, Lathe, Welding, Factory Maintenance Problem Solving, Fault finding
Training of Workers
Bicycle repairs & sales
Planning, organising and Scheduling Skills
Highly effective team player, capacity to work under pressure Deliver work of a high standard

Thank you

I'm sorry, I didn't notice this message untill just now.
I will try to translate those words for you, although some seem a bit out of context to me?

For example: competent in managing what exactly? I don't think I could give you a translation without knowing what you mean exactly. You are competent in "mechanical"... in doing what with mechanics? You mean you have mechanical skills? Being competent in manufacturing also sounds a bit broad to me. Manufacturing what from what with what? Or did you mean "mechanical manufacturing" like in the third sentence? "Mechanical engineering" would be "werktuigbouwkunde", or if you are a Mechanical engineer, you are a "werktuigbouwkundige".

Here's my first try, though:

"Bedreven in managen*, uitdeuken, verfspuiten, mechanische producties** en algemene werktuigbouwkunde***.
Werkervaring van 38 jaar, waaruit bijzondere vaardigheden zijn gebleken.

Veel ervaring met uitdeuken, verfspuiten, mechanische producties, metaalplaten, draaibanken****, lassen, fabrieksonderhoud en probleemoplossing, het vinden van defecten.
Training geven*****
Fietsreparaties en -verkoop
Vaardig in het plannen, organiseren en maken van roosters
Goede teamspeler, kan onder druk presteren en levert werk van een hoge kwaliteit"

Hope this helps :).

*(managing what though? Feels strange to write such a social skill in a list of working skills)
** mechanical productions, or mechanical manufactures... hope this is wat you meant.
*** "engineering" on itself can be translated in many different words. But it seems this is a skill far greater than just processing the materials? Isn't this the one competence you should name first?
**** lathe = draaibank... but isn't that more used for pottery/wood productions? Materials you don't mention here at all...?
***** I think specifying the kind of training you can give would be best.
Topic: A Song Of Ice And Fire
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:43:01 AM
DarkSoul wrote:
Well I've kind of got a new appreciation for the show so ...

How come? :)
Topic: Bilbo Baggins' quote - Could some one explain
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:32:51 AM
MiTziGo wrote:
I take it more as a backhanded insult to many of his guests. The second half of the saying, I interpret as, "Those of you that I do know, I don't really like." But he spins it by saying that he doesn't like them "half as well as they deserve," meaning he should like them more than he does, but he just doesn't.

The first half is a bit nicer "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like." He's saying, "I recognize that many of the people here are worth knowing, but unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to get to know you well and develop a fondness for you." Even this is insulting, because in all of his years, what was stopping him from getting to know them? He didn't feel it was important enough to make that effort.

Then again, if he did get to know them, he probably wouldn't like them anyway, given his proclivity to dislike people more than they deserve.

Overall, this is one of the most clever lines in all of literature.

Another thought...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I SHOULD like"... No one really mentioned the 'should' when explaining his words, but in how I see it, that word is pretty important? He states that Hobbit norms and values describe for him to be interested in other hobbits, or at least, to feel the need to know a lot about them. He thus distantiates himself from being 'that kind' of a hobbit, suggesting the other hobbits are snobs.

"And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" ... here, he adds to the fact he doesn't like them. They never gave him the urge to know them better, because as little as he knows about them, he even didn't like that part. So yeah, that's what you said MiTziGo ;). He even might be confessing he knows the part of him that 'dislikes' the other hobbits, is a curious part. They are all doing their best, living the happy, disconcerned life they live, and actually deserve more attention from him... but he has seen the bigger plan, he knows how the world works and just can't find himself to be interested in everyday life in Hobbiton anymore...

Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:03:24 AM
DarkSoul wrote:
Thanks, it does - I decided I won't read the books :D
I'd rather read something I don't already know.

Great, I hope you can enjoy the show as much as I do :) :D
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 8:11:07 AM
DarkSoul wrote:
Um... Any chance anybody knows if the Imp's or Arya's lines in the books ahead of the show?

Yeah people, let's quit talking about off-topic things Silenced Shhh .

Arya - last episode showed us more than we've seen in the books, but a little detail is still missing (not THAT interesting a detail, i.m.h.o. though);
Tyrion - last episode is actually REALLY close to where he is in the books, I don't think much will be won there, either (quite funny details actually :P);
Daenarys - this is a bit complicated. One major character will appear in A Dance with Dragons. I'm thinking they will introduce that character at the end of this season. Also, some spectacular things are still going to happen to Daenarys... so yeah. The books actually are a bit ahead.

Hope this helps.
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:27:23 AM
Some plots are even ahead of the books now, I believe George RR Martin and HBO worked out some way to secure the plot together... ;)
Sansa is ahead of here book plot for one, and actually a lot of the other characters are almost there... I don't know if I would bother myself trying to read the story in this stage, if your only goal is to learn more about the plot. Little will be added to your knowledge by that, you will still be left wanting for more (believe me, I am) and you'll still have the same feeling about knowing a great deal of what you read already from the tv series...

I loved the writing style and rich detail, so I would actually recommend the books from the beginning just to enjoy that :). I'd also seen the first two seasons when I started reading though, so I guess I know where you come from.
Topic: Why do Saudi Arabia, and all Muslim countries not ally with Iran to hit Israel?
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 5:58:52 AM
pedro wrote:
I'm all for political debate too but this is simply a call to violence. Didn't I read something in the guidelines about 'flaming'?

The OP didn't give a call to violence. He seems to be genuinly interested in the hypothesis of other Arab countries allying with Iran. He's not screaming: "LET'S GO TO WAR, BUDDIES!".

Personally, I feel quite worried about the politics and warfare in The Middle East at the moment. And moreover, I'm wondering about the media in those countries. I hope someone from The Middle East reads this and can inform me on how media in Arab countries are handling the situation with IS? Or other war-like situations? Are they all pointing in one direction, or are there discussions between different groups/ideas in your countries as well, openly? Or is it more like backstabbing eachother and politicians taking great care of what they say in public because they have a chance of getting assassinated for it?

Forgive me my ignorance on the matter ^^.
Topic: Retreatment/re-treatment?
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2015 6:20:48 AM
Absinthius wrote:
Thank you for te clear explanation NKM. I stand corrected!

Having given it a bit more thought, I think 'retreatment' really wouldnt fit into this context at all. It is a very Dutch thing to want to attach all kinds of prefixes to words and words together, so I get where Gaary is coming from. I dont think it is quite possible in this instance though.

As far as medical jargon goes, I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, I guess my Dutch comes through there :p. Thanks again though, it was helpful
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:20:53 PM
Okay, so re-treating someone instead of retreating, I thought it sounds better but still wonder if "retreatment" is absolutely wrong ^^.
On the matter of re-excising the patients, I'm afraid you're both wrong. I understand what you say, but it actually is how they phrase it in medical jargon/literature. It's doing the same procedure on the same location (in this case the vocal folds) again.
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:03:13 AM
karunadas wrote:
re-treatment=further treatment
retreatment=an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous, or disagreeable (2) : the process of receding from a position or state attained <the retreat of a glacier> b (1) : the usually forced withdrawal of troops from an enemy or from an advanced position (2) : a signal for retreating.

Thanks. :) Yes, your definition of "retreatment" is correct, but I think I'm basically asking if "retreatment" could also mean the same as re-treatment, which I think it can.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.