User Name: Lingo
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 46
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The synonym of "inform" in this context. Thanks.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 7:39:58 AM
"Machine learning can combine it with weather, traffic data, property crime data to inform the deployment of police patrols more precisely."

I am trying to explain this sentences to my friends in our mother tongue. So I need your answer, kindly help to clarify it. Thanks.

1) Will you please show me the synonym of "inform' in this sentence?

2) Does the "to inform" mean "in order to inform" in this context?

One more question, why is there no "and" before "property crime data"? Like this pattern - A, B and C.

Why not "weather, traffic data, property crime data"? The pattern of this is "A, B, C".

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes.
Topic: Why not "driving forces"? Thanks.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 7:31:58 AM
But they are actually a major driving force in evolution.

Isn't there any conflict between "are" and "a", why not "driving forces"?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170913-the-lab-thats-home-to-10000-spiders

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes.
Topic: Meaning of "and" in this context. Thanks.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 4:52:05 AM
thar wrote:
It doesn't mean 'then' in this example.

These are two statements about what is true now.

Looking at the definition list, it is just the first definition - additional information.

I can tell you that the harvest has started.

I can also tell you that many grapes have been picked.

I suppose there is cause and effect, as the grapes have been picked because the harvest has started, but that is not stated. If you wanted to say that, you would use a different conjunction.

Thanks a lot. Your clear answer really help me a lot.

By the way, will you help me with this question? I am waiting for the answer to my original and updated questions now.

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst178303_What-is-the-meaning-of--inform--in-this-sentence--Thanks-.aspx

All the best.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 4:30:14 AM
thar wrote:
The exact meaning is that it is a conjunction.
+
That is all.
Your English seems pretty good, so you must use it all the time!
I don't get what you are trying to find out here, in this specific example. That is why I wonder whether you are misunderstanding the first statement?

Because I am confused with the "and" related to many definitions, which can also explain it in my way. For example, "and" = but here. Because the second sentence is "have been picked" which seems to indicate "they start to pick them up before the harvest season, maybe some days earlier than that. So they can finish picking then sell out before others."

Or

"and" means "then" is Okay for me.

That is why I am so confused with it.

But now with your great help, I can know it better.

Thanks.

Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 3:32:29 AM
thar wrote:
It is a simple conjunction.
I think you might have a problem with what 'under way' means. These are two distinct statements, put together with a conjunction.

1 The vine harvest is already under way
and
2 many of the grapes have been picked.

Thanks for your swift reply. I really want to know the exact meaning of "and" in this sentence? Will you please show me the accurate meaning of it in this context?

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 3:22:03 AM
The vine harvest is already under way and many of the grapes have been picked.

What is the best explanation of "and" in this sentence?

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/and

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes.
Topic: What is the meaning of "inform" in this sentence? Thanks.
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:42:00 PM
"Machine learning can combine it with weather, traffic data, property crime data to inform the deployment of police patrols more precisely."

One more question, why is there no "and" before "property crime data"? Like this pattern - A, B and C.

Why not "weather, traffic data, property crime data"? The pattern of this is "A, B, C".

Thanks a lot.
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:00:26 PM
Romany wrote:

You're right, Lingo - it is a difficult meaning to grasp. It's a comparatively new usage and is mostly confined to academic writing.

It does come from the meaning of giving information, of course, but the actual verb 'inform' is used where it actually means "this information will be used as data in other programmes".

Here, it means that crime data are used in a programme to make police patrols more effective.

Thanks for your great explanation, but will you please show me the synonym of "inform' in this sentence, for I am trying to explain it to my friends in our mother tongue.

And
Does the "to inform" mean "in order to inform" in this context?

Many thanks.
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 7:13:00 AM

1) Does the "to inform" mean "in order to inform" in this context?

2) What is the meaning of "inform" in this sentence? (I don't think it means "to officially tell someone something, or to give them information about something" here, because the usage for that meaning is normally as "inform someone of/about something". SOMEONE comes directly after "INFORM", not SOMETHING.)

Many thanks.

Best wishes for you.
Topic: What are the differences between the two sentences? Thanks
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:54:31 PM
palapaguy wrote:
They mean the same thing, and both are colloquial. I think "by selling herbs" is the more grammatically correct form, but the other form is widely used as well.

Yes, now it is clear to me. Thanks a lot.

All the best.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.